• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Interest Thread: Machined Large O-Ring for Belt?

Guest Kilryth

What is your Maximum Budget for buying this piece?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Maximum Budget for buying this piece?

• Between $0 and $49
    • Between $50 and $99
    • Between $100 and $149
    • Between $150 and $199
    • Between $200 and $249
    • Above $249

Guest Kilryth

I'm looking into options of having the Large O-Ring machined or cast out of a lightweight cheap Metal, such as aluminum, zinc, or brass, and coated with a finish. This O-Ring would be 5.5" OD, 4" OD, and 0.75" thick.

I placed Photos of Options for the Cast or Machining of the Loop a few posts below.

Like many of you, I'm currently using MyWickedArmor's plastic cast ring, which looks great for handmade mold. Certainly much better than I could do, but there are a few areas that could use improvement by using a machine. Such as perfect circles and symmetry and making it match the metallic finish of the loops on the armor.

SL_revan_belt.jpg

I've looked far and wide for a similar size ring that could be modified. This loop relies on accuracy and being able to make perfect symmetry, so machining it is the only real option. Unfortunately, machine shops and machinists tend to charge a good little chunk of change.

I'd be willing to draw up the AutoCAD drawings for the machine shop, if the price were reasonable enough for me. I'd be even more likely to do this, if there are more of you that are interested in having this machined. More produced = lower costs per item. How many of you are interested, and what is your spending limit on this item? Please answer on the poll above.

I'd expect this to take a few months, so don't worry about what you have on hand right this minute. Once I have an idea of how many people are interested and how much they're willing to pay, I'll start shopping around more seriously.

Also, do any of you know some reasonably priced machinists who produce quality work? I know KOTOR/Revan style saber hilts cost $200-300 each at the machine shops, but the price comes down quickly the more you buy. Not sure how much something like this will cost, because it depends on what they start out with. Die cast, forging, CNC machining, etc. I'd be fine with any of it, as long as it's sturdy enough for costuming and no seam lines show on the front.

I would like to gather enough interested people that we could get this thing down into the $50 range... maybe less.

The details on the MWA ring are purely artistic, so they aren't a must-have unless you're particularly attached to them. Just food for thought to try and keep the cost of your piece down.

I was probably just going to go down to my local Tandy Leather and see what they had in terms of 5" diameter rings. I know people have gotten theirs there in the past. In the game models, it looks like two nested rings, actually. I'd prefer to get something like that, but if that's going to be too cost-prohibitive or difficult to do, I'll probably just do a solid silver ring.

Guest Kilryth
The details MWA ring are purely artistic, so they aren't a must-have unless you're particularly attached to them. Just food for thought to try and keep the cost of your piece down.

I was probably just going to go down to my local Tandy Leather and see what they had in terms of 5" diameter rings. I know people have gotten theirs there in the past. In the game models, it looks like two nested rings, actually. I'd prefer to get something like that, but if that's going to be too cost-prohibitive or difficult to do, I'll probably just do a solid silver ring.

That works too lol. its been hard finding the right size rings. Could you sketch what you mean by nesting them?? This sounds interesting

Lemme think how best to explain it... I mean like, you get one ring that's about 5.5" in diameter and put another ring inside it that's slightly smaller. That's what it looks like to me in the game renders, anyway. Or if I can find a pre-fab ring with that same effect, that would be good, too.

Guest Kilryth

Hmmm that might work really well. I need to take some high Res shots of the new Kotor rerelease on pc

What will you do about the middle between the rings where its red?

Guest Kilryth

Well, I have gotten an update to report. I've been spending TOO much time researching this and learning about metals.

First option: you can Roll ferrous metal bars, such as solid steel or iron... probably the cheapest & easiest method if you find a medeival armor builder... but that's going to be heavy. The Rolling companies won't roll this thin of metal, especially hollow tubes.

Second option: you can have the item Sand Casted in Aluminum or Brass, and then electroplated. This seems fairly easy, using sand, clay, and water as a mold.. but you still have to acquire a furnace that will heat the metals to a liquid. This would be a great skill to have. The time and money in the furnace and sandcasting equipment would be more than the rings.

Third option: My local machine shop gave me a quote to Machine the ring out of Steel plate. This was fairly reasonable at $75 for one, or $40 each for 10. I requested a quote for Aluminum (and brass if offered) for a lighter weight material. He said it's more, but he'll have to get back to me. I am not sure if this price quote includes the details cut into the face of the ring either. If there were enough interest, I could take orders at my cost and ship them out to those of you who are interested.

If I can get a ring machined or cast out of Aluminum or brass (and then electroplated for finish), what do you think the face of the ring should look like? The one from MyWickedArmor certainly has the most detail, but I have yet to see a reference image that he drew this from. I think the details were made up, but they do look good. The only details I can make out from the images is a Circular Channel in the face of the ring.

I think a 5.5" OD, 4" ID, 0.5" thickness ring with a channel in the middle would look great. You could paint the channel red or cut it out and put some red fabric behind it.

What do you guys think?

Guest Kilryth

I drafted a few different options for the rings in CAD, so I can have a cast made or have them machined. I drafted 3 (technically 4) different options. Each one has a front and side view. I didn't make any dotted lines yet, so use your imagination lol.:

a80b67e0-b5bb-4c17-b79d-2f359098c2ed_zps29fe3cb3.jpg

Option2_zps908b26a5.jpg

Option3_zps553b9201.jpg

Which do you like best? I think I like Option 3 best, which is very similar to MyWickedArmor's... except for it has the right # of little holes in it, a bit thicker, and more machined looking.

I like both 2 and 3, but 2 seems to be the way I'm personally leaning more than 3. I'd do either, though. Are those thicknesses approvable/appropriate? They seem like they may be a bit thick to me, but then again the ring is kind of "out of context," as it were.

I went down to Tandy Leather the other day and they looked at me like I grew two heads when I asked for a ring of this description. XD That kind of confused me because I know people have gotten their rings from them in the past. Maybe it's just not something they carry anymore. I'll probably look at the hardware store, too. (I saw a towel ring that looked pretty promising last week, the only concern I'd have would be getting it out of the mounting bracket without damaging it.)

Guest Kilryth

My wicked Armor is 5.5 inches, which seems about right. It is to scale for my body stooe and his armor. TheThe ring he makes is about 5/8 inches thick, but it looks too skinny me compared to reference images. I think 0.75 inches had the right proportion for that diameter, though honestly... Who's going to notice 1/8 lol. Option 3 is derived from the game textures. The texture is actually just one small section Shaped like a rectangle of the ring that they copied and pasted 7 times to make a hexagonal type circle. The sides and front of the ring use the same texture... Kind of a cheap copout. The texture has two little gray dots in the middle of the red inner section of the ring. Since the ring has seven Sections of this texture, it makes 14 gray dots. This occurs on the sides of the ring too. The sides would add unnecessary cost and also be difficult to obtain consistent spacing of the gray dots. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Will pursue option 2 or 3.

The towel rings are pretty big and skinny, but some ppl use them. the door knob knockers are a little Smaller and skinnier. could try cutting and layering sheet metal or plastic also. Look For a

Ah, okay. I also think the MWA ring is a bit on the skinny side, I just wasn't sure if a thickness of the ring was specified by the CRL (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I will certainly cross-check before doing anything about it). My only concern with doing this ring out of machined metal will be the weight. I don't want anything too hefty because that will be a PITA to wear and attach to the armor with the inch-or-so wide belt straps. I also don't want anything too light (which I fear a towel ring might be). I've thought about asking someone to cold cast a ring, which might be a better solution...if you cold cast with aluminum powder you can buff the resin out to a nice shine, and it looks like the whole thing is metal-cast. You'd have to paint it if you wanted a chrome finish, but I would rather like a bit of a weathered aluminum look like that.

It's something I can also look into if people are interested.

Guest Kilryth
Ah, okay. I also think the MWA ring is a bit on the skinny side, I just wasn't sure if a thickness of the ring was specified by the CRL (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I will certainly cross-check before doing anything about it). My only concern with doing this ring out of machined metal will be the weight. I don't want anything too hefty because that will be a PITA to wear and attach to the armor with the inch-or-so wide belt straps. I also don't want anything too light (which I fear a towel ring might be). I've thought about asking someone to cold cast a ring, which might be a better solution...if you cold cast with aluminum powder you can buff the resin out to a nice shine, and it looks like the whole thing is metal-cast. You'd have to paint it if you wanted a chrome finish, but I would rather like a bit of a weathered aluminum look like that.

It's something I can also look into if people are interested.

Leaning towards a cold cast For saving money and weight myself hehe. If you know of someone that is good and Can make perfect circles, let me know

Leaning towards a cold cast For saving money and weight myself hehe. If you know of someone that is good and Can make perfect circles, let me know

I'll inquire around. There are a couple guys in my garrison that are really good. One has the most accurate landspeeder replica this side of Mos Eisley and the other is making my Revan mask. Lol.

While I like the detail of the third one, I agree that the second one is likely going to be considered more accurate. It would then be a matter of a little bit of work to make it look accurate, ensure there is a shadow in the center (stain/wash/weather). I am definitely in favor more accurate material. Always comes back to making it look like the source though. :P

While I like the detail of the third one, I agree that the second one is likely going to be considered more accurate. It would then be a matter of a little bit of work to make it look accurate, ensure there is a shadow in the center (stain/wash/weather). I am definitely in favor more accurate material. Always comes back to making it look like the source though. :P

Apparently the "rivets" are actually in the game model ring, they're just really hard to see.

Guest Kilryth

Yepte="SkySith"]

Apparently the "rivets" are actually in the game model ring, they're just really hard to see.

Yep they appear in the texture file, only a couple pixels wide

Hah, my mistake then, I'll just shut up and point to the picture next time. :P

I didn't know, either. XD Killryth had to point it out to me.

This is what happens when you give costumers 3D extraction software. LOL.

Have you considered making the 3D model and having it printed on a 3D printer?

I know it wouldn't be metal but it could be painted to look that way, wouldn't have a weight issue and the computer generated model would give the sort of detail you're looking for. One of the troopers in our squad has a 3D printer and has been producing some awesome props with it.

It hadn't occurred to me mostly because I know at least for me it's not an option. One of our guys has one but it's not capable of printing anything bigger than some greeblies. It also assumes I'm any good with 3D modeling software, which I'm not. XD It is a possibility for those who do have that kind of capability, though.

Depending on how you did it, I bet you could make a mold even after 3d printing it and somehow get it to a metal. I have a guy locally whose policy is "Don't suggest the impossible, unless you can afford to pay for the product." We had foam thermal detonators in our goody bags at the banquet, fully painted and durable.

Guest Kilryth
Depending on how you did it, I bet you could make a mold even after 3d printing it and somehow get it to a metal. I have a guy locally whose policy is "Don't suggest the impossible, unless you can afford to pay for the product." We had foam thermal detonators in our goody bags at the banquet, fully painted and durable.

Actually this would be fairly simple with sandcasting. You just place the plastic in a sand water clay mold mixture. then remove and pour molten metal into the mold. you need to build a charcoal or gas furnace for it though.

Good news: found a machinist here in FL that can make the one with the lugs/rivets drilled into it. he already made a 3d CNC file to make it, and it looks great. Still waiting on a price quote though.

Let me know what your guy comes up with, Kilryth. This weekend I have two solid days of trooping so I should have the opportunity to pick some brains on cold casting. I'm confident I could sculpt a good ring, I would just need guidance and materials for casting purposes.

I know this is an old thread, but I plan to use my 3D printer for the o-ring. There are two options:

1) Lost-wax casting using MOLDLAY wax printer filament. I liberated a old bronze planter from the attic that I'll be chopping up and melting down within the next week or so. Free materials for the win. (Better finished product, but a lot more work)

2) Print the ring in Colorfabb Copperfill. It's a copper powder-infused PLA/PHA filament. A couple minutes with a pad of steel wool then a few hours dipped in Palmolive, and it should look just like a cast metal piece. (Easier, but less durable)

• Like 1