• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan Submission

KrayytDragon82

Hello all,

My name is Kristopher, Kris for short. I live in Bismarck, ND and have been working on a submission to join the 501st as Darth Revan. From what I can tell I have everything in order to join. The GML for Central Garrison recommended I get input from over here though. So I would appreciate feedback. Right now I just have pics of the individual parts, I don't have a picture of me wearing the costume as I am going to have a friend take those sometime this week.

Everything will be posted between various replies since I can only upload 3 images at a time.

Also, not pictured but I have are black pants to wear under the Hakama. I have everything listed on the standards for Revan. I have a Lightsaber hilt on order (it is of Revan's KOTOR Saber design) but that is listed as an optional item. Any feedback will be great, and I will add a pic of myself in costume once I have that available.

BTW I will be applying Central Garrison if that helps with anything.

[attachment=0]729964_10151435132907042_1734283423_o.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]729670_10151435126112042_810747679_o.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]729657_10151435133772042_1452898928_o.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]851901_10151435131472042_735725452_o.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]730118_10151435132112042_1931018556_o.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]729986_10151435126307042_1709208955_o.jpg[/attachment]

Welcome to the boards Kris, plenty of fellow Revans here to take a look. Will be eagerly awaiting your full pics. In the mean time, feel free to dig around here to see if issues you have are already covered somewhere. This is a great place to learn tricks.

Hi Kris

I'm just doing a Revan costume myself :) looks like we have the same kit - MyWickedArmour - if you want to check out my thread and see what I'm doing here's a link for you.

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2428

I'm basing some of mine on Darth Brutes thread as well.

Good luck with your build :)

I looked through your thread before I posted. By the sound of it you were still approved without changing the rings with clasps. I most nervous about doing this. The reason I chose to buy the armor from Rob at My Wicked Armor was because I have absolutely no skill in doing this stuff on my own. Darth Tagion (SL-99099) is from the Garrison I would be joining and he has given me a few tips. And the idea of digging into this armor scares me since I paid a decent amount for it and don't want to screw it up. So, I guess what I was getting at is, were you still able to get approved without making those changes?

I'm interested if it gets approved as well, as I think that answer is a step in the right direction.

However, as I said, there's a lot of info in these threads, and this little nugget of gold is perhaps my favorite:

Source: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2072

I will most certainly give my approval for those clips. I know that it's impossible to get a perfect match without custom designing the clips, but you've done a fine job of getting really close! I'm very pleased with the results.

I spoke to the legion membership officer about the shoulder clips recently because it's continuing to be an area of concern. We are trying to balance the requirement for proper costume pieces with the knowledge that it's dififcult to find some of those pieces. The 501st is all about striving to make the most accurate costumes possible, but the EU has costume pieces that just don't always exist in real life. It's a tough thing to balance, so this is what we settled on:

Darth Revan costumes will be approved with the thin, inaccurate rings, but the approval will come with the caveat of "replace the rings with more accurate clips as soon as you can locate them." In other words, don't just throw your money at the costume maker and decide that the costume is done when it arrives. Keep working to make it more accurate, as we all do with 501st costumes. We don't want to hold up people's approvals because of some small rings, but we don't want people to stop working on making their costumes more accurate, either.

Pam :-)

I think Pam said it best when she posted that.

I looked through your thread before I posted. By the sound of it you were still approved without changing the rings with clasps. I most nervous about doing this. The reason I chose to buy the armor from Rob at My Wicked Armor was because I have absolutely no skill in doing this stuff on my own. Darth Tagion (SL-99099) is from the Garrison I would be joining and he has given me a few tips. And the idea of digging into this armor scares me since I paid a decent amount for it and don't want to screw it up. So, I guess what I was getting at is, were you still able to get approved without making those changes?

My Revan isn't approved yet. I'm hoping to submit for approval soon but I am going to be changing those rings out before i do.

To quote from the CRL

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_revan

Cuirass (Chest Armor)

"Accurate clasps are strongly recommended. Rings are acceptable if a more accurate alternative is not available."

So I guess it's up to a call from the GML.

I will post some pics of what I do to replace the rings on my armour once i have it done, perhaps that might help.

I think maybe I should get this stickied and cleaned up, if people like it I'm willing to do so, maybe even add pictures.

For the record, on this topic, I only had two cut TWO slots, one for each of the lower rings.

I did the top ones first by removing the upper ring VERY carefully. I was careful not to tear the lower ribbon. Then, on the top corner piece that wraps to the back, I peeled up the first layer of the loop, leaving the original ribbon in place. Then, taking the new ring, I was able to loop it into the old ribbon that Rob installs initially. Through the rear of the loop I took the now long piece of ribbon, looping it from the underside, then pulling back, wrapping tightly to the underside of the chest piece. I did this as tight as possible, as that will anchor the new ring in place. Then I hot-glued the daylights out of the ribbon to secure it.

Then repeated for the other side.

Now I had a guide for angles. What I did was remove the ring AND the wire loopy from the initial ring on the lower part. This made a hole, which was later covered by the rings I got, you may need to do something different but I can show you what rings I used any time you like.

Now, taking the lower ring, I held the back end right along the edge of the armor, then angled it downward to be parallel with the upper ring. Taking a super sharp (please, use a fresh blade) hobby knife, I scored a line roughly the length equal to the width of the ribbon rob used initially. Now comes the dangerous, scary, downright terrifying part. I scored many many many more times, carving deeper and 'slightly' wider each time. The idea hear is to carve a slot wide enough to get the ribbon back through, but thin enough to not look ridiculous. If you are inexperienced with carving or unsteady of the hand this is the most dangerous part, both for you and the armor. Another option is to use a dremel tool that would do this faster, and safer, but if not careful and not using the right tool, you could do more damage than my hobby knife would.

Anyway, now we pretend we have the slot I mentioned. I took the ribbon rob used originally for, I think the shoulder ties (I trimmed them as I had a ton of excess, minimal replacement of bits was my goal). I bent it in half and crimped it with my teeth a little. Then using a thin dull device, maybe a butter knife, I pressed it from the rear, up to the front, as a little loop. Then carefully I got the lower loop to grab it. Again pulling it tight to anchor the piece down, and also dressing the ribbon to be as wide, and un-bunched as possible, I cranked it down and glued the snot out of it. Then I proceeded to used the rear ribbon once more, again pulling the outer layer and leaving the one mounted directly to the armor, I cranked that piece down too and glued it all to heck.

In all the process didn't take very long, I made sure to take my time. Do not rush this. I will not lie, there is one very very thin slice mark running out, not very far where my hand slipped once. Such is the burden of doing your own work.

Again BE CAREFUL, you have sharp objects, and I'm accustomed to 40k miniatures, carving with a hobby knife and also with gouging my thumbs with hobby knives, and the after pain when I super-glue my thumb back together. It only stings for the first 10 minutes.

I know this is just me being apprehensive, but reading a how to just intimidates me more. I think if I was shown or had a video to watch I wouldn't be freaking out about it as much. But hey, I am only freaked because I love the product lol.

That being said I do plan on eventually replacing the small rings with clasps. So I am hoping everything else is in order to get admitted since I would like to start trooping.

I plan on attending Planet Comic-con in Kansas City at the begining of April and plan on wearing this costume there (approved I would be willing to help at any 501st activities, not approved just as an attendee dressed up).

Here are submission photos. Feedback would be great :-)

The hood slid forward on the side view, which is why it looks like my head is completely behind the hood. In a few days I am going to add some velcro to the hood/mask to prevent this from happening. Also note the rings are still the ones that came with the armor. I do plan on changing those soon as well.

-I like to get the hood point down to where it is about an inch above the red stripe, I think the look really is achieved when you don't have a big dome of the forehead showing. I'm guessing a good placement would be just above your eyebrow line in real life, if the mask weren't on You should be able to see but likely the sides of the visor will be obscured because it will be that low.

-This one is kinda hard and takes getting used to. The bottom of your red drape should be darn close to in-line with the bottom edge of your hakama. If you can lower the red that is one option, your curiass is at the right height so lowering that isn't an option really. The other option is actually to pull up your hakama and wear it higher. I actually pull mine up to my belly button, rather than have it ride right on my hips with my pants. Third option would be to hem the bottom edge of the hakama as a last option I think.

-The black sash looks like it could be pulled tighter. Your front view looks good, the left side looks mostly good and passable but it is the right side that looks pretty low and loose. Rob's instructions state that it should be right under your butt. I place mine by having it right in that spot between cheek and leg. I finally put velcro at that measurement and trimmed it because I had too much fabric.

-Your shoulder-cape piece should tuck in from the side, covering the upper part of your bicep, with the bottom-edge being as close to parallel with the ground as possible. For my submission photos I actually ironed the pleats down hardcore and made sure they were all primped and hanging properly.

-The Bracers look to be maybe a little loose but there isn't really a requirement for it. You're probably fine but you might try tightening them up.

I love the hanging sheet, that's hardcore!

Despite the lengthy notes, it looks really good. With those tweaks I am positive you'd pass with no question.

Yeah I was having some issues with the shoulder thing. I figure I can get some help at events from others. I had to put this on myself.

The bracers look loose because my forearms arms are too big for them. I am going to find a way to jerry rig them to allow a better fit.

You might be interested to know that the LMO dropped into my build thread on my garrisons forum and mentioned that the eyes on the cuirass should be grey, not black. (indicated by red arrows on pic below)

torso2.jpg

I hadn't seen anything mentioned on this in any other threads here so I was a little surprised as I had read all I could find on the kit from My Wicked Armour (not complaining, just curious that I hadn't seen anything on it previously). I did query if the side tabs (yellow arrow) should also be grey in that case but unfortunately didn't get a reply.

You might be interested to know that the LMO dropped into my build thread on my garrisons forum and mentioned that the eyes on the cuirass should be grey, not black. (indicated by red arrows on pic below)

torso2.jpg

I hadn't seen anything mentioned on this in any other threads here so I was a little surprised as I had read all I could find on the kit from My Wicked Armour (not complaining, just curious that I hadn't seen anything on it previously). I did query if the side tabs (yellow arrow) should also be grey in that case but unfortunately didn't get a reply.

We should take this elsewhere. But I'll disagree wholeheartedly on the grounds that it's a false lighting and that means changing other items on the costume too, to include the shoulder caping, shirt, hakama and others.

Guest muppet

Just like to say thanks to Brendon SL-99099 for contacting me in regards to the colours on the curiass in particular the "eyes" and supplying a number of images to back up his case.

Im happy for them to remain black - to a lighter shade of black or a silver/grey colour as well.

Guest muppet

Kris i have posted up on your review that your GML had posted up on the main Legion forum, but you're very close to approval. Your costume looks great.

What Brendon has posted above is spot on and great advice.

Once you have adjusted those few items, you should be an easy pass for approval. I look forward to seeing the new pics.

ken

Kris i have posted up on your review that your GML had posted up on the main Legion forum, but you're very close to approval. Your costume looks great.

What Brendon has posted above is spot on and great advice.

Once you have adjusted those few items, you should be an easy pass for approval. I look forward to seeing the new pics.

ken

Thanks Ken,

Kris I'd be happy to call/skype something if you need help between now and Planet Comicon. As it is, there's a whole month to shoot some photos and get them spot on for submission. I'm a pretty impatient guy when I really want to get something done, so if you want some help I'm totally game to work with you long-distance if you need some help.

Here's the worst-case scenario: We meet up at Planet Comicon, I'll bring my hobby knife and hot-glue gun. I'll also bring a decent camera(not my phone) and get you squared away 100%.

Either way we can get you approved super-easy, we just need to make some tweaks.

So I pass the ball to you: would you like to attend PCC as a member perhaps? Or shall we meet up at PCC and finish everything there?

Your call dude, we're on the home-stretch.

Thanks Ken,

Kris I'd be happy to call/skype something if you need help between now and Planet Comicon. As it is, there's a whole month to shoot some photos and get them spot on for submission. I'm a pretty impatient guy when I really want to get something done, so if you want some help I'm totally game to work with you long-distance if you need some help.

Here's the worst-case scenario: We meet up at Planet Comicon, I'll bring my hobby knife and hot-glue gun. I'll also bring a decent camera(not my phone) and get you squared away 100%.

Either way we can get you approved super-easy, we just need to make some tweaks.

So I pass the ball to you: would you like to attend PCC as a member perhaps? Or shall we meet up at PCC and finish everything there?

Your call dude, we're on the home-stretch.

Well I just got an e-mail confirmation from Rob that my Saber hilt is in the mail. So I think I am going to wait on redoing pictures until that arrives. Though I am going to be pretty busy at least the next few weeks. That's the burden sometimes of working two jobs. I was going to go Lowes or something to see if I couldn't figure something out for the braces since my forearms are too big for them. Plus grab some Velcro from Hobby Lobby for the Hood and the Sash. I think I am having the too much fabric issue as well, but it could be I accidentally took some photos with the cape inside the sash. I didn't realize it until we had taken a few photo's so I removed the cape and it just may have shifted a bit.

But as far as photos go if I cannot get them done before PCC definitely. We will still need to work out when to meet up for the Chest Armor. I will be driving down Friday, so I will arrive Friday Evening. I will e-mail you my contact info before PCC so we can work that out.

Even if I am not at "Member" status I will still wear the costume to PCC. What is the point of going to a Comic-con and not dressing up?

Sounds great. I'll let you even get a close look on some of my stuff if you need. I've found the spots that annoy me most and velcro'd a handful of them, makes for faster donning as well.

As for the bracers, it 'might' mess up the paint (just a simple repaint right?) but you might try a heatgun, protecting your arms with some fabric and remolding them to your arms. I did something similar while wearing a hoodie, a heat-gun and some mandalorian armor plates. It's an idea, as it's plastic not metal, you could perhaps heat and reshape. If you do any addition I'd do it on the inside and somehow find a way to hide it as best as possible.