• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

What did YOU do for pants and boots?

Guest Sol

So hakama aside, what did you guys do for pants for your Revan? I've been trying to decide on what would be the best route to take for something to wear beneath the hakama and tuck into the boots. It won't be seen, so I didn't know if I needed to go for specific material or if that would be left up to my own discretion. Thoughts?

Also, on the reference pics for his boots they show some fairly tall boots--is that height required to meet CRLs? Or could I get away with wearing a sshorter boot that met the listed CRL requirements?

Thanks in advance for the advice/comments!

Most of the folks I've talked to wore underarmor or something similar under their hakama, to match the tight fitting look of the reference images. Since the hakama covers the top of the boots there is no EXACT height that they need to be, but I can say that short boots would not be acceptable. Clothing moves as we do, wind flutters the fabric, and Revan's not supposed to show off his sexy ankles as he's moving about.

Reference image:

normal_WebRevanSide2.jpg

CRL image:

150px-Generic-black-boots.jpeg

Pam :-)

I was really looking forward to the sexy ankles, too =/

Thanks, though. That's a big help. Pants and boots are some of the last things I need to get rounded up before I'm ready to start snapping pictures.

Another question I wanted to throw out there is: What did you guys do for the horizontal piping across the chest of his shirt? Did you sew in a premade piping (if so, where would you recommend I look for some--I'm assuming just a local craft store like Jo-Ann's) or go from scratch (if so, what steps did you take to make it?)

This may just be me personally, but I wear black dress slacks. Mainly because I want to be comfortable. Plus thee are no pockets otherwise (I feel naked without my wallet). As for boots mine come up half way up my calf.

Here's a trick for application of the piping that lets you add the line to a pre-made shirt without having to add a seam there. First, put on the shirt and armor and figure out where the line needs to go. Chalk it in, or mark with safety pins so you'll know where the line goes after taking off the shirt. Fold the fabric on that line, and stick a length of piping cord in the fold. (Piping cord goes on the back side of the fabric.) Pin the fabric close against the cord, or use a washable/removable fabric tack glue or tape to hold it in place while you sew. Use a foot on the sewing machine that lets you get in close against the piping, and sew a line close along the cord. Finish the edges, and you've got a piped line along the front of the shirt.

Granted, that's the quick and dirty way to do it. It's more professional to sew a line of actual piping into the shirt, but since the edges are hidden behind the cape and it's not a major detail, I'd be just as content with the easy way.

You can get the fabric cording, or premade piping at most stores that sell sewing supplies.

Pam :-)