• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Im sure youve heard this before... WHERE DO I START!!!?? lol

Guest jimsidious

Guest jimsidious

Hello from the great north west.... home of Endor!!! (im so proud of that, and even more so that Ive been there!!! :D )

I know youve heard the cry before "where do I start?" but seriously, I want to do the "starkiller" red and black, my idea is to pick a starting point a run, so I want to start with what I believe will be the toughest the armor piece, Ive poked around a bunch of threads and I see a lot of the same thing.... people make their own or have a friend that has the piece and they cast off it.... well I am certainly no sculpter nor do I have a friend that owns this piece... and honestly even if I did I wouldnt know what to do to cast of it?? so I ask this.... WHERE DO I START!!?? lol

I look forward to any and all help I can get in making this happen thank you in advance.

First off Welcome to The Flagship :D

Second there are a lot of great people on here that can help you with your problem. One method I've seen done on here with other Starkiller costumes and elsewhere is to take poster board and cut out a template of what you are trying to make and then use fiberglass and bondo to cover each piece. Just a little friendly advice.

If you have not already, I also suggest getting to know your local 501st Garrison/Squad. They will be your "friend" in some cases and can help you avoid needing to reinvent the wheel in some places. Start by getting to know them on their message boards if you haven't already.

As for stuff here, there's a handful of people with the costume you're describing, and they've been through the process just like you. I can say one of the comments for this particular costume that has stuck out to me, in regards to the armor, is that it should look "mandalorian" and by that they mean that the armor should have a little depth to the appearance and it should look sturdy. Keeping that in mind might help you when you go to making your stuff.

I'm sure some templates are out there, if not perhaps some folks have them sitting on a hard drive somewhere. Then the key thing will be sizing your stuff to fit you personally.

Guest jimsidious

Thank you both for your replies and welcomings, so you say poster board and fiberglass and bondo?? what exactly is the process?? sorry if I sound... DUH.... lol but honestly I havent the foggiest although I am fairly mechanically inclined so Im sure as soon as I see what to do Ill be like "OHHHH".

I do know my fellow 501st, their awesome and actually I was pointed in this direction by Aysel, Im gunna start picking their brains too :wink: Im hoping a local can take me on as an apprentice and show me the ways of DIY costuming It would be sooo awesome and very fulfilling to say yep I made that! I look forward to finishing this costume and starting on some thing else. I do have a PM floating out there just waiting for a reply, Im uber excited to start this.

Thanks again for your replies guys, it helps knowing people are listening and helpful

Here is a link to the to the topic that got me started. I know it's a different costume but it can work with just about anything. I'm actually using it for some custom pieces to a clone costume I'm working on.

Hope this helps you on your quest and be sure to post updated pics of your progress

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1082