• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Heart Of An Empire (Dvd)

Guest Nihilus

Guest Nihilus

Was so stoked today when I went out to get my pay. I popped into the ABC Shop like I do every payday, and low and behold what do I find with the Star Wars Clone Wars DVDS but the very movie which told me about the 501st and after I seen it I knew I wanted to be part of the 501st when I seen all the wonderful things they did.

The DVD is 2 disk and ABC have it priced at $19.95. 8)

heart-of-an-empire.jpg

Description

In 1997, Albin Johnson took his obsession with the Star Wars Trilogy to another level by founding the Fighting 501st Legion. His small club set themselves apart from other fans by creating meticulously authentic looking costumes of the film's Imperial Forces and miscellaneous baddies.

Over the next decade his legion of stormtroopers, Imperial guards, bounty hunters and Sith Lords would grow to over 4000 armoured members and its focus had shifted away from the conquest of a galaxy far, far away to charity work right here on planet Earth. The Legion's visits to children's hospitals and extreme acts such as running major marathons in full regalia took them from being a small costumed fanclub to a high profile media sensation.'Heart of an Empire' follows the ups and downs of Albin and his fanboy army while exploring the motives, obsessions and the public perception of these eccentric philanthropists. We hear from legion members as well as academics, Lucasfilm representatives and actors from the original Star Wars Trilogy who all try and shed light

on the phenomenon. But as the story unfolds it takes an unexpectedly tragic twist when Albin's own daughter is diagnosed with cancer and his surrogate family must come to his aid and reveal

what really lies at the Heart of an Empire.

Guest Sarah1968

I'll be keeping an eye out for that one at my local ABC shop.

Perhaps after viewing it, my kids will realise that Mum's not such a big dork after all :mrgreen:

Guest Aysel

they show cased a couple of troopers, Albin being one, and the other a trooper from Florida who's son died but loved Star Wars so much that Dad is now trooping in his honor. I met him at CV, great guy.

^_^ Katie (With a tear her eye thinking about him)

Guest Nihilus

It was beautiful how George Lucas had all the Star Wars toys etc sent to the one whose son did end up passing away. It was so sad he didn't get to see troopers that were coming to pay him a visit :cry:

This morning, I actually got the limited Edition 501st Figure of R2 KT which is a life size R2 Unit built by the founding member of the 501st made in remembrance of his little girl who past away from a brain tumor when this movie was being made :(