• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Action Figure Revan NOT 501st Eligible

The Clone Emperor

Good aftermoon,

The Hasbro Toy Darth Revan appearance deviates significantly from the original character from Knights of The Old Republic. Only the costumes replicating the original Darth Revan are currently accepted for membership.

WebRevanMask1.jpg

501st eligible KOTOT Darth Revan appearence

s640x480.jpg

Examples of fan made Darth Revan maskes previously approved for 501st membership.

darth_revan_big.jpg

Fan made Mod for a Darth Revan-like mask appears to be the source used in the less than canon accurate Hasbro rendition;

TAC34revanM2.jpg

The Unhooded Hasbro Darth Revan

e9a2_1.JPGea31_1.JPG

A well made fan mask based on the Hasbro Toy, which appears to be based on fan art and not the actual character. As such, this mask would not be an acceptable 501st Darth Revan component. This is not meant as a slight, as it is a fine piece. But it is not based on a source currently approved for the character in the 501st.

Please be advised, that the source of reference material for EU character costumes in the 501st will be scrutinized. Not all sources are considerred accurate.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Sakara

tis a shame but as there is only one reference of this look then that is understandable.

perhaps if more references of this look became available...perhaps when Revan appears in the KOTOR comics that will be another reference..and perhaps a ref book reference...

but until then its good that this has been clarified so no one makes the mistake.

Guest Anonymous

I personally hope that they do not deviate from Revan's original image in any future productions. I am still a bit miffed about the action figure. Oh well.

The Expanded Universe is powerful force in the continuation of Star Wars. I feel quite secure in the assertion that the Star Wars franchise would not enjoy the nearly same popularity it has without the EU there to pump in fresh and exciting tales and characters.

Still, the EU is shunned by some purists. (My theory is it is too much for some to take in. Too many shades of grey.) Whatever the reason, EU is constantly met with resistance from some in the fan community all the way back to George Lucas himself---as evidenced by comments he made when addressing the 501st at the Rose Parade.

This implied stigma leaves me often having to defend EU costuming in the Legion. The notion in itself is ridiculous to me. I see EU costumes on equal footing with screen based costumes. And personally, I have great respect for the folk who make their own--often a trade mark of EU costuming.

To keep EU on the same footing as screen canon characters, I try to evaluate both by the same criteria. It is not an exact science and I try to allow for subtle differences.

This year I realized Mara Jade's body suit cut, the piping and leg diagonals were analogous to the stripes in Darth Vader's undersuit. These details define the characters. Without the stripes in the undersuit it is not Darth Vader. In the need to treat EU equally, the example calls for Mara Jade costumers to have body suits that match the vast ammount of reference for her signature costume.

It is this train of logic that leads me to this discussion over the drifting appearance of Darth Revan. The mod to action figure to costume path is an example of Chinese Whispers in which the end result is markedly different from the source.

A Stormtrooper costume that varied a similiar amount from the screen reference would not be Legion accepted. And thus this thread.

I am a proponent of the EU in Star Wars. I love the way the saga inspires artist in chain-like succession. It also troubles me to enforce policies that curtails that creativity in the Legion. But there are rules for costume acceptance, and I do believe that has been the application of these rules that has made the Legion the awe inspiring group that it is today.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

I totally agree with you, Thomas. If we didn't have the guidelines, we'd have a bunch of pink Vaders and BeachTroopers (a la LEGO Star Wars II :lol: ) I am too disappointed in the figure and glad it is considered non-501st worthy. But As long as Revan's around, I'm sure Hasbro will eventually Re-do him (got my fingers crossed

:D ).

Guest Anonymous

Ive always thought never to take a look on the toys anyways since when you look at them, you cant really get as best detailed as you can with a toy or the toy is just way too out there to be anything realistic anyways (ie The older series had most of the characters with huge muscles, even Leia, lol.) I think most elitist have a problem with EU because it constantly changes over time and contridictions happen ALOT more in EU then in the movies, point in case Darth Banes saber has been detailed in one story to be a "hooked" style of saber but in most pictures he is shown to have a normal looking saber. I want my costume to look as close to the game character and a real life version of Revan as much as i can. Im not a member yet but im working to get there soon once i get all the parts to the suit right. thats my 2 cents, lol.

Guest Anonymous

Well said Thomas, well said.

While I think the look of the figure is interesting, the fact that the sculpt is far from accurate is really annoying especially since I know Hasbro could've done a much better job had they taken the time to do a little research. Either way I still can't wait to get my greasy mits on Revan's figure and maybe customize him to make him a tad more accurate.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, Thomas. As the person who did a lot of the work drafting the Revan standards, I totally support your stand on this. The action figure deviates in SEVERAL significant ways from the game render, the most egregious of which being the fact that the mask seems to have been made from that darned mod that's out on the web. I remember even pointing that mod out as a "DANGER! COSTUMER! DANGER!" item in my presentation on Revan, because the stupid thing is so easy to find on the web that many people (sadly, including the sculptor, apparently) thought it was the "real" mask. And it's not.

But there are multiple other problems with the sculpt that deviate significantly as well.

Anyway, in summary, I totally back you up on this front. I will certainly buy the figure to have it, but I am disappointed in the lack of research that went into the making of it.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

i bet that the action figure version of the mask is the one that is going to be featured in the upcoming issues of the KOTOR comic. It wouldnt surprise if thats the case. I once had a ghostbuster figure that came with a bunch of strange accesories and packaging. It wasnt until almost a year later when they started advertising for the Ghostbusters 2 movie that I realized that the figure's packaging and accesories were tied in with the movie. So its possible this is just what Revan will look like in the future. So to anyone who likes the action figure's mask, perhaps soon there will be more references of it and that version will become as accepted as the original. Im not saying that that is for sure what is going on here, CloneEmp might be right, it could be the artists mistake in taking his reference from fanart, but on the other hand it could be the start of something new.