• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Wig Question (Curly)

Guest Jaenne

Guest Jaenne

Hi, I'm getting ready to start work on my Mara in a few weeks and, of course, the first thing I went and looked for was a wig. :P I think I've picked the wig that I want to buy, but I have some questions about curls on the wig. I want to get the Arda wig Matilda in Pumpkin.

The color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ardawigs/s ... 559061558/

The style:

http://arda-wigs.com/products/matilda

The style in action:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ardawigs/s ... 825233381/

I'm only wondering if it is too curly. I saw a post where someone mentioned this wig and it was brought up that it would be too curly, but I was thinking about straightening it some because a lot of Mara pictures seem to have a wave to it, just not full curls. They have good quality wigs and I didn't want to get one with full bangs, although that is a choice too because I don't see Mara having anything but maybe long bangs. I just want to straighten some of the excess curls out of the wig so it is left with some loose curls/waves. Would that work? Or is it better to go with a straight wig? I'm not afraid to straighten wigs or style them myself.

Thanks for the help in advance!

In my opinion I think this wig will work for you, just make sure it is not overly curly. And be sure to post before and after pictures, I am curious as to what the wig will look like out of the box and then after your styling. I have been thinking about switching to using a wig for mine instead of dying it all the time.

Guest Fevre Chance

Hey look, I'm in those galleries! :lol: I bought that exact wig for my Phoenix (from X-Men) costume. This one's me!

I do agree that it's too curly and too long, though both of those could be fixed. However, the reason I wouldn't wear it for Mara Jade is because the wig is very very thick - I don't think it would be possible to fit it under the cowl or goggles without it looking strange. I also own their Ferrari in a similar color for another Jean Grey costume, which is what I've worn with Mara Jade in the past. Going forward I'd like to buy their Imladris wig and see if I have any luck adding some wave to that for a designated Mara wig. I do love Arda's quality though, and their customer service is amazing!

Edit: That said, I've never tried reducing the amount of volume in the wig since I need it for Phoenix. I see some people in this gallery such as this person seem to have been able to get the wig to sit pretty flat.