• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan Mask (a new WIP...sort of)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Greeting fellow Revan aficionados!.

I’m not quite to posting a WIP thread, but thought I’d post a pic and get some feedback…as I have a couple of questions.

With screen caps from KOTOR, the newer images of Revan from TOR and Drew Karhyshyn’s novel AND various concept art and interpretations, the Revan costume (primarily the mask) is somewhat variable. The costume standards are written to be a tad vague (as are many costume standards for the 501st and Rebel Legion).

I’m am creating an entire Revan costume and have begun with the mask. Up to this point, I’ve concentrated (primarily) on the screen caps from the KOTOR game. What you see below is what I call “Test Mask #2”, which is a fiberglass casting from a mold made of the original sculpture. This mask is meant as a test of basic shapes and paint schemes. I’ll be working on details next, and will develop a master prop from which a mold will be created so that I can make many Revan masks (I’ve got 6 Revan costumes to make, so far). I’ll start the armor sculpture within the next few weeks.

RevanTestMask2.jpg

I have two questions:

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Visor material. The vast majority of trooper buckets use dark green acetate face-shield material. I think Revan’s should be black or gray. I’ve found some motor cycle face shield replacements that are “smoke” or “gray” that should work nicely. But I’ve also found some mirrored material that might also look good.

I’m wondering what most folks have used and whether or not a mirrored visor material might be acceptable.

The other question I have is…do you see any major design issues that I should tackle as I finish the details for a master mold? Yes, I’m aware the two buttons at the bottom of the snout area are not pictured on this test mask. I assure you, they will be added ;) Oh, and this mask is designed to cover the whole face.

Thanks for your input…

/bow

Guest Aysel

6 you say? you've got your work cut out for you. That being said, you could do some tests with different window tintings to see what you like, also there is a spray on tinting that could work out. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous
6 you say? you've got your work cut out for you. That being said, you could do some tests with different window tintings to see what you like, also there is a spray on tinting that could work out. ^_^

^_^ Katie

hehe...yeah, there's a bunch in my garrison who want Revan. It's a one time offer...for me to make their costume (as I'm making mine). We're about to have Revan parties, where I'll put them to work. Once we're done, that's it. I won't make any more complete Revans. I will make the mask and armor available to those who want it. Raw castings will be cheaper than finished ones...but I'm not going to advertise, I'll only sell through word-of-mouth and via PMs from those who find my WIP thread.

As for this first test...I think I'm going to carve a line on the outside of the outer most red section, to give it more depth. Going to go by a local motor cycle shop later today to see what kind of replacement visors they have. And...I need a new paint scheme. While the original is much darker that what's pictured (direct sun makes the above pics lighter than it really is) I need a better paint scheme.

Stay tuned for the official WIP thread ;)