• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Scratch Build CW Asajj Ventressj

Guest tink0214

Guest tink0214

[attachment=0]Asajj Ventress in the works 004.JPG[/attachment]Hi Everyone---

My name is Ann and I'm in the middle of building a CW Asajj. I've worn this character before; just not in a 501st quality costume. My husband is helping, along with other friends of the 501st as he is a TK already. I am posting pics of the body suit and will have more to come. All comments/suggestions are welcomed. Hope to be trooping with you all soon instead of just handling all the time.

Guest tink0214

Yes, that was my intention. I'm still trying to get the material to cooperate with me for the wraps. They have been giving me some trouble fraying after I die them. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I'm trying to get them right first, then I plan to attach them to the suit via sleeves I think so that they can be put on and taken off with a little more ease. I am still working on the tabard, buckle, and skirt. I will post pics when I am done before submission to get more feedback.

Guest tink0214

Here are some updated pics on my progress so far. Any help/suggestions for paint and bald cap.

Remember I live in Florida where it gets hot and humid.

[attachment=0]5628_453365028066453_2084806063_n.jpg[/attachment]

When I was down in Florida for CVI I used a really good sealer to keep my make-up on in the heat and humidity. I used Ben Nye's Final Seal; 3 coats over top of my body paint, and it was fine. If you are worried about sweating under the bald cap and having the edges come loose, you can also get a good primer/sealer for your skin before you put the prosthetics and make-up on. Mehron has a great Barrier Spray for use on the skin and under make-up to help suppress sweating. If you need a stronger sealer, you can always go with Green Marble SeLr, it's what they use in the movie industry for underwater scenes. Keep in mind you will need a good remover to take off Green Marble, other wise you could be Ventress for a few days. The nice thing with Final Seal is that it will come off in the shower with soap and a good scrub.

Bald caps are generally made of latex and can be glued down with a good prosthetic glue. I find Pros-Aide is the best glue out on the market right now. There are stronger ones, but they are very pricey. Pros-Aide is strong, cheap, sweat resistant and great for people with sensitive skin. Plus it comes in its regular form for glueing on prosthetics, and then it has a Creme version for blending edges. You will need a good remover to get it off, I use either Ben Nye's Bond-Off or Telesis' Super Solv. Please don't use Spirit Gum. No matter what anyone tells you, Spirit Gum was designed for lace goods only, as in moustaches, beards and wigs. Spirit Gum won't hold a bald cap on for a long amount of time, plus it is not resistant to sweat.

If you do go with a latex bald cap keep in mind that cream base make-up's will discolour slightly over top of latex prosthetics. Even though you put the same colour make-up on your face as the bald cap, you will notice a difference in tint on the bald cap. You can stop this by either sealing the bald cap first, or by using Castor Oil mixed in with your cream make-up. If you go with a water based make-up (face or body paint) then you will have to seal the bald cap first. Castor Oil won't work with water based paints. Some water based paints discolour, and some do not, it's all trial and error.

Down in Florida I used both cream and water based make-ups and they were fine in the heat and humidity. As I said before, it's all in a great sealer!

I hope some of this info helps you out! Just be warned, if you haven't done a bald cap before, they are very tricky to do and you will need help. Still takes me about 2 hours to put a bald cap on someone and I've been doing FX make-up a while. The key is Practice and Patience!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest tink0214

Thanks for the info....it has helped a lot. Here is a pic of the finished costume that I'm about to send out for approval. I went to a local community Star Wars event to debut it to work out any trooping malfunctions. There were a couple of issues I need to address then I'm submitting for approval this weekend. Finally! Thanks to all who helped with feedback. :mrgreen: