• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New guy from PA (Darth Krayt)

Guest Zel Gret

Guest Zel Gret

Hello everyone

I live on the East side of PA about an hour above Philly. I have been going to cons and costuming in PA, NJ and NY for more than 15years. I take a lot of pride in my work and always strive to make high quality costumes. I have worked as an FX artist and costumer on serval films and am currently making fan films. I am a member of The Mandalorian Mercs, Cobra's Finest and the Imperial Klingon Forces.

I very much want to become a member of the 501st. I want to join as Darth Krayt as he appears in WAR. This is the reborn Krayt with the red and black armor, not the spiky black armor with the helmet.

I see Darth Krayt is an approved character but I'm not sure if the version I want to do is, so I am gathering up reference pics to submit for approval. If his costume is acceptable, I will be making the shoulder, chest and back, all the belts, loin piece, gauntlets and holsters out of leather. I will sculpt and mold the four horns on the shoulders. I will also be buying two Ultrasabers, one red and one green for the costume.

I have attempted to attach a pic of the Krayt costume that I want to make. I have also attached a pic of my leather Kurgan armor I have made to demonstrate my leather working skills.

My Facebook account name is Zel Gret if you would like to friend me and see more.

Zel

DarthKrayt_zps69398982.jpg

PaulKurgan9.jpg

Hi,

Nice job on the leatherwork!

At this time that version is not an approved 501st costume. Darth Krayt is an approved character, however, which means that the costume COULD potentially be approved, provided that:

1. You can provide a full 360 view of the outfit, so you can prove what the front AND the back should look like.

2. You make a costume that matches the references!

I haven't read the Legacy comics in a while, so I can't remember how many images there might be of that particular outfit. The main difficulty with comic costumes is usually finding consistent full body shots of both the front and the back. Often we see only the front, or only the upper body, and cannot prove what the entire costume looks like, or the details change drastically from one issue (or even panel) to the next.

But, whether it can be approved or not, as I always say... if you really like that costume, make it for your own enjoyment, not because some group may or may not approve it sometime down the line!

Pam :-)

Guest Zel Gret

Thank you very much Pam! :D

I just bought the Legacy War Volume 11. I'm scanning the pics for reference in hope that this version of the character can be approved. The pics are fairly consistent, there are a good number of them, front, back and sides.

I feel confident that I will be able to replicate the costume to the high standards that the 501st adheres to.

I should have all the available reference photos ready in another day or so, although I'm not quite sure who I would submit them to for approval. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

It is important to me to do an approved costume and become a member of the 501st. If I can't get this approved I will have to find another character.

Thanks again

Zel

Guest kimballk

I have most on the Legacy comics digital (using them for my IK build). I'll take a look and see what I can find that I can screen capture as well.

I like the looks of that kit. The one issue you're going to have (and it's one I have when I do any "FACE" character) is the beard... Kryat doesn't have one. (I've put a Kryat build in my SL queue, but it'll be the full masked one for just that reason.)

Kevin