• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

To make a Mara Jade Jumpsuit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am new to all of this I am not exactly good at sewing and I don't know how to make a Mara Jade costume or is there place that i can actually go to make the costume? What kind of material is the best. Lots of questions because I am just starting to get into Star Wars my son loves it and when I found out about everything and that you go to all kinds of charity events it got me excited plus it made my son happy. Now it's all about how to make the costume. So it anyone could help that would be great. Thanks Jackie!

Guest Aysel

hello and welcome to the Flagship Eclipse! you've come to the right place to ask your questions. My best advice to you would be to read what some of the other ladies have done to make their jumpsuits. Everyone that learns to sew had to start somewhere, while not an easy project it'll certainly be worth while. Once you've actually started to make things post lots of pictures so if something comes up that needs to be fixed we can catching it during the building process and not when you submit your application.

Good luck with your build!

^_^ Katie

I have made this suit twice and many (maaaaany) bodysuits from PVC.

General advice:

Make your test pattern from something with the same stretch. If you are using PVC (shiny or matte are both accepted given the scarcity of good 4-way strech PVC) then regular stretch fabric will be much too stretchy. You'll wind up with a pattern that s too small.

I use a mechanical stretch which is often available on sale tables. It is like a normal woven fabric but has added lyra. So it doesn't stretch as much as a kntted stretch. Even stretch panne velvet will work reasonably well.

Use white or pastel coloured pencil to mark the inside pieces. It is more durable than tailor's chalk but does eventually flake out as well.

Do make seams atual seams where possible. I am even thinking of redoing my Mara with the "topstitching" lines on the thighs as individual pieces to make them srutdier and more obvious.

The piping down the front and back offers a great opportunity to shape over the bust and in to the sweep of the back. You can do these by simply drawing the line on the pattern, cutting it and adding seam allowances plus a little extra over the bust. You may need to also mark above and below bust as a guide when you do this :)

I have an easy guide to doing piping on my website: http://articles.glittersweet.com