• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus Saber

Guest puncharen

Guest puncharen

I am currently commissioning a hand-crafted custom lightsaber from Hampton's Handcrafted Sabers. I am doing a COTF Nihilus, so I have taken the image of a saber hilt that I have seen posted in the forums and we are modifying it. I have attached the files for the original hilt image we started with and the current concept art for the design for my hilt. I am thinking of changing the barber pole style spiral striping to gold instead of the greyish black. I just felt the original was a bit plain and when sinking the money into a custom saber, I wanted it to actually have a little pop to it. Would this be an acceptable saber? I know it is not required, but with the super LED blade the lighting effects should add some real spice to my Nihilus costume. Any thoughts on the design?

You can learn more about the the guys doing my build here. https://www.facebook.com/HamptonsHandCraftedLightsabers

post-3363-142759262283_thumb.jpg

The lightsaber is not a required piece, but I do not see why you couldn't add the

gold to make it pop a little. However, the "canon" version is supposed to be

ghostly and weathered like his robes. The reason is that it, like his robes, do not

truly exist.

Allow me to explain, but I should warn you that this explanation is also a spoiler,

so please select the text below to see it.

----------

Darth Nihilus is a Wound in the Force and a Force Ghost that was manifested in

reality. His spirit and essence are contained in his mask, all else about him is a

memory that he clings to. His face, robes, belt, and all else about him are

memories that he has about his physical body. That is the reason it is all

completely and totally black and ragged. The Black is because of the form of his

memory, the ragged is because that was the way his Jedi robes were left after

the Mass Shadow Generator went off. His lightsaber is another story.

In the game and comics, he is never seen wearing a lightsaber on his belt.

Likewise, in the game Darth Nihilus never truly draws his lightsaber like everyone

else, it just seems to manifest itself in his hand. This is because it, like the rest

of his physical body, is just a memory kept manifest by his will.

The reality was that his lightsaber was just as dessicated as the rest of him, but

his memory clings to it stronger than it does to his physical body or robes. The

reason, I would surmise, is because a Jedi truly only owns their lightsaber. They

have to put so much energy into its creation, both literally and figuratively, that

it is more a part of them than even their body. So, his lightsaber would not be

black, but would remain silver.

----------

With that said, I do not see Darth Nihilus' lightsaber to have the showy gold on

it. This is not to say that you can't make it, just that I do not see it that way.

I see it, like his robes, to be the tattered remains in his memory of the lightsaber

he held on Malichor V. It would be weathered and haggard.