• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Here we go- my Mara to date

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Woo hoo! I found an image! Here I am in the most current work of my Mara costume.

My fiancee created a caption for this, from the perspective of the poor scruffed up trooper on the side:

"Why do bounty hunters get all the chicks?!"

IMG_5057.jpg

Guest Anonymous

And another of me w/Pam.

I'm so horrible. I was wearing my watch... and I didn't edit out my glaring red-eye either, but it's a good pic. You can see the piping a little better in this one.

IMG_5109.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! I took apart my belt over the summer and got new leather for it and the harness. I'm finally happy with the color, but it's still in pieces. I'll have to touch up the stain on my belt to match, but it will better overall.

I'm going to remake my buckle out of aluminum sheeting. I had a fun time making a Navy Officer's buckle from it and was happy with the result, so I'm going to use the same process here. The current one is sintra plastic. So's the clasp, but I'm happy with how the clasp turned out, so it's staying as is for now.

Still making up my mind on the harness backing, but at least I have the leather now!

The jumpsuit is I think the third version I've done, and the cape is version 2.1.

My boots were a lucky find. They are an old pair of La Canadiennes, mostly flat soled with a small heel, and water/ snow-proof leather. (Thank you, Canada!) Even my non geeky friends have called them my "space boots." :wink: They're also fairly comfortable.

And you can blame my father for the hair! He and my grandfather both have flaming copper hair. I know the messiness comes from them too, but I can't complain too much! :P

Guest Daritha

Look at my Starkiller in the signature. I don't know ANYthing about hairstyling. No experience. ;)

Btw. How's your Mara going? Any great advances?

Guest Anonymous

Grad school is getting in the way! grr!

But, I have remade my buckle. I kept my eye out at our neighborhood hardware store and found the perfect piece of aluminum.

I took my old buckle, traced a template on graphing paper, and used that to cut out an adequate blank from the sheeting. Some fine grain sanding and water treatment later, and a new buckle is born!

I'll need to get a more supple piece of leather to make a slide for it to go around my belt. I could water treat scraps from my harness, but I really don't want to if I don't have to. :P

I also drew out templates for the back harness. I might make a layered sintra mock up to see how it performs, and smooth down the sides with a dremel. What I want to do is be able to have the straps connect IN the backplate rather on D rings (or similar) that are attached to the plate. Try to make it look like the comic design. If I create a base layer, a ring that's open where the straps to slip in, and a top layer that the molded piece can sit on, then hold the leather with glued and pins. At least, that's my goal. lol- I'm bad at vacuforming, but really good with a sander!

I also acquired a good (and surprisingly soft) length of fabric for the cream cowl. There should be enough for me to make cream gloves too, but that's a later project hope. (One thing at a time, one thing at a time!!)

Now if only I could find my SD reader. I think I'm just going to cop to it, declare it MIA and buy a new one so I can upload pictures. Show some stuff off.