• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Darth Nihilus - COTF Version

Agustin

Hello everyone!

I open this post, to consult on the COTF Darth Nihilus version I'm doing. Since the suit I have it almost armed. My question is if there is some aspect to improve in order to present it to form part of the 501st Legion

Below I will be posting photos of the parts of my costume, for his expert opinion. If I have to improve certain parts or other and could be accepted.

Darth Nihilus - Blackout Mask:

h1oi.jpg

Mask:

zvh7.jpg

Left Side, Rigth Side, Front, Back, Hook and cape

a5m6.jpg

ucit.jpg

9afa.jpg

jwj9.jpg

Obi

d5wj.jpg

Quilted Sleeves

izq9.jpg

rxpv.jpg

Gloves:

l1h1.jpg

qs3f.jpg

1gc2.jpg

qvyj.jpg

belt in the process (you need to add metal embellishments)

ihpt.jpg

uxff.jpg

t7dy.jpg

ykgl.jpg

brzc.jpg

00ra.jpg

Inner Tunic and Inner Skirt

8o9u.jpg

knnx.jpg

Outer skirt

22m9.jpg

Outer Tunic and Obi

qfhj.jpg

Boots:

ztb3.jpg

Thank you very much.

Regards!

I'll let other, more knowledgeable members speak as to what you may need to change on this ( I only got my Nihilus approved a few months ago) but I do have a question for you. Can you see through the blackout hood while you're wearing it? Well enough to get around safely? It looks to me like the hood is quite loose on you, without the fabric stretched I'd be worried about how well you can see. My head is ridiculously large so my hood gets stretched quite a bit (and my nose crushed) and I've got about as little visibility as I'm comfortable with.

Yes, I see quite well through the black mask. Obviously with mask cuts my vision, but I can move and handle myself pretty well. I have used it at several events and I could move smoothly.

Yeah, I guess there are several areas for improvement. So Postie photos, to give final completion.

Thank You!

Regards!

Hello Agustin!

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been out of town with no internet access. Now I am back to the land of technology I am catching up on emails and forums.

Your costume is looking very good so far, and you are quite close for submission, but there are a couple things that will probably need adjusting.

The hood and cape:

The "cat ears" (as we call them, the 2 points going up from the side of the white mask where the hood hangs down around the mask) are a little big. You will probably want to make them a bit smaller and bring them in closer towards the white mask. Everyone always has trouble with this part of the Nihilus costume. I myself had to adjust mine twice before getting approved. The black hood that hangs down from the "cat ears" needs to come in close to the side of the white mask. Most of us add velcro, or snaps, to the side of the mask and then the black fabric to make sure they stay put. It's hard to tell from the picture, but do you have the hood tied in the front with the ends hanging down? If yes, then the ends will need to be tucked in to the knot to hide them. Nihilus does not have the ends hanging down, just a single seamless knot at the front of the hood.

Weathering:

Your weathering at the bottom of your robes and cloak are to uniform and tidy. They need to be much more random, as well as adding some torn holes near the bottom. Using sand paper or a cheese grater works well for getting a random ripped look. I used a craft knife and just did random zig zag cuts along the bottom. I've added a picture of my own robes to show you what I mean:

robes_zpsefc71e41.jpg

Your robes:

Just one small thing there, you can see your pants in the gap in the front. Ideally you should have your robes fully closed in the front so that you can not see your legs.

Other then those small adjustments I think your costume looks great! Just let me know if any of my suggestions need clarifying or a better explanation.

Cheers,

Nef

Hello!

Thank you very much for the reply.

With respect to the tearing of the outer tunic, outer skirt, inner skirt and cape, I did pretty scary (with sandpaper and scissors making small cuts), since it is difficult to break a little costume party: S. So I will try to do something more irregular. I thought if I was somewhat ragged, was enough.

With respect to the hook and cape, it seemed to me that I had something big. I'll get on it.

With respect to the bottom of the dress (to wear a black pants), is completely covered with the inner and outer skirt skirt when I have put the full suit. It can be seen in full body pictures I posted.

Are the boots and gloves ok?

Regarding the belt, I'm missing the trimmings, my question is whether these types of ornaments are painted black:

peon_arosca_100.jpg

zamack_mini_arosca_100.jpg

Finally, if making these changes and leaving the suit conditions, would be to be approved by the Legion 501?

Thank you!!

Regards!

Yes those are the right type of studs for the belt. Depending on the size of them anyway. Hard to tell what size they are from the pic. I don't think anyone makes them in black, we all just have to buy whatever colour then spray paint them black.

Hello!

Thank you very much for the reply.

With respect to the tearing of the outer tunic, outer skirt, inner skirt and cape, I did pretty scary (with sandpaper and scissors making small cuts), since it is difficult to break a little costume party: S. So I will try to do something more irregular. I thought if I was somewhat ragged, was enough.

This part can be hard to get to look right. Take your time with the shredding, it took me almost 2 full evenings of working on my shredding and weathering to get it to look decent. Then I took it outside and shredded it some more with a sharp rock against the cement driveway.

With respect to the hook and cape, it seemed to me that I had something big. I'll get on it.

Just make the cat ear points a bit smaller and you should be looking good. This is one of the hardest parts of this costume, so don't feel bad if it takes a couple tries to get it to look right.

With respect to the bottom of the dress (to wear a black pants), is completely covered with the inner and outer skirt skirt when I have put the full suit. It can be seen in full body pictures I posted.

I can see you have good coverage in the full pictures, but you can still see a little bit of a gap. My robes sometimes flop open in the front so I just use a safety pin to make sure it stays closed. Perhaps you just need to also add a safety pin or a snap to keep it closed in the front near the top.

Are the boots and gloves ok?

Yes, gloves and boots look good.

Regarding the belt, I'm missing the trimmings, my question is whether these types of ornaments are painted black:

peon_arosca_100.jpg

As DisposablHero pointed out, yes those are the ones we use. And yes, you will need to paint them black. The best thing I have found that works really well for painting those is black nail polish. I did 2 coats and it has never chipped or worn. Had my costume almost 2 years and the black is still as good as the first day I painted them. Nail polish is useful for so many things!

Finally, if making these changes and leaving the suit conditions, would be to be approved by the Legion 501?

Thank you!!

Regards!

Yes, if you do these changes then you should be able to submit for approval. Just don't be surprised if you don't get it right the first try, they may spot something that needs to be changed that I've missed. As I've said many times, very few people make it on their first try. I had to submit twice before getting approved!

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions or need any advice on your costume.

Cheers,

Nef

Thank you very much!

Then I would be failing to fix the top, rip more the suit (irregular shaped), belt and close more the bottom. When I finished with the changes, I will upload photos.

Regards

Hello friends!

I am writing because in the day yesterday my Darth Nihilus was approved and I am part of the 501st Legion.

501st Garrison Argentina Fan Page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_mention

In the web page Legion 501st

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=106

I appreciate all the help you gave me and especially thank to Nephthys, thanks to her advice, helped me to complete the dress and it is excellent :)

thank you very much, Nephthys

May the Force be with you!

Greetings.

Congratulations! Welcome to the 501st Legion as well as The Flagship Eclipse! It is always great to see another Nihilus join our ranks. Have fun trooping!

Cheers,

Nef

Congratulations! Welcome to the 501st Legion as well as The Flagship Eclipse! It is always great to see another Nihilus join our ranks. Have fun trooping!

Cheers,

Nef

Thank you very much!

Thank you!!!!!

Question:

I was reading that in addition to his membership in Local Garrison, one can be a member of its corresponding Detachment. How can I become a member of Flagship Eclipse?

Regards!

Well the first step is to be active on the detachments forums, which you are already doing. The other criteria you also meet, which is having a costume in that detachment and trooping in it. So you are able to be a member, you just need to request access.

This is a quote from Thomas on how to do that:

"Detachment Membership; Joining a detachment forum does not guarantee your right to vote in 501st Legion elections concerning Detachment issues and staff. You must be registered in the 501st Legion database as a member of that Detachment. To request Detachment membership log into the 501st Legion forum, select membership DB from the side menu and go to “Your Profile Data.” There you can indicate your Detachment participation under “Your Unit Affiliation.”

Detachment affiliation requests are reviewed for approval by Detachment staff. This is a manual procedure that relies on a volunteer to look up and approve requests. Feel free to contact Detachment staff if your request has gone without response for more than one week. (During this election’s proceedings we are checking with daily frequency.) Having Detachment voting privileges in tyme for an election is crucial."

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Well the first step is to be active on the detachments forums, which you are already doing. The other criteria you also meet, which is having a costume in that detachment and trooping in it. So you are able to be a member, you just need to request access.

This is a quote from Thomas on how to do that:

"Detachment Membership; Joining a detachment forum does not guarantee your right to vote in 501st Legion elections concerning Detachment issues and staff. You must be registered in the 501st Legion database as a member of that Detachment. To request Detachment membership log into the 501st Legion forum, select membership DB from the side menu and go to “Your Profile Data.” There you can indicate your Detachment participation under “Your Unit Affiliation.”

Detachment affiliation requests are reviewed for approval by Detachment staff. This is a manual procedure that relies on a volunteer to look up and approve requests. Feel free to contact Detachment staff if your request has gone without response for more than one week. (During this election’s proceedings we are checking with daily frequency.) Having Detachment voting privileges in tyme for an election is crucial."

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Nef

Hi!

Thank you very much! I am already a member of TFE