• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Back of the cuirass

SuperFLY

Hey all,

I am hopefully in the next few weeks getting hold of a custom made revan costume.

It's made by someone in the UK which works out well for me and having spoke to a few people the picture examples look pretty good and the price was reasonable so am hoping, with some minor modifications, it'll be clearable :)

The problem I have is it only comes with the breastplate, not the back piece.

I have tried searching the forums for anyone who's made their own and what methods they used but I haven't had a lot of luck.

I asked the person about making one and they said they haven't and didn't want to spend time making something that's never seen so looks like I'll have to make it myself.

And in that comes my question.. does anyone have any information/threads on how you would make the backpiece?

I guess one method would be to sculpt it onto a mannequin and van form some abs. only 2 problems with that.. no mannequin and no vac former :D - its not something im against getting however, i do have some pegboard and a few other 'items' in my watch list on ebay to make a homemade one, but is it worth it for one use?

another would be fibreglass, but how to sculpt the detail effectively?

any help would be much appreciated.

when the costume parts arrive i'll get it all together and post up some pics.. fingers crossed its as accurate as im told.

thanks

edit:

one another thing which i may find once i start searching but what colour should the armour parts be? what colour do most people use? if i know this i can tell the person making the parts for me and they can ensure the same colour. will make making the back piece easier as well.

thanks again

As regards to colour I think I've found what I need.

I've been told it's a rustoleum antique brass but you can't get that colour in the uk so the closest I've found this morning is a plasti-kote antique gold.

Been told with a black wash to dull the finish that should be ideal.

Still would like detail on how to make the back piece though, the rest of the armour is being made from HIPS/ABS plastic

The general consensus on the back of the cuirass is that yes, there is one, and the image of Revan's armor made for him by the Star Forge if he falls to the dark side in KotOR is the same as Darth Revan's old armor. It's just missing significant portions of the robes compared to the Darth Revan getup.

However, this version is not canon, because canonically, Revan doesn't fall back to the dark side. Because of this, it states on the Costume Standards thread that the back of the cuirass is optional, since the only good look we get of it is on a non-canonical version of the outfit. (Or, at least, that's the way I understand it.) You do have the option of not including it for now...but there has been talk of making it a requirement, so perhaps it can be a project for the future.

As for the color, it's the same as the front. So, if you're going to construct the back, try and match the color of the front as best you can. :)

Edit: If the front is being made from HIPS/ABS, it would be best to make the back out of it, too. Make some friends in your local garrison and one of them will probably have a vac-former you can use. Look at others' WIP threads here to get some idea of how they did theirs. I know Carolyn (Revan3956) - who was active here years ago - custom-sculpted her chest piece and had a friend vac-form it. It should be the same basic process for the back plate.

Hope all goes well with obtaining the kit!

Hey, cheers for the reply.

I have it from a reliable source that the back piece and an accurate kotor/revan saber are/will be in the updated standards for 501st/UKG hence the reason I'm keen to get it done. (I have plans to get the saber made too)

Obviously the colour would be the same front and back, was more the actual colour of it I was after but I think that mystery is resolved :)

I'll try to search for Carolyn's build, thanks.. that's what I'm really after. A WIP or guide on how people go about doing that as I've never sculpted before in my life so I'm really after some info and pics on how others have done it so I can replicate that process myself.

Good idea on asking nearby members if they have a vac former, I'll have to ask if any UKG people nearby have access to one I could borrow.

So I think the general jist is a torso and sculpt is the best way to do it.. especially if I intend to vac form it using HIPS/ABS.

Will have to do some general searches on sculpting and vac forming techniques :)

Cheers

Hey, no problems! :)

Ohhhh yes, for the UKG I'm sure they'd make you have a back plate. And that has been something that has been discussed on the 501st GML boards for a while now... I've been talking to our Garrison's former and current GML about that lately.

Hope you find some useful info here! It takes some digging, but it's there. Looking at other custom builds of other costumes can help a bunch, too, just for general knowledge. You can also look at the back plates of the MyWickedArmor sets that a lot of people have to get an idea of what it might look like. :D