• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Goggles?

Guest mdb

Kia ora all,

It's been a while, had an attack of life, well less an attack as an ongoing disagreement, and am getting ready to tackle the "hard" parts of the costume. Soft parts are underway and just need final tweaking.

I was curious about goggles as there are a couple of options that look good but for different purposes.

The goggles in the photo of Shannon as Mara look for all the world like ex-WWII Swiss snow goggles with the lenses replaced.

An example. and another but you can get them on ebay fairly cheaply also.

You can buy the modern equivalent still which are probably more easily adaptable anyway by removing the elastic strap.

The main problem is they look a little silly on. (Scroll to the bottom of the text on the left.)

The other option would be to use something like these airsoft goggle and replace the elastic or otherwise disguise the logo on it. They just don't have the flexibility of the bridge that the Swiss goggles do so don't sit the same way when worn around the neck. They will look better worn and also on top of the head though.

So I suppose the question is what would be the better option given I'm not likely to wear the things but more likely have them around my neck or on my head? And how dark should the lenses be to be accepted?

Which style of goggles you get really depends on which version of Mara you want to portray. There is a considerable amount of variety when it comes to the goggles in Mara's reference images, so you've got quite a bit of leeway when you pick your goggles.

Since my first Mara costume was based on the cover art from the Emperor's Hand comics, which had little more than a splash of color to represent the goggles, I got a rather plain pair off ebay and repainted them brown. But, now that I've reworked my costume to match the interior art from the Zahn trilogy comics, I need to replace my goggles. In those books, she wears goggles based on the aviator or motorcycle split-lense style.

SplitGoggles.jpg

Those are pretty easy to pick up on ebay or through aviator or motorcycle shops.... but they tend to come with a lot of padding around the eyepieces, which you have to remove. I got a pair and started reworking them, but never finished. (Too many projects!) And then, of course, there is the round and thin Decipher version, and the round goggles that she wears in the Emperor's Hand books...

Pam :-)

Darnit! I was just at a place yesterday with a pair of goggles (I believe the same sort were used for Anakin in TPM) that had flat angles lenses and thought they would be perfect to customise but they were clear. In the image you posted the lenses are clear but in my mind I was getting goggles mixed up and thought they were tinted. Sigh. I don't think they were for sale anyway;)

Anyway I found a source for ex-military goggles that are as per the decifer card and will be very easily customisable to be either as per the card or into something closer to the artwork I'm aiming for.

If anyone is curious they are ex-US stock and appear to be fairly recent so not quite as vintage as the snow goggles. I got to see the Swiss snow goggles (modern with the blue and black elastic) and I would say it would be better to get these US ones as the modern Swiss have metal flanges that would need to be altered quite a bit.

These goggles have small pin shaped cuts in the frame that are pushed down to hold the lenses in. The lenses are flat glass so are easily replaced with tinted acrylic. The bridge is a strip of leather lapped and topstitched and easily replaced the elastic band is easily removable and has metal slide fasteners to adjust the size.

The base metal is brass painted in an enamel paint that chips off easily so I bought a second pair to steampunk with blue or green lenses;) For mara I plan to take all the paint off prime and paint them black.

The edge near the eye is over sewn with some greyish velveteen/velour so again easily removable to be more like the Decofer or other versions with oval lenses.

All in all a very good buy and no more than I would have paid to get some shipped to me from overseas sight unseen.

I will be posting progress of the customisation on my costume lj but will post pertinent details over here if anyone is interested.

They also had goggles I believe of the same kind that they used in Hogfather for Ridcully.

Guest Anonymous

I've bought my goggles and before i goto town on them i am dble checkin that i have to remove the padding on the eyes?

They are the round blk ones to be worn around the neck area, also what color lense as i have blk clear and amber with them.

Thanks

Clair :D

Guest Anonymous

hey everyone... i know this topic is almost a year old...

but i just started working on the costume and researching... and you girls [ and guys] are an amazing help!!!

so... i just wanted to ask what you think of these goggles!!

i have seen a lot of pics [ not only the reference pics but also from people that had their costumes accepted either by 5O1st or Rebel Legion, and the y look different from each other...

so... i found these... they were not expensive... I think!!! hahaha. compared to other ones i found they were cheap... and believe it or not... i found it on this [ebay] goth store.

the link to the ebay store is there too in case you think is a good one!!

and if you think it's not... pelase let me know.

thanks

http://gattirenata.livejournal.com/tag/goggles