• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan Mask Question

Guest Crixe

Guest Crixe

I'm sure it's been asked a million times but I've read over the http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_revan and it is pretty wishy washy about the back of the mask then I found this online it's from SWTOR so techically my question is would this be considered okay for usage in a costume I'd like to make it work just like in the game (front face pulls off to show the face) but I want it to be a full helmet with the mask as how you remove it. j7b1ur.jpg

So as you can see it gives a rather detailed full view this was an item sold in the player shop didn't come with a hood (really annoyed me) but it gave a look at Revan's mask that hadn't been shown before so I'd like to duplicate it fully but make it function as it did in the game. So the question is. Would this be up to approval level if I did it this way??

The question I believe we'd need to raise is to whether or not it would be approved for the Knights of the Old Republic version of Revan.

While there can be some argument that the mask is the same, the armor most certainly is depicted differently, (even though I'd technically argue that it should be the same buuut... Bioware).

I believe it'd deserve some discussion between the DL, the LMO, myself and probably some of our other Revan experts for further clarification as to what we should do to proceed with perhaps even distinguishing the two costumes as we do have a member who has a SWTOR Revan approved for the Rebel Legion and the discussion of approving it for the 501st needs to probably also happen.

Now... Is anything going to stop you from wearing that at a troop with your local folks? Talk to your local folks. :) I'm sure they wouldn't mind, assuming the costume piece in question was to our quality standards on the whole.

If you want my initial response regarding Kotor Revan I'd say that we never see Revan with his hood off in the game and as such, you'd never have your chance to really show it.

In the video reveal for the mask: (spoiler alert)

darthrevanumaskeing.jpg

There's actually no indication that the mask wraps around the head, as the sides of the character's head are visible.

Also as seen in the video here:

We see that Revan actually has a bare spot from his neckline up under that hood (no balaclava!!!!!) and in fact some bolt marks maybe where the thing attaches to his face?.? (What's up with that?)

So now with that in mind, despite what your character item is displaying (which, thank you very much for sharing). I now for the sake of discussion raise the question as to when, if ever, Revan is seen wearing that particular wrap-around, and not a player-character? Because due to our requirements for costuming, we don't allow the player-characters to be represented in the 501st, only actual NPCs.

I very much want to get some more input for an 'official' answer for costuming, particularly from Thomas and perhaps the LMOs as well.

One way or the other though, I think if you WANT to craft that, that you should, because it looks really awesome and you shouldn't let our approval process prevent you from making something that you want to.

I'll be linking this to our other leaders to get some more input. Thank you again for sharing.

Guest Crixe

I didn't realize the whole part about it being required to be NPC, I'm not sure if that would qualify because it's an item sold as "Revan's Mask" or "Revan's Armor" I'd have to dig on that one again as it's been awhile since I played SWTOR (was one of the closed beta testers, please don't hate me for how the game turned out). But given that it's an asset and not being that Revan is long dead after SWTOR timeline wise. Wouldn't be possible for him to have been shown wearing it butttt if you look at the shop item it shows him in full gear hood/mast/armor and all for the enticement to buy it. I guess in the end it really comes down to I could make two version, but if I could combine them and make it all approved I'd prefer that. *cause lets face it that would be pretty cool to pull down a hood and show that off before taking off the mask :helmet: Would be like something from watching Vader taking his helmet off. The bolts part I think that's a cool aset though too weird as it is.

It's a technicality. For example, if you made an NPC that wears a full set of Tionese gear, you could be approved as that character, but if my character is in a full set of Tionese gear, I can't be approved as Darth Tagion.

I've already linked Thomas our Detachment Leader to this thread, and if he thinks we should, we may get the LMO on board for this discussion as well. I'm all for finding some sort of technicality or way to link the pieces together as an option for the costume to be approved for that, we just need to find what it might be, if one exists.

Amidala is our member in question with the costume and to my knowledge the only person who has done it. She even went so far as to do the make-up for it which I think is great. I've debated doing it myself/growing the facial hair a little to make it work.

Her thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2706

As a LCJ for the Rebel Legion we have come to the conclusion in the Rebel Legion that SWTOR Revan Mask is completely different to the mask you see in KOTOR

If you see the pattern of the mask colors are completely different..

kotor Mask

RevanMask.jpg

SWTOR mask

SWTOR_Revan_02_Fabrik.jpg

Revan Novel Mask

revan-banner-675x290.jpg

so in the RL the two mask accepted as RL members are SWTOR mask and the Novel Mask.

and making KOTOR mask the only not acceoted in the Legion

does this means the 501st wont accept the other mask ? ofcourse not thats up to the LMO and the 501st

do you see Revan being a sith using the other two masks? no you dont ... not yet

so will the mask from SWTOR be a canon sith mask ? well its a matter of opinions but in mine is not

that mask is used when Revan is no longer a sith or a jedi .. he is better :P he is Revan

but Brendon is 100% correct .. in his first post . the only thing that will stop you from wearing that mask in a troop is your on garrison .. so speak to them see what they think

But he's certainly not "Good" in SWTOR, so especially with the new DS designation, I'd argue we could still take him as either a DS or an SL for SWTOR, buuut no one with the costume has made that pitch.

Guest Crixe

Well then after reading over the two I think I have an understanding given the version of Revan that I'm doing that I need to do for the costume. I've just to to fix the sculpt I messed up then I should be on track.