• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus attempt

hyperguyver2

okay so it's official I am ready to attempt my turn to the dark side and I figure who better to start with the Dark Lord of hunger Darth Nihilus. however I am running into a snag. I am having a very difficult time finding the best material to make his cloak, skirts, and tunics. one thing I am noticing is a lot of volume and flow. I am aiming for the COTF version in I really want to do everything I can to exceed the CRLs so accuracy is very important on this endeavor.what I am wanting to know is what would be the best materials to make said robes, cloak and skirts?

There are 3 important things to consider when buying fabric; Weight, Drape and Stiffness. For Nihilus you will want something that has decent weight to it, and has good drape. But you don't want anything that is stiff. You will want something that hangs well when gathered up so that you get the nice billowy effect on the robes and cape. I went with a piano weave linen, which is similar to what costumers use to make Jedi inner robes. This is however expensive and warm fabric, but it does look amazing. Quite a few people here use Silk Noil (Raw Silk) fabric, which works really well.

Have you checked out Pam's page on how she made her husband's Nihilus? She has a great resource on her tutorial page: http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/robes.html

"We chose Black Raw silk, which is sometimes called Silk Noil, as the material for most of this costume. It has a rough, almost unfinished look to it as well as a semi-loose weave. This texture really helped with the shredding of the costume, as it allowed the threads to be more easily separated than they would be in a more tightly woven fabric. Because of my size and the many layers, the construction of this costume required nearly twenty yards of material, to provide the correct amount of drape and flow. We elected to purchase two bolts of black raw silk from Dharma Trading company for this, which is slightly more economical than purchasing the material by the yard."

Here is a link to Dharma Fabrics page for Raw Silk.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/rawsilk.html

Cheers,

Nef