• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

What could use upgrading on the MyWickedArmor armor?

Guest Kilryth

Guest Kilryth

I received my MyWickedArmor armor in the other day, which I know the majority of you are familiar with. What do you all think could benefit from upgrading on the armor? Please list any sources or names of replacement parts also.

Some things I'm planning on upgrading are:

1) All the Rings and how they attach to the armor. This includes those at the waist, the 4 at the chest, the 4 on the belt straps, and the big central ring if possible. I am planning on replacing them with all solid, metal rings of the proper proportions. Having trouble finding a Big Ring that is accurate in size and shape. Also having trouble determining the way they attach to the armor.

2) The belt greeblies. These certainly do the job, but I'd like to build this out of separate pieces of metal and leather. I haven't started looking for things to replace these with yet.

3) The attachment methods. Could use some suggestions on how to better attach the armor, vambraces, and handguards. Though functional, I don't trust velcro and its adhesive. I prefer sturdier connections, such as snaps, rivets, nylon, elastic, and buckles.

4) The shape. I'd like to take a hair dryer to this to help mold this to my body a bit more, but I am concerned that the paint may or may not hold up (may crack?). Anyone have experience with this? I figured a heatgun would be overkill on the paint.

5) A matte clearcoat on top of the black parts of the armor. Has anyone tried this with good success on his paint?

Please, let's compile our resources to upgrade this very popular armor to look even better. :)

I've logged 30+ troops and had no problems with the velcro. Some of the hot glue has been a major problem. Redo with epoxy.

I used a heat gun and molded the chest to better fit me, you'll be fine but wear a thick shirt to be safe, it'll be flippin toasty.

Check out DarthBrute's post about his WIP for better ideas on some of the other tweaks to do, in particular the rings and capelet.

Otherwise you're on point.

I suggest sewing in velcro for the red sash, and a few other spots. Hand loop stitches worked just fine.

As for the big o ring, if you find a nice replacement cool, but I wouldn't sweat that one much.

For the little rings, drapery rings.

Guest Kilryth

Fantastic! Thank you sir! I remember seeing something about the clasps/loops but couldn't remember where. I'll purchase a cheap heat gun then. My hairdryer took FOREVER trying to mold ABS plastic gauntlets on my Mando. :)

Thanks for the tip on the hotglue! Is it something I should probably do before the first few troops in Fall/Winter, or do you think it would be okay until Summer rolls around again? I ask because I don't want the glue to rub off onto anything... but it's something I planned on leaving as an "upgrade" after I finished everything.

I noticed something else about the belts that I'll make a new post on. This belt thing effects more than MyWickedArmor customers.

Fantastic! Thank you sir! I remember seeing something about the clasps/loops but couldn't remember where. I'll purchase a cheap heat gun then. My hairdryer took FOREVER trying to mold ABS plastic gauntlets on my Mando. :)

Thanks for the tip on the hotglue! Is it something I should probably do before the first few troops in Fall/Winter, or do you think it would be okay until Summer rolls around again? I ask because I don't want the glue to rub off onto anything... but it's something I planned on leaving as an "upgrade" after I finished everything.

I noticed something else about the belts that I'll make a new post on. This belt thing effects more than MyWickedArmor customers.

Hot glue is probably fine till spring, I did fall-winter for most and have spent most of the summer being glad I had my officer as a backup.

Edit: Also be sure you get the velcro in the hood low enough. I had to sew my own new one in and I cut the old one out so handlers wouldn't grab the wrong one. I've seen a lot of folks (even some of my own old photos) wear the hood too far back and not low enough on the mask. Make sure you fit it right and if you want the velcro at the top of the mask (so it's mostly out of sight when not on) you'll want to make sure you adjust the velcro correctly.