• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP: Cyrax's Revan Mask

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So, A breif introduction. I started surfing TheDentedHelmet.com about 3 months ago after deciding I wanted to try my hand at costuming (At the insistence of my wife); Only to find an amazing network of skilled and dedicated fans! Having said that, I have found my way here; the wife wants a Revan costume and so I have begun my quest.

My personal motto is, "Taking nerd to the next level". Having said this, and seen the previous thread in regards to mask accuracy; I have decided to attempt to make the most accurate mask possible. After my first attempt, pictured below. I decided to try it again, with some new sanding techniques and materials. If It turns out as well as I hope I will gladly try my hand at casting it! Since starting into this, I have purchased an Orbital Sander, and an airbrush gun!

Here are the 1st attempts at the mask, notice the unfortunate texture on the faceplate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

My current medium is double layered posterboard, fiberglass resin, and bondo. I created a printable template based off the scaling and half helmet of the WizardofLight Templates on Thedentedhelmet.com

Guest Anonymous

Updated Pictures of the actual WIP! I narrowed the whole mask down after the first creation. This is unprimed, with a little sanding to do. Sorry for the phone-camera. Will be sanding down the right indent to bring it back into symmetry, I noticed the accumulation of fiberglass.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Guest Aysel

nice progress from your first attempt! which can always be taken and made into a custom sith at a latter time ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

So, I've primed it once, did some filling and am getting to prime again. My real question is this. After I complete the paintjob; to clearcoat gloss or clearcoat flat? Either way the paint will need protection.

Any thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

3rd or so coat of primer, was still drying in this pic. 1 last round of touch ups with glazing putty to go ( Just waiting for it to dry so I can sand and prime for the last time.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Guest Aysel

teehee my comment was to your asking what to finish it with, flat or gloss, I vote for a satin clear coat ^_^ anyhoo, I've gone through cans of that stuff working on mando helmets, it's great for filling in the little divots after you sand bondo ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Still no breather hole yet, but sans clear coat. The side by side doesn't have the mask STRAIGHT on, but I think it reflects the symmetry.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Guest Aysel

ya, more blood red (blue based) then the red you had (orange based) a dark brick red would probably be closer to what you need

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

That And I will be going for the flat paints instead of the metallics for the detailing. I will still leave a partial metallic undercoat to show the wear. I actually found that after laying that coat down, spraying on the color coat, and taking a piece of masking tape to the edge while it is still dry, takes up part of the paint and leaves a nice scar pattern!

Guest MRJEDI21

I think the color is too reddish/pink and needs to be a bit darker, but that is just me and looking at the computer image from the game it looks more darker. I have a Revan mask now and the red is more darker.

Guest Anonymous

After applying the Satin clearcoat, I think it mellowed the red out a bit more, I am happy with the overall result.Added the backstraps and padded it with Velvet. Feels nice and comfy! Could wear it all day! Also, after the paint dried and set it was a better red. Ignore the black specs, they are a byproduct of my stupid phone's camera. (bout 2 years old at this point)

final.jpg

Sidebyside.jpg