• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan - Armor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In the next few posts, I am putting in photos of Revan's chest and abdominal armor that's already been made, so people can look at what others have done before them (I'll put in vambrace pictures and hand armor pictures in a separate post). Hopefully, this will spark discussion about sculpting, coloring, etc. etc. and provide inspiration for people setting out to make their own versions. If anybody finds other Revan photos that shows the armor in detail, please feel free to post so we can have that resource here - I'll be adding them as I find them.

First, here are a few images of Revan's armor from the game (if you need larger versions, PM me):

s320x320.jpg

s320x320.jpg

Ok, on to armor already made. The armor shown below is sold on eBay from time to time. I was inspired to make the armor, in fact, by this person's work. I think he did a great job, overall.

s320x320.jpg

Things to think about: He split the upper and lower armor into two parts, which helps for ease of movement, and connects the two pieces with black fabric, which is not terribly accurate, but still looks pretty cool.

s320x320.jpg

The armor doesn't go around the back, but partly around the sides. This is one way of solving various practical and comfort-based issues with the costume and works pretty well, if not perfectly.

s320x320.jpg

Here's an image of the armor being worn.

Now, mine:

s320x320.jpg

I sculpted the armor slightly differently to try to make it appear more accurate to my eye (your mileage may vary) and used a brighter, more metallic paint scheme. On the plus side, I think the metallic look is accurate. On the negative side, it's too bright and shiny compared to the game Revan. I amuse myself by thinking this is Revan's armor before it went through the wars, but truly, it shouldn't be quite this gold or highly reflective. Something between mine and the above would be better, I think.

I also split the armor, but connected it with black webbing instead of fabric, which I then painted and hand-detailed to get the silvery/pewtery look seen in the game.

s320x320.jpg

Different way of strapping things together. Mine involves over-the-shoulder webbing rather than a loop around the neck, plus other differences. Mine also doesn't go all the way around as clamshelled armor, and while the sides are longer to cover more, you can still sometimes tell that the armor isn't a full around-the-torso arrangement.

s320x320.jpg

Photo of the armor, worn.

This is a photo of Revan armor done by SL 9243 of the Northeast Remnant Garrison:

s320x320.jpg

I can't tell if his armor goes all the way around or not. It's a very different sort of sculpt compared to those above, which I find interesting. On a parenthetical note, I like the fact he has the silver sections on the belt. This is something I plan to do, myself.

Just a note on the armor not going all the way around (as it does in the game, albeit very poorly rendered and incoherently detailed): The main time you can see a problem with this approach to the costume is when the costumer assumes a high guard fighting stance, or move the cape back, like so:

s640x480.jpg

s320x320.jpg

Guest Invader

hmmm wonder if i can make this out of sintra or try carboard and paste fiberglass coating on it any ideas for the uncrafting challenge? lol

Guest Anonymous
hmmm wonder if i can make this out of sintra or try carboard and paste fiberglass coating on it any ideas for the uncrafting challenge? lol

Hello! I'm sorry, I missed your post until now! Well, I am going to try redoing my vambraces using Sintra. I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know anything about paste fiberglass, so I can't offer an opinion. However, if you attempt it, let us know how it goes, ok? I'd love to know...the more options, the better!

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

I'm wondering about the hardware on the armor. the places where the cape attaches and also the little danglies at the bottom and the large circle that the burgandy sash hangs from... did you just make your own or did you search the hobby stores for these items. I know it's been a while since i've posted (life gets in the way sometimes) now i'm starting the fabric search and the hardware search. I'm also sad to admit that i haven't vacuumformed anything yet :cry: but soon! I have my plastic and my table! as soon as the hubby comes home from work i'll make him do kid control and hopefully be able to do some of that today!!

Guest Anonymous

I am also wondering about the vambrance ridge.. is that really there or is that just a computer thing (like on the lightsaber picture that's posted) That's the first time i've seen the ridge in a picture so I was wondering because i don't see it in any other pics or on other costumes (maybe just 2 costumes)... can you help maybe with more pics or something? My mold is ready to go (so I thought) and i just looked at the costuming standards for the 501st and I saw that ridge for the 1st time so.. do i need to change mine or what do you think? :shock:

Guest Anonymous
I'm wondering about the hardware on the armor. the places where the cape attaches and also the little danglies at the bottom and the large circle that the burgandy sash hangs from... did you just make your own or did you search the hobby stores for these items. I know it's been a while since i've posted (life gets in the way sometimes) now i'm starting the fabric search and the hardware search. I'm also sad to admit that i haven't vacuumformed anything yet :cry: but soon! I have my plastic and my table! as soon as the hubby comes home from work i'll make him do kid control and hopefully be able to do some of that today!!

Hardware:

1. Places where cape attaches. I used clips you can get at sporting good stores (I don't know their name but can take a closeup photo if you'd like) and, believe it or not, ring-shaped drawer pulls from a hardware store (those form the attachment points on the armor). The drawer pulls aren't perfect in look, but at the late date I was assembling the armor, I declared them "good enough." I can go into detail as to why they aren't perfect if requested. Basically, there should be a short length of (for instance) black elastic or webbing from the armor to the ring that the cape's mantle attaches to, and in the case of the drawer pulls, that isn't there. Anyway, can post comparision pics to show what I mean if you like. Still, it make a quick and nearly accurate attachment point.

2. Little danglies at the bottom of the armor - those are small o-rings, purchased from Tandy leather, attached to the backside of the armor and hanging down, using lengths of black webbing. These, I believe, look VERY accurate.

3. Large circle the red sash hangs from: Well, for one thing, I don't hang the red sash from it . It causes the fabric to bunch and, depending upon the screenshot, it's not easy to determine if that red sash is supposed to hang from the ring or behind it. I hang the sash from behind and attach the "fannywrapper" black fabric piece from the ring alone. To me, it looks a lot cleaner and doesn't contradict the graphics. All costumes I have seen that hang the red sash make the sash hang bunched. My opinion only, but I don't think that looks accurate. Anyway, that's a large O-ring, also from Tandy Leather. Tandy additionally sells a decorated O-ring (they are for harnesses for horses) that I bought and thought about using as the graphic shows some detailing on the ring, but decided the proportions weren't quite right and went with the plain.

I hope this helps! And no worries, these costumes can take a long time to get moving on. :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous
I am also wondering about the vambrance ridge.. is that really there or is that just a computer thing (like on the lightsaber picture that's posted) That's the first time i've seen the ridge in a picture so I was wondering because i don't see it in any other pics or on other costumes (maybe just 2 costumes)... can you help maybe with more pics or something? My mold is ready to go (so I thought) and i just looked at the costuming standards for the 501st and I saw that ridge for the 1st time so.. do i need to change mine or what do you think? :shock:

If you look at this image, you can clearly see that the ridge is intentional and not an artifact of weird lighting, etc. in the game. Click on the link below.

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... m=6&pos=35

Now, my vambraces have a few problems - which is why I am awaiting the Sintra so I can redo them, and one of those is that the ridge was added on when I made them, and doesn't look totally accurate - they have other design flaws as well. But as you can see in that screenshot, the ridge exists...if you look at where the vambrace ends near the elbow, you can see how the fold of the ridge is causing a "tent" or v-shape to the vambrace up there, so it's definitely not just a shadow. You can see it in other screenshots as well, but that's the clearest indication that it's really part of the model's mesh and not just lighting.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

You're right of course...clearly it does have a ridge...I was so ready to be done!! But that's not hard to fix so what am I whining about anyway? :D great! I should be able to get the rest of my stuff soon then and I bought some good black fabrics so I'm on my way again!! Carolyn - you are extremely helpful I probably wouldn't have made it this far without your guidance.. Thank you!!!! :D

Guest Anonymous

You're very welcome! I have a good friend who lent me use of his garage space, his vacuform, and his knowledge and good cheer when I was working on my costume. I'm delighted to be able to "pay it forward" and I can't wait to see how your Revan turns out! :)

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone tried using metal for this armor (like copper or bronze) or is everyone all about the thermoplastics and abs type materials? Just curious cause I have recently started a Revan costume and have opted to use bronze over plastics, and wanted to see if anyone else has done it? I have run across many of your costumes and they have been very helpful in guiding me so far. Also has anyone dared doing the back armor?

Guest Anonymous
Has anyone tried using metal for this armor (like copper or bronze) or is everyone all about the thermoplastics and abs type materials?

I think you'll find most of the folk use the plastic materials for their armor based on cost and comfort.

Also has anyone dared doing the back armor?

I completed the back when finishing my armor set based on the screencaps from the game. It's a bit more compressing than just using the front but I like details on my costumes.

Guest Anonymous

I believe the ridge on the bracers was unintentional. As a 3D modeller, if I meant to have a pronounced ridge on the bracers I would have added shadowing to the texture. I think the modeller simply forgot to smooth the normals on the model, which is an easy thing to miss. There is also a similar ridge on the front of Revan's sleeve, which is clearly not intentional but comes from not smoothing the normals as well. Some 3D applications and game engines automatically add a hard edge if the angle between polygons reaches a certain threshold unless you force it smooth manually. That said, the ridge looks cool on Carolyn's bracers. :)

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone

Totally new to the Star Wars Universe and am actually wanting to do Darth Revan as my first costume.

Can people give me some idea how to start? Would like to do it myself but dont have much spare time to construct the armour or helmet myself, plus dont have the cash at the moment to buy some of the 'ingredients' to make it out of plastic, metal etc

Would be a great help.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Here is my armor that Rob made for me but with a few modifications that I have done including the abdomen section.

30610_432737055773_733320773_5657087_6607231_n.jpg

30610_432737075773_733320773_5657088_4564845_n.jpg

30610_432737090773_733320773_5657089_723993_n.jpg

Interior is much like the other above photos.

30610_432737115773_733320773_5657091_5823339_n.jpg

The material is pleather and it's very flexible.

Some of you have seen my Mandalorians with a similar abdomen piece.

I've studied the proof shots of the Revan cgi pics and the pattern is very similar.

The awkward shapes appear as shadows but all the Revans look fantastic. :D

Guest Anonymous

Nearing completion on my Revan costume, just one little obstacle left to overcome, the silver hooks or whatever you would call it that attaches the caplelet to the armour, what kind of "hooks" should that be? Having a little trouble on finding good ones. Would any these do?

(1) http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Produc ... d=82524221

(2) http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Produc ... =161745039

I have an armour from Rob, so it's only those hooks that remain for me to acquire for a complete costume.

Guest Kur'amur

I've notice that you mentioned you got the armor from Rob. I was wondering how i could get in touch with him for help on my own armor or if he'd be willing to make a set for me? Thanks for the help and pics look great!!

Tandy Leather has some good hooks. They require minimal changes on the armor from Rob to add on. The only next level you might look to do is actually attach the hooks to the capelet and make it look nice/make it easy to install when dressing. Dressing for this costume solo can be tricky but it can be done if you make the right mods.