• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Traya Wimple

Desdæmona

Hello, I am brand-spankin-new and working on my very first costume for the 501st. In looking at the wimple for Darth Traya, I was curious if a hijab could be used? Here is an example of one I found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Black-piece-Al-Amira-Style-Hijab/dp/B003PV8K3A/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_img_y

Any input is appreciated!

~Desdæmona

Welcome

Just made the Darth Traya myself and no a hijab can´t be used, because it wont sit as tight as a wimple do...

I actually toke my balaclava from my Biker Scout armor and used that as a basic for my pattern, I used thin lycra streech fabric, cut it like the balaclava and cut a bigger hole for the face ;)

Pattern for balaclava : http://www.pinterest.com/pin/226235581256409718/

Well, if I were you, I would buy a Balaclava and mod. that one, if you can´t afford to buy the fabric for making one from scratch.

You do know, that you will need to get leather for the headpiece and belt also and fabric for the dress, shirt and glove ?

As for a 501st. approval, you need good material and they don´t come cheap... but it is all up to you off course, how you want to make it, I´m just giving you some advice...

Yes, ma'am. I am aware of those requirements. I just believe in being thrifty. I'd rather spend more on good quality leather than on a wimple that is going to be mostly covered up. Hehe

The balaclava seems to be made from fabric intended for the purpose of keeping a person warm (cold weather item). Where the hejab is made with fabric to keep the wearer cool (modesty clothing). As I am in Southern California having cooler fabric is a must to avoid things like heat stroke.

I was able to locate a 'ninja hejab' that is a tight fitting one intended to be worn under an over scarf for under $5. Maybe I'll give the modification a try. The important part is that I adhere to the requirements, correct?

- The wimple covers the costumer's cheeks, chin, and neck, and it is long enough to tuck into the high collar of the shirt or dress.

-The wimple is tight fitting and accentuates the costumer's cheekbones.

Thank you for your direction. It is much appreciated.

You can get balaclavas in all sort of fabrics, many use them for different sorts of sports, both winter and summer - the one I use is made of thin lycra, streech fabric - Ninja style.

But it´s all up to you - don´t know, why you have your head set on a hijab, when you have to make a lot of mods on it instead of buying a balaclava for way under the price for the hijab, and where you "only" need to cut the face hole a bit bigger.

Here is a link for a balaclava = thin fabric, for only 2.35$ and free shipping :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-THIN-SKI- ... 5662a6a62a