• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

What's the best why to start Mara?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all. So I'm pretty new to costuming and prop making, but I'm bound and determined to make a fantastic Mara Jade costume before C6 next year. I've been reading through the tutorials here and on Twi'lek Pam's costume site. I'm trying to figure out the best way to start since my costuming budget and experience is really low at the moment. I can slowly start to collect my materials, especially the practice ones.

Also, I was wondering what the best material for the shin guards might be to work with for a beginner: styrene, fiberglass, resin, something else? Do they go around the whole leg, or just the front? Haven't been able to determine that in my reading, lol.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions :)

Guest Daritha

Well then, welcome to the Flagship. :)

I think, you'll be doing fine here. A personal tip: Start with somethin easy, so you have a feeling of success relatively early. Like, doing a simple thing like the cowl for the start. It helps you with sewing if you don't know about it - and when you make a mistake, the material costs aren't that high in replacing the cowl. When it comes to Mara's jumpsuit ... that a whole other thing and should take the most of your time; so take little steps, make a plan what you will accomplish in time.

Remember: You have time (>1 year), you have resources (us) and you need patience.

And now, I relate to the real experts on "the Jade". *g*

Welcome to the threads! I just recently completed my own Mara Jade.

The places to look for supplies would be for cowl and/or cape fabric I would look at any local fabric store, what I used for mine was the raw silk and then dyed it, but that is more on the pricey side.

For the bodysuit I don't think you want to skimp on that one so I would suggest either the shiny stuff everyone has or the matte stuff I purchased or you may get really lucky at finding something in a store. Just make sure that it is a 4-way stretch and not bathing suit material.

The leather for the belt and harness can be purchased from any leather working store, the place a lot of us use is online and has some brick and mortar places around the states called Tandy Leather.

For the harness back plate and cloak clasp they can be made easily enough with creating a mold and casting the pieces in Resin.

Boats I would look in clearance sections to see if there are any left or try online if you don't mind buying shoes there.

For the gun, it will depend on which style you prefer. You can either make your own with wood or plastic pieces, buy a Hasbro Hand Solo blaster and modify it, buy an air-soft and modify it or some people sell the assassin style one fully made.

For the shin guards, you can either make them yourself from scratch or buy a set of swat shin guards and modify them. Depending on what look you are going for depends on if they go all the way around your leg. For the Shannon shoot it is the modified swat gear and doesn't go all the way around, but for some of the comic book looks it does.

My suggestion if you haven't already is take a look at other people build threads because there are so many brilliant ideas out there that people have utilized along the way to completing there Mara's.

Guest Anonymous

While I know the jumpsuit is going to take a good portion of my time, I'm a fair hand at sewing already. Perfect, clean seams still escape me, but I will have that down soon. I'm saving the jump suit for now in hopes of slimming down a bit.

Is there any molding advice for the shin guards, like the best materials to use? My concept idea comes more from the comics and I want to take a crack at making them myself.

Thanks for the advice so far especially for the blasters!