• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Kilryth's Darth Revan WIP

Guest Kilryth

Guest Kilryth

I thought I would start a WIP thread to compile all my other posts and keep from making more threads. :)

I now have my armor from Robert and mask from Brian. They both did great work!! I'm planning on making a few upgrades to the armor, such as changing out all the rings, the belts, and the attachment methods. The mask is a little too tight, so I'll be replacing the elastic with a longer piece for a more comfortable fit.

Update: Still trying to decide what to do about the large belt ring: give up and use the resin one I have, Sandcast one, have one machined, or use a dremel to cut sheetmetal. Leaning towards Sandcasting or having one machined. I looked for Fabric patterns, but couldn't find any that would be really useful. The best patterns for this seem to be simple photos and tutorials found online on other Star Wars pages, and basic pleating tutorials. Looks like I'll be winging it.

Update: I bought some lightweight Merino Wool socks, which should help my feet from getting too hot and sweaty in those leather boots. I have decided to use a belt to hold the waist rings, rather than attaching it to the armor directly. I'm going to fix some belt loops on the inside of the armor, so that I can feed the belt thru it... or I may glue the belt directly to the inside of the armor. I will then hang the waist loops from the belt itself.

I have decided to choose and sew my own fabrics, using Darth Maul's costume fabrics & patterns as a real-life reference. I ordered a bunch of Silk Noil with heavy Silk Charmeuse for sashes. These are both breathable, drape well, machine washable (cold & gentle), and provide a good look (in my opinion) for Revan. I may double-up the fabric in certain areas. ThaiSilks.com has more expensive prices than DharmaTrading, but they have competitive pricing with their wholesale. Just send them an email asking about wholesale pricing, and mention Dharma's prices. I received a better quality material for roughly the same cost.

Here are my Custom Darth Revan saber hilts from Wesley:

revans_zps576b7617.jpg

They're pricey, but suprisingly cheaper than the local machine shops. After receiving them, I've decided that the craftsmanship and attention to detail is well worth the asking price. I couldn't be happier!! Highly recommend!! Still deciding where to Tap and add the On/off Power knob, since there's no reference images for this.

Here are my Merrell Black Shiver Boots. The actual boot is a dark black and much darker than the photo. They are extremely comfortable, like all Merrell's I've owned.

MerrellShiver1_zps42d4c2cc.jpg

Here are my Black goatskin leather gloves that are very thin, comfortable, and slightly vented for the Florida heat. The vents aren't noticeable in the actual product.

gstmsum1_zps4d918e05.jpg

Here is my lightweight Balaclava, which is amazing!! It's so thin, light, and breathable! I'm quite pleased with it.

balaclava_zps9ce6dec4.jpg

Here is my longsleeve Mock neck shirt: weighing in lighter than many (5.7 oz/yd), 100% cotton, and a pretty high collar. It's a great fit - not too baggy, not too tight. I would definitely order a size larger than recommended by the sizing chart though. It fits a little snug if following the chart, but Revan's shirt appears to be slightly loose.

shirt_zps39de2b47.jpg

I received my loops, rings, etc. to add to my Revan belts, waistline, and chestpiece:

LoopsRingsSnaps_zps4b30f360.jpg

I'm currently fitting the armor and replacing small parts on my armor. Then comes the biggest task: finding accurate patterns for sewing the hood, shoulder capelet, cape, and sashes.

I will be posting my WIP photos here, including references and additional photos that I don't link in the forum: http://s782.photobucket.com/user/Kilryth/library/Darth%20Revan

Guest Kilryth
Love the saber, can they be bladed as well?

Yeah, Wes did a great job with them! I spoke with a guy at fx-sabers.com that has one and bladed it himself with a luxeon. He said he loves it and it's worth every penny. They're available pre-bladed too I believe, but I was having a hard enough time spending the money on two hilts lol. I'll get them bladed eventually. :)

There's a guy in South America that sells a similar hilt with a metal chassis for the blade for a little cheaper and without the weathering, knob, and covertech clip. He never responded to my emails though.

Guest Kilryth

Updated the main post with my most recent orders: the balaclava, shirt, and gloves. I have decided on the fabric (thank you Aysel) after ordering many many many samples from various sites. Now I just need to determine the pattern.

If anyone has any Darth Revan costume patterns (and can show me a pic of the finished result), it would provide me with a great starting point! Otherwise I'll plan on holding the fabric up to me and leaving plenty of excess as I go. That worked ok for my Sith Robe... but pleats can complicate things. :)

Guest Kilryth

I updated the main post with my most recent updates and purchases. I'm trying to gather all my materials before beginning work, so that I have plenty of time to plan and catch any mistakes before they happen. :)

I decided to go with a Matte Nickel finish on the rings and hardware, so I purchased these from Buckleguy. He also offers them in a Nickel Plated (more shiny) finish, but my kit is somewhat weathered and I believe this is more suitable for it.

LoopsRingsSnaps_zps4b30f360.jpg

I currently have this belt from MyWickedArmor, but I'm planning on constructing my own belt.

SL_revan_belt.jpg

I am going to use a wider belt strap, real leather, the rings I purchased above, and probably a new big O-ring. The O-ring that came with it will certainly suffice, but I'd like a metal one that goes with my other rings.

Update: After looking into it some, the local machine shop can cut a simple ring out of a steel plate for $75 for one, or $40 each for 10. I'm requesting quotes on Aluminum, Brass, and a more detailed ring.

Good luck with your build......I love the top photos...the balaclava was it a good price? and may I ask where you got your shirt?

Thank you!!

The shirt is a Rothco Black Mock Turtleneck shirt, runs around $16 with free shipping on Amazon. I'd order a size larger than what it recommends, if you want a little extra bagginess. It is fitted well and would make an excellent undershirt. I spent a lot of time looking at a dozen or so similar shirts, but this ended up being the best choice for me (lycra neck and wrists, slightly loose arms, right collar height, 100% cotton, and a t-shirt weight material). The only thing that'd make it better were if it was made out of Smartwool's lightweight merino wool. :)

The balaclava is perfect!! I'm ordering a second one for my wife's Jawa costume. It's very flexible, slightly stretchy, thin and cool, and a matte black that is just thick enough to not be transparent. It's a Schampa Silkweight Deluxe Balaclava, also available on Amazon for $18 or so. My friend has an Under Armour one and likes this one a lot better.

Edit: I just noticed that you're the same MJ I've been talking to about the Jawa costume, lol. You've been a big help. :)

Thank you ...yep it's me,

I'm working on a Darth Traya.....and I'm the one asking heaps of questions.

I do make my own balaclavas but I love the stretchy one. I will look into the top, it's a good price. You said you got a size up. Would the correct size fit you. I have found there is so many differ from sizing.

Thank you ...yep it's me,

I'm working on a Darth Traya.....and I'm the one asking heaps of questions.

I do make my own balaclavas but I love the stretchy one. I will look into the top, it's a good price. You said you got a size up. Would the correct size fit you. I have found there is so many differ from sizing.

I ordered the correct size (I'm a 39" chest, ordered a 38-40 size, which is a Medium). I normally wear Mediums in shirts for a fitted look. This shirt fit... but it was quite a snug fit. I lifted my arms 90 degrees, and the shirt rose with it. I ordered a large after that, and it fit like a Medium would normally fit me. These shirts are sized to go underneath uniforms (police/security uniforms) as long sleeve undershirts.

Great thread! your WIP is very helpful. I have been pouring over the various threads trying to figure out how to make this costume from scratch. It would be very nice is McCall or Simplicity came out with a Darth Revan pattern :) What made you decide on the Silk Noil and is there a particular stock # that you would recommend. I'll have to go look at the Darth Maul patter you referenced in one of your posts. I was leaning towards this Red Riding-hood hood pattern: http://www.fleecefun.com/red-riding-hoo ... ttern.html. Your shtuff looks good; please keep posting updates and pics.

Hey Kilryth, how much silk did you order? I'm getting to that point... probably this week. And you ordered it from Thai Silks?

In a previous message he and I had he said he ordered 18 yards of silk which was excess of what he needed from Thai Silks.

Guest Kilryth

I ended up selling my Darth Revan kit in lieu of building a Stormtrooper. You should be seeing my kit pop up from Brandon out of Detroit, MI. He loves Revan. Here's a full list of parts that I was using:

Buckleman Matte Brushed Nickel - clasps, rings, loops, etc.

1.5" wide, 1/8" thick black leather for belts

Black Silk Noil from Thai Silks (you can get a wholesale price equal to Dharma's, but the fabric has less nubbiness)

Black Charmeuse from Dharma Trading (same stuff as Thai Silks, but cheaper)

Burgundy Charmeuse from Thai Silks (pricey but very nice for the drape)

Deluxe Silkweight Balaclava from Schampa

Rothco black Mockneck Turtleneck

Merrell Shiver boots

Tourmaster goatskin leather summer gloves

I still have the gloves (small), boots (7.5), and shirt (large) if anyone is looking to buy.