• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan WIP - Cape/Capelet/Hood & armour sculpted

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know it desperately needs to be ironed, but I finished sewing the hood, caplet, and the cape (pleats and all, oh the agony haha) tonight - and assembled them together with the clips that it'll attach to the armour by.

6194272576_175b33282c_z.jpg

It sits a bit oddly since I'm holding it, but I think once I've got the rigid chest armour done, it'll sit well. And once I've ironed the pleats again! It's one complete piece.

That's me :) wearing my sculpted Revan mask (and I swear, I didn't plan wearing that shirt haha), which I'll be casting into poly resin this weekend... along with the armour below! I sculpted it out of plastillina, using high density foam carved as a base for it. Still a bit of tweaking before I cast it, nitpicky things.

6193755275_23f4358b00.jpg

Hand armour, and I'm also casting the ring for the belt, as I haven't been able to find one to my liking.

6193755193_e25327b78e.jpg

Vambraces, in two parts.

6194272118_a68b075535.jpg

It looks like your costume is coming along nicely. I LOVE seeing build threads like this! (And yes, the pleats are designed to drive people crazy!)

Will the final cast of the chest/tummy armor be rounded? It looks quite flat across the front, and I'm concerned that you would get dinged for that. We've seen both ends of the spectrum over the years: armor that was too flat, and armor that made people look like they were wearing a barrel. Both were sent back for revisions before they were approved.

Nice work, it looks as if we have another artist on the forum.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous
It looks like your costume is coming along nicely. I LOVE seeing build threads like this! (And yes, the pleats are designed to drive people crazy!)

Will the final cast of the chest/tummy armor be rounded? It looks quite flat across the front, and I'm concerned that you would get dinged for that. We've seen both ends of the spectrum over the years: armor that was too flat, and armor that made people look like they were wearing a barrel. Both were sent back for revisions before they were approved.

Nice work, it looks as if we have another artist on the forum.

Pam :-)

You know I was trying to decide if there wasn't enough roundness to it - even though the references seem fairly flat. I think you're righ

But now I can't stop looking at it hahaha! I think you're right, I think it is too flat. I'm going to read up a bit more on the resin & rubber I'm using to see if I should just resculpt it hehe. Thank you so much for checking it out, I'm so glad I got another set of eyes (other than my husband's haha) on it! :)

~ Amanda

Guest Anonymous

So! Because I had wrapped my foam 'chest' in packing tape, I was able to peel off the sculpted armour with relatively little damage. From there, I added another layer and rounded off the foam base, and then refit the armour sculpture to it.

6197112512_8bb020a21a.jpg

I am SO much happier with how they look! Comparing them side by side, this looks a lot more natural and less blocky. :) Thank you so much for the critical eye, Pam!

~ Amanda

where did you get the patterns for the hood/cape

The hood can be about any hood pattern just adjust for size. Cape is even simpler, I used a 1 yd wide piece and pleated the crap out of it to fit between my shoulders. The red drape in the front was a half or 3/4 yard pleated too.