• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Need to know how much material to buy for a Mara Jade Costum

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am 4"11" in height probably about 150lbs. Need to know how much material to buy to make a Mara Jade costume it comes in a yard.

Guest Aysel

which Mara Jade are you doing? When I buy fabric for a costume, I look at patterns that approximate what I'm making, use their yardage estimates then get 1-3 yards more then what the package says (yes I usually end up with lots of leftovers but better that than not having enough)

Guest Fevre Chance

I've been meaning for ages to figure out the standard for how much fabric my bodysuits use - I make a lot of comic book costumes, so it's a number I could really use - but I always forget! Since Mara Jade doesn't have sleeves, theoretically it would take a bit less fabric, but since the legs have so many pieces that you have to place, that takes a bit more. I think I made my bodysuit with 2-2.5 yards of fabric, but I'd probably buy 2.5-3 to be safe.

If you want to have a more exact number, the best thing to do would be to make the patterns first, then lay them out on the floor or a table. So if the fabric you are looking at is 60" wide, and you're planning on folding it in half to cut out your pieces on the double, then mark out 30" and lay all your pattern pieces within that 30" wide area. Then you'll see exactly how much fabric you would need!

View A of this Kwik Sew pattern would probably be a good guideline:

http://kwiksew.mccall.com/filebin/pdf/K ... /K3052.pdf

Looks like about 2 yards should be good, but I'm like Aysel and like to get extra just in case ;)