• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KOTOR Nihilus questions

Guest RinzlerTron

Guest RinzlerTron

Okay! So I've just now started working on my friend's KOTOR Nihilus... but I have a few questions about it....

There aren't many KOTOR Nihilus' out there, so it's somewhat hard to find any answers to these questions.

First off: Can the tunic be attached to the skirt? I had an idea about this, and I feel like doing this may make the suit look more flowy and make the tunic look better.

Next question: Some of you may have seen the mask I've sculpted. It's got the KOTOR 2 shape down to a T (in my opinion). But, I have added some slight cheekbones to it, because without them, it just didn't look as detailed and menacing (and because another member on here who has a freaking amazing Nihilus told me the reasons why he added cheekbones to his.... and then I just couldn't resist!)

Next question: Does anyone have any suggestions and or pattern of how the cowl should be made? A pattern would be just great!

Last question: The padding on the chest, what exactly is this? Can I see an example, or if I used some thick EVA foam, shaped it like a chest, and attached it to the under tunic, would that look right?

Edit: Also forgot the other question I had... does the cape have to be made of one solid piece of material, or can it be more than one piece sewn together?

The first thing to always take into account with the KOTOR Nihilus is that most reference is taken off of his in game model. The trouble with this, it that there were a lot of corners cut in his model to keep the poly count down, as it is a massive game. Most of the characters have odd things going on in their outfits when looking at the game models. That is just how game creation is. Games have to be below a certain size in terms of memory, and so lower poly counts help with this. With this in mind, while it is good to stay as close to his design as possible, somethings will always look a little different in real life. An example of this is the eyes on his mask. Looking at the game model, they aren't rounded out on the bottom, they are actually sharp angles. However, when sculptures make his mask, they make the eyes rounded because we know that is how they are meant to be. So always approach a KOTOR Nihilus with a little bit of an open mind on how he should look.

First off: Can the tunic be attached to the skirt? I had an idea about this, and I feel like doing this may make the suit look more flowy and make the tunic look better.

Yes, you can have them as one piece, and many have done that. The thing to keep in mind when doing this is that the top part of the tunic is somewhat tight across the chest, then as you get to the waist there is a lot of extra fabric. This look can be hard to pull off with one long robe, which is why a lot of Nihilus cosplayers do the 2 piece.

Next question: Some of you may have seen the mask I've sculpted. It's got the KOTOR 2 shape down to a T (in my opinion). But, I have added some slight cheekbones to it, because without them, it just didn't look as detailed and menacing (and because another member on here who has a freaking amazing Nihilus told me the reasons why he added cheekbones to his.... and then I just couldn't resist!)

So you didn't actually ask a question in here, but I am going to assume you are checking if the cheek bones on the KOTOR mask are alright? For approval into the 501st, yes you can have the cheek bones.

Next question: Does anyone have any suggestions and or pattern of how the cowl should be made? A pattern would be just great!

For mine I just sorta played around with different techniques till I got it to work. It's hard to use a standard pattern as it will depend on how it will fit around the crown and "cat ears". I did a lot of hand stitching on this part of my costume to get everything to sit just right.

Last question: The padding on the chest, what exactly is this? Can I see an example, or if I used some thick EVA foam, shaped it like a chest, and attached it to the under tunic, would that look right?

I've seen people use Eva foam and make their own, I've also seen people use the Stormtrooper breast plate underneath. Another Nihilus I know just used 3 layers of quilters cotton batting for his chest... but that is a very warm option, hehehe. What ever gets the correct shape under the fabric will work. Eva foam at least has some bend, and so will be more comfortable to wear.

Edit: Also forgot the other question I had... does the cape have to be made of one solid piece of material, or can it be more than one piece sewn together?

It can be 2 pieces sewn together. You want it to be super full, so this means you will probably have to sew 2 or even 3 pieces together. If it is full and flowy enough then you won't notice the seams where the pieces join.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest RinzlerTron
The first thing to always take into account with the KOTOR Nihilus is that most reference is taken off of his in game model. The trouble with this, it that there were a lot of corners cut in his model to keep the poly count down, as it is a massive game. Most of the characters have odd things going on in their outfits when looking at the game models. That is just how game creation is. Games have to be below a certain size in terms of memory, and so lower poly counts help with this. With this in mind, while it is good to stay as close to his design as possible, somethings will always look a little different in real life. An example of this is the eyes on his mask. Looking at the game model, they aren't rounded out on the bottom, they are actually sharp angles. However, when sculptures make his mask, they make the eyes rounded because we know that is how they are meant to be. So always approach a KOTOR Nihilus with a little bit of an open mind on how he should look.

Yes, you can have them as one piece, and many have done that. The thing to keep in mind when doing this is that the top part of the tunic is somewhat tight across the chest, then as you get to the waist there is a lot of extra fabric. This look can be hard to pull off with one long robe, which is why a lot of Nihilus cosplayers do the 2 piece.

So you didn't actually ask a question in here, but I am going to assume you are checking if the cheek bones on the KOTOR mask are alright? For approval into the 501st, yes you can have the cheek bones.

For mine I just sorta played around with different techniques till I got it to work. It's hard to use a standard pattern as it will depend on how it will fit around the crown and "cat ears". I did a lot of hand stitching on this part of my costume to get everything to sit just right.

I've seen people use Eva foam and make their own, I've also seen people use the Stormtrooper breast plate underneath. Another Nihilus I know just used 3 layers of quilters cotton batting for his chest... but that is a very warm option, hehehe. What ever gets the correct shape under the fabric will work. Eva foam at least has some bend, and so will be more comfortable to wear.

It can be 2 pieces sewn together. You want it to be super full, so this means you will probably have to sew 2 or even 3 pieces together. If it is full and flowy enough then you won't notice the seams where the pieces join.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Thank you so much! You are a huge help! :D

Yeah, about the mask, that's exactly what I was asking hahaha!

You're right.. the bottom may not be as flowy if I don't make the tunic two piece.... I may play around with it, and once I do some stuff and take some pics, I'll turn this into a WIP thread :)