• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Filling out a Mask

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a strange question that I'm hoping someone on here can help me with. A friend of mine just had a latex mask made for his Dr. Who costume (looks kinda like a Cantina Band member mask). The trouble is it's got a huge dome that basically deflates on top of his head when he puts it on and it falls to where he can't see out of his eye holes.

I know he's not the first person to have this problem. My Hellboy mask has similar issues with the face. It needs filled in with something light so it will hold it's shape and I can glue it to my face better. In fact the only latex anything that I've seen or owned that fit right is Pam's Lekku.

I figure there are a few possibilities with this; a snoopy hat like you'd wear with a jousting helmet and coif that's stuffed to the right shape with quilt batting. A guy could also use those polystyrene pellets that Pam uses to fill the lekku and figure out some way to form hole for his head.

I was wondering what folks on here thought on this. It would fix his mask but would also give me some answers for future latex and dragonskin mask projects I want to do down the line. I figure if any forum has folks that knows this stuff it's this one. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Aysel

you can take medium density foam (like the green stuff they sell at Joann's) fill the space with that, then seal it with a little expanding foam. it's how I know someone with lekku filled the humps so they wouldn't deflate.

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate the fast response on this. I see what you mean about the foam and sealant. It sounds like the idea is to leave the filler in the mask and that is the first major question. I guess the next part will be to figure out how to shape the foam and make it so his head fits in it.

For some other masks of mine I don't know why I never thought of just using Joann's foam. For some reason when Smooth-on's involved it seems like I tend to make everything more complicated than it has to be.