So I know I gotta fix the gloves, that's this coming weekends task cause I'm angry at them currently, I'll unpick them and then leave them be, I did pattern out the top piece and cut that and serged those edges so it'll be a quick fold over and topstitch thing once I'm not so peeved off at them.
Anyway my pants. From my original test pant, I took off 1/2 in when cutting them, I should have taken off more, in total I believe I sewed the ankle at 1/2in and then tapered the rest in total up to an inch at least in the middle and I think just over 1/2in at the crotch *shrugs* you can take away can't add back. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, I want this to be super detailed to help other people.
First thing I did was put my pockets in, I put the facing and the pocket bag in, understitched the facing, and then attached the outside seams together, you'll see my back is longer than my front, this is when I made the pattern I neglected to make sure it was "true" or that it lined up all the way, it's not a big deal they're already too long I just nipped that off easy peasy. Yes, I know there is dog hair, and my hair, and cat hair on these can't care right now XD.
Next up are the stripes, to do this I cut a strip of my red fabric about 2in wide and the width of the fabric (so I think 50in long) longer than I needed by a lot but eh, there are worse issues to need. Next: you can mark 1/2in on each side and iron it down or you can go to Amazon and look up 'bias tape maker 25mm' because most of these are made outside the US they're in mm instead of inches. 25mm happens to be just under an inch. But when you press the fabric, you get 1in.
Now it says to cut strips on the bias of your fabric, I think that's a horrible idea given where it's going, now if you were edging something or making piping yes use the bias but here, I'd not suggest it. Mine said that when you start it to use an awl and shove the fabric through, I'm not sure what awl they have but mine was too fat, so I used a large hand needle instead.
Cut off your selvage edge too, it tends to get jammed.
Now thread your fabric through, and iron it up. When you iron it from the back, you'll want to let it cool and iron it again from the front.
I then pinned my strips onto my pants with the center of the strip hitting as close to my seam line as possible. I also put my pins verticle because if this fabric grew on me, I wanted it to move and not pucker.
Have you wanted a little helper then get an edge stitch foot. Trust me made straight lines on the edge super easy, I moved my needle in a couple spaces (I think from 0 to space 2 or 3 ((could also be -2 or -3)) and that made it perfect).
And sewn, I cut off the bulk of my excess strips and left it be for now. Next up: the knee patch. So for me I took my pants and pinned one leg together and put it on where I knew it'd sit later, I then lined up my outside seam where it should go (this is because i knew i'd be taking them in later). And marked up where my knee started and took some measurements: how long my kneecap was, and how wide.
I then drew up my piece and added 1/2in seam allowance. Note: I actually knocked another 1/2in off the bottom of this to make it look more like the references and not so even.
I used this it's called an "Easy hem" (and it's not wrong). It's made from metal but I would fold my fabric and take my iron press down the edge and slide out the hem tool before fully pressing (this is because my iron is quite possibly pocessed and makes some really crazy sounds whenever it hits metal).
All my edges pressed. I retest fit my pants and pinned the triangles to one leg and then mirrored it to the other leg.
Well that's a blurry photo, and I finished that step so I can't retake, but you get the idea.
So because I'm that level of crazy I decided to satin stitch these on. First I sewed them on with a straight stitch so they'd be secure, then I found my machines satin stitch (which for a Bernina 560 it's stitch 1354 ((yes I had to google that))). And then: I sewed them on, If i were to do it again I'd put some kind of backing on the underside but since they pressed nice and flat I'm not worried about what you'll see below:
The bubbling and puckering bothered me but again: they pressed flat. it was my first time using this stitch so it's not perfect up close but I'm not mad at it.
The next part is kinda boring, I sewed up the inner leg seam (taking off that almost 1in I mentioned) and then sewed up the crotch. In my test pants I 1 had darts, 2 had a fly zipper. Well I didn't put the darts in these because I wasn't sure if they'd be needed since I'd reduced them and I figured I'd wait till the end and see if they were needed (you're not supposed to do that you're supposed to sew darts first but hey, if you're testing a pattern this may be good for you). Anyway when I tried them on I saw that 1 I could get in and out of them without a fly zipper and 2 the darts weren't gonna shape these pants better then anything else. So I said 'nevermind on that' and shoved elastic into my waistband and thus: my pants are done. Oh yeah, I hemmed the bottom but no one needs to see that, that's boring.
Let's pretend for 20 seconds I didn't take a bathroom mirror selfie, I'll take some better ones later.
Now this waistband: won't win me any prizes, I totally didn't put it on correctly, well I did... the side curves went with the sides I just mismatched them... but It fits, and no one will see it XD
Yup, and that's where I am currently.