• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sewing Patterns for Revan?

Guest Kilryth

Guest Kilryth

Has anyone found any good sewing patterns that can be modified for use with Darth Revan? I haven't looked seriously, but I'm sure there's some similar capes, hoods, and hakamas out there. Would anyone mind sharing what they've found?

I know a lot of Revans hire seamstresses to design the pattern, and I know a lot of folks just 'wing it'. These both work good, but I'm hoping to get my hands on a pattern that I can modify to my liking.

Thank you!

I found this tutorial for hakama one day when I was doing some research. It has a lot more detail about historical hakama than you'll probably care about for the purposes of doing a Revan costume, but I found it was a helpful starting point just to get the creative juices flowing:

http://www.andsewingishalfthebattle.com/how-to-make-historically-accurate-hakama

I think the easiest thing to do as far as the hakama go is to buy a pair of pre-existing black ones. A lot of people just do that. However, if you're a nitpick like me and don't want to mix your blacks, using the same fabric for everything will make it necessary for you to make your own.

As for the cape/capelet, you might want to get some inexpensive muslin and play around and find what works for you. The advantage to the cape is that it hangs straight down the back, and doesn't wrap around, so that makes the shape less complicated and easy to pleat.

Hope this helps a little bit. :)

Guest Kilryth

I think the easiest thing to do as far as the hakama go is to buy a pair of pre-existing black ones. A lot of people just do that. However, if you're a nitpick like me and don't want to mix your blacks, using the same fabric for everything will make it necessary for you to make your own.

As for the cape/capelet, you might want to get some inexpensive muslin and play around and find what works for you. The advantage to the cape is that it hangs straight down the back, and doesn't wrap around, so that makes the shape less complicated and easy to pleat.

Thanks for the links and suggestion! I may grab some cheap fabric to play around with. I'd like to make my own hakama so that it matches everything. My biggest question with the Hakama is "What type of pleat is that?". :)

I would like to make the cape wrap around just a little bit (an inch or two) to give it a fuller appearance on the shoulders.

I plan on using the hood pattern from the Padawan's Guide Jedi Robe, but I may make some alterations (smaller size, maybe some shape to help it stand up in the front).

Thanks for the links and suggestion! I may grab some cheap fabric to play around with. I'd like to make my own hakama so that it matches everything. My biggest question with the Hakama is "What type of pleat is that?". :)

I would like to make the cape wrap around just a little bit (an inch or two) to give it a fuller appearance on the shoulders.

I plan on using the hood pattern from the Padawan's Guide Jedi Robe, but I may make some alterations (smaller size, maybe some shape to help it stand up in the front).

No problem. Hakama pleats are just your standard box pleat.

Just remember the CRL says that the cape hangs straight down the back. The capelet creates the drape effect over the shoulders. Constantly reference images and the CRL when you're brainstorming.

I'm just drafting the hood myself, mostly because I want it to lay a certain way. Just be careful using Jedi hoods because some of them are peaked and Revan's isn't. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. :)

Guest Kilryth

All great points. I will keep the cape flat then, i forgot the crl said that. :)

The hakama must just have a top stitch and loosely pleated if its a box.

All great points. I will keep the cape flat then, i forgot the crl said that. :)

Haha, sometimes the creative juices flow so freely we need to remind ourselves what we're actually trying to do. XD

I guess you can topstitch it, but I was always under the impression a box pleat just referred to the shape of the pleat, which is rectangular in the case of both the hakama/skirt and the cape. I am also admittedly a sewing noob, so feel free to correct my terminology. Lol.

Guest Kilryth

Haha, sometimes the creative juices flow so freely we need to remind ourselves what we're actually trying to do. XD

I guess you can topstitch it, but I was always under the impression a box pleat just referred to the shape of the pleat, which is rectangular in the case of both the hakama/skirt and the cape. I am also admittedly a sewing noob, so feel free to correct my terminology. Lol.

Yeah, the box pleat is just referring to the shape of the pleat, but there are a few ways to do it. Topstitching, Edgestitching, and Ironing all give the pleat a difference appearance. For example, the Cape and Hakama are both box pleated in the in-game models... but the cape appears to have the pleats gathered together tightly (and loosely spreading apart as it goes down the cape). The Hakama pleats appear to be more loose down the entire length. Please excuse any newb terminology lol

Some people stitch the pleats in place in the cape so they don't have to iron it all the time. You're right about the hakama though, it is looser so you can get away with not having the creases as sharp. It's just a preference thing, I think. The only requirement is that there need to be pleats and they need to be box-shaped. Lol.

If there is a way to stop ironing your Revan before and after a troop do let me know lol

I think I saw someone here was stitching their pleats down so they didn't have to do any ironing anymore. XD

Guest Kilryth
If there is a way to stop ironing your Revan before and after a troop do let me know lol

I think I saw someone here was stitching their pleats down so they didn't have to do any ironing anymore. XD

I'm doing that but haven't started.