• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Texas Darth Talon

Guest bearkatkit

Guest bearkatkit

Hey there.

So, I've been looking to get into the 501st since Wizard Con last year in October. I didn't want to do a Stormtrooper so looked into the world of the bad guys for the ladies. I came across Darth Talon and put her into full blown research since April. It's only now that I've gotten around to making her armor and other bits.

My progress so far on the armor:

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Sorry, the images are a little blurry... sure didn't look blurry when I took the photos. The armor isn't quite that shiny. I blame the light. I don't have the rivets in yet. I have the belt pieces left to do and the hand one.

Welcome to the sub-forum! :D:D

You have chosen a very difficult costume, encourage!

Do not know if it's the light but it seems to have bumps or was deformed.

Most distant photographs could help him better

Could see photos on your person wearing? you can stick it with a temporary "fixo"

Guest bearkatkit

It doesn't quite stay well when I try to put them on to take pictures with.

Here's a couple taken from further away.

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

I'm still far from being ready for a con coming up in two weeks. But, hopefully ready for Space City Con in August. 3 of the pieces need to be reheated or just redone all together. It's been trial and error making them. Just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction before doing some more.

Hello Holli.

Remember when I make my first intent of Talon armor.. In PVC foamed, belt was cool but armor pieces I marked deformed :'( can you try in another material?

A tip for the shape

http://www.twilekparadise.com/darth_talon_armor.htm

I can no se good on the photos maybe has good shape but the photos Confused me.It would perhaps best see it on your body

I hope that can help you

Guest bearkatkit

It does help, thank you. I will try another material: compare and contrast with the originals. Besides, doesn't hurt to have two sets anyways. Thank you kindly. I will keep this updated progress in due time. Again, this is all about trial and error.

Guest bearkatkit

A couple of pictures just to see what it looks like on me. My gloves are too short, will be lengthening those.

P1010047.jpg

And after seeing it was too light... darkened it... though it still may be too light.

P1010049-1.jpg

I love your kitty!! *o*

but..Sorry to tell you, do not be angry with me :(... the armor, look bad, how to explain it, it looks like something drawn on paper, cut and painted by hand. The rivets are not round and no seems have any volume (3D, look like they were painted in 2D), the edges are blurred, and a black line around the edge of the material when it is white and thick.

And it definitely has to be muuuuch darker.

The shape:

The Forearm and thighs guards have good shape.

Bicep armor I think is too long. bicep armor, reaches the top of the strip that secures the bikini.

Shin guard must be more narrow in the lower part.

Hand strap must encircle the hand.

shape-armor.jpg

I hope that this can help http://www.twilekparadise.com/darth_talon_armor.htm

I think maybe it looks so because the armor material it is ​​very thick.

It is also possible that if the darken MUCH more, look better.

Try to darken a couple of pieces before remake.

Darken or paint in black the sides (edges))

See a lot the reference images. If you saw me I'm wrong let me know.

Cheer up, keep it up! every step you make it more good!

Guest bearkatkit

This is very helpful, thank you.

It's one thing looking at it in my garage... but quite the other to actually take pictures and see it on me.

I'll paint a piece darker and see what that looks like. Post it and if that's the correct color... will completely remake out of less thick material and use the original "rivets" I had planned on to give it more of a 3d look. I promise they're not painted on. :-)

I'll make the bicep armor shorter. I'm all arm, so sometimes it's hard to tell when something is too long or too short. Same with the legs.

Thank you for your help!

And, of course, Doom Kitty loves to photo bomb... every time.

What have you made the armour from? If sintra or the like you really could simply heat the pieces to fit them more closely and then trim the excess from the ankles and top of the arms :) I use PVC down pipe for armour like this (including my own Talon) because it has the ease of shaping like sintra (which is foamed PVC) but is much less brittle. I still have my armour templates if you think it might help? I may have had to make my thigh pieces from styrene actually thinking about it. Nightmare to shape without warping...

For me I find it easiest to have my heat gun and a pair of leather gloves in place, then half fill a bucket of cold water and put it under my desk and to my left. I make sure I actually sit at my desk now and heat the plastic on my right hand side, turn off the gun and set it carefully on my right then quickly dunk the plastic to the cold water on my left. It's a faster way to accurately work out how well the plastic fits. And you can immediately reshape if need be :)

And before any more advice comes your way: are you looking for 501st approval?

Also welcome to the Talon obsession! Also if you ever get a chance to meet Jan while in costume, please do. I chickened out at Celebration 6 and wish I hadn't. It felt a little OTT obsessive even over other costumes I have done.

Hello Michaella! Thanks for help! :D:D

Yep, Holly want the 501st approval, otherwise would not be here torturing her XD (I know because she told me in an email :wink: )

Ah Holly, I just saw him: the bicep is missing a strip and snaps. The center strip.

Guest bearkatkit

I'm almost afraid to say what I've made it out of.

It's just made out of regular craft foam.

I'm just going to completely remake it, perhaps out of the same stuff (but a thinner kind, that kind is too thick) but use other techniques to make it look like armor. And if that doesn't work, then will try something else. I'm on a budget.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I've scowered this site and many others. Not too many people go into detail on how they've made it. Just that, "oh I've made it out of this and there ya go."

So, it's been whipping out my measuring tape, looking at pictures, youtubing on how people make "armor" from foam. Trial and error.

The leather bra part, not worried about.

It's getting the armor right that is my main concern. Once I've tackled that... tattoos. But, I need to handle one thing at a time. I don't want to stress myself out.

Templates sound superb.

I appreciate any and all help that I can get.

Thank you so much!

*shameface* I am one of those who has not got everything online about the makings of yet either.. But that's because I'm not fully satisfied and really do not want to lead anyone down the wrong path :) However I am more than happy to pass on templates (Thomas has seen my Talon in person-before the tattoo and lekku changes- and could probably offer ideas on how they can be altered for approval- I can though get scanning of them in the meantime or get making a scaled pattern.) I've not expressed a desire to get her approved due to my own health issues making it a bit hit and miss as to whether I can wear the costume at any one time) and experiences :) Also I can't afford to paint myself too often for approval photos so I have to play the waiting game for any photos at all anyway. Sigh.

No shame in using foam! Docgirlfriend made hers from foam and was approved, not a guarantee but not to preclude it either :) Also even if you do wind up using another material this is really good practice at working with shapes and what curves you need etc. :) I made my templates in foam. Which is why I still have them!

Oh! Actually, do you have access to Worbla? I was a bit hesitant about it as I'd only ever seen rather heavily filtered photos of the product in progress or finished- and heavily filtered.... But I got to see some armour made in person and I'd really recommend it for a really good finish as well as relative ease of use (far leass heatshaping than is needed for say sintra or PVC pipe.) You can form it specifically to your shape as well :) I have wonderflex and it's not that easy to work with and has a very rough surface which means a lot more work on finishing.

Yes, one aspect at a time. It is a very labourious costume to work on, more than people realise- even the wearing. I asked about your desires to get approved because it can cause added stress when it feels like people are concentrating on the stuff that isn't yet finished- and I don't ever want to add to the feeling of being under watch! :) So no pressure from here :)

Just consider this a cheer squad and a squee from me for taking her on :)

Guest bearkatkit

I'd have to order Worbla online. I checked out prices for it. A bit on the expensive side. Had a friend bring it up on fb. She's going to try it. And if all goes good... and my second rendition of armor does not turn out well with the foam... I might give it a try.

And thanks so much for the cheering. :D

*sith cheerleader* Go you, go you!

If I was closer I'd totally offer to be your armour monkey :) But it's one of those shape to fit situations and does need to be in person. Sigh. Sigh because I've been gifted a nice long length of PVC pipe, enough to make shins and arm amour for probably 6 people!

"Unfortunately", Talon's armor is so simple (no easy, simple!) than any people make a tutorial.

Is the shape of the most basic armor (tile shape) and blend, ligth curve.

Is all the ability of the maker. And the painter and painter.

Is proof, and test, and gain experience

Some tutorial for armors:

How to make Costume Armor (Some tips and PVC foam tutorial videos)

http://www.squidoo.com/costumearmor

Craft Foam Armor Tutorial (Foamy - Gomaeva)

Star Wars Galaxy Gauntlets Tutorial (PVC pipe)

How to Make a Gauntlet Armor Tutorial (Metal brass)

I hope to help you.

Cheers up!!

Guest bearkatkit

Hey all.

So, found a darker paint, got some more 3d looking rivets and repainting a few pieces. Let me know if this color is better.

Would have done it sooner, however going to Texas Comic Con and having a schedule change prevented as such.

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

In the first photo have good look :D . In the second look shiny, maybe is the flash.

Good work! You can do it! :wink:

Guest bearkatkit

Yeah, it's the flash. *sighs* The flash just doesn't do it justice darnit. Here's a couple of shots with me wearing a piece. I didn't want to get in full getup for 2 pieces. Just wanted to show what it looked like against black pants.

P1010121.jpg

And these other two were with my ipod, outside in the garage so there would be no flash.

photo9.jpg

photo8.jpg

So, am I on the right track?

Guest bearkatkit

The first photo, of just the pieces on the paint board was with the ipod. The second picture was with the camera. Darn flash.

I get the impression that it no keeps very well the shape. Glue a hard cardboard underneath the foamy. Docgirlfriend (Kendall) did so

Guest bearkatkit

Not really. It just maybe the angle I'm taking the photos. It keeps the shape. But will try to make it more sturdy in back.

Other than that... do I need to do more aging?

Cuts are sufficient.

Stains and dirt would be a good idea :wink:

It looks new painted (because it is new painted of course :wink::mrgreen: )

Guest bearkatkit

I've added "rust" to the armor. This picture is in my garage so some of the pieces might seem lighter than the others due to the sun light.

1044549_10153001268540331_388336766_n.jpg