• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade hair length

Guest Boudicca

Guest Boudicca

Hello,

I've decided I'm definitely going to do a Mara Jade, perhaps this summer, although more likely in the fall.

I have the red hair in an appropriate shade (I keep it dyed anyway) and the green eyes. But right now my hair barely comes down to touch my shoulders. Is this acceptable? If not, how much longer would my hair need to be to be approvable? I'd like to avoid a wig if possible, so if I need to grow my hair a little longer and wait a couple more months, that's fine. How much longer would my hair need to be, if any?

Thanks!

Guest Aysel

it sounds like you've got the hair and eyes to begin with, as long as it's within what could be considered about the right length, it shouldn't hold up your application

normal_BackHarnessHolster.jpg

can you post a pic of your hair as it is now? If it's too short (which I doubt from your description), I'd recommend some temporary extensions over a wig.

and btw, welcome warrior queen ^_^ to the Flagship Eclipse ^_^

^_^ Katie

I highly recommend doing the tan cowl version (I have a spare one and can make matching gloves if this will help :) ) as you can hide your hair securely and one you feel comfortable when your hair is longer you can wear it outside the hood :)

When I first made the costume my hair was hip length (so much too long) and I was able to make a loose bun at the nape of my neck and used my goggles to hold the cowl in place. If you are worried about that not being enough to hold it in placce you can sew a slide comb to the inside of the cowl to keep it in place.

6346853060_3e0530b36d_m.jpg

sm_P1090664 by glittersweet, on Flickr

My hair is now ideal length but is all kinds of crazy due to medication (the new curls are more perplexing than anything ;) ) so I stll wear the hood up. I did have this costume approved for 501st a few years ago, but I retired it a while back. It is currently RL approved though :)

Guest Boudicca

Thank you ladies for the feedback and the welcome! I will try to post a pic in the next couple days or so (traveling today). But it sounds like the cowl is definitely the way to go because it can hide the length (or lack thereof) of my hair!

Then there's the matter of my having no sewing experience.. But I'm hoping to take some classes this summer so I have some idea what I'm doing!

Guest Aysel

the cowl is pretty simple, it's very much like a long open ended pillow case. Lessons are a good way to go, it's a great skill to have.

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I didn't want to create a new topic cos I think it's similar thing.. so here's my problem. I have blond hair so I have to wear a wig but here's the best which I found :/

r7ab.jpg

It's way too looong and it has fringe but it's good quality and has very nice color. Maybe I could cut it a bit and do something with the fringe. What do you think about it?

I haven't looked on ebay yet cos I don't feel sure about buying something from Hong Kong or China.

Anyway, I'll keep looking :)

Thanks!

ebay is actually a good place to find wigs that are fairly good quality for decent prices (don't buy any of the actual costume pieces from there) and talk with a hair stylist about what to look for and what to watch out for.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for sharing the link! They have very nice wigs, and this one looks good for Mara, but isn't it too curly?

But I found there a wig with a ponytail so finally I can carry on with work at my Maladi costume :D

Guest Fevre Chance

I actually own Arda's Matila wig for an X-Men costume I've done, so I can say that it is a nice wig, but it's very voluminous and curly. It's heat resistant, so you could straighten it as you need, but it is also pretty long to begin with so straightening it would make it even longer. ...Of course, then you could cut it, and THEN it would be perfect!!

http://i46.tinypic.com/349ezxj.jpg

Here is the wig on, with the hair all pulled to the front and fluffed up.

http://i46.tinypic.com/ngu62v.jpg

Here is the wig again but with the hair behind my back, and I think in this case it does look pretty nice for Mara, though of course it is all still curly.

Guest Anonymous
Eddi - I rehosted the photos on tinypic, hopefully the links will work for you now.

Thanks for posting pics. Your cosplay is truly amazing and wig looks lovely but I'm not sure if I'll manage to do all the needed changes for Mara :/.

this one is a good color for Mara, but it'll have to be trimmed, something a hair stylist can do. http://arda-wigs.com/collections/matilda this one would be great for Jean Grey but it's got the wrong kind of curliness for Mara.

Ok, thank you. One more question - wig should be shortened to the shoulder length or to the armpit ?