• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sky's Revan Build [slated September 2013]

Ketchup

*Waves enthusiastically*

Hello everyone! I thought I'd start my build thread even though I'm probably a good month and a half out on my Revan project, just so I can bounce some ideas around. I've been lurking here for a while, looking at other builds and the 501st reference images and standards. Right now I have to finish my Commander Shepard costume (from Mass Effect 3) before Dragon*Con. Basically, when I'm not working on Shepard, I'm scheming Revan!

My vision for this project is to make a Revan costume that does justice to my love of the character. Every piece will be lovingly scratch-built (and probably yelled at) to 501st standards. Since I play a female Revan, and I wish to portray Lady Revan at unofficial 501st events and general BioWare events, I plan for my armor to be modular so I can switch out the front half of the canon cuirass to one that's more feminine. For this to be possible, my cuirass will be clamshell. I'm probably going to bother the TK guys at my garrison to help with that; as I understand, their armor is clamshell and they do a darn good job of hiding the seams.

Armor:

For the cuirass armor and the vembraces, I plan to use Worbla. It's a thermoplastic you can use to easily shape armor pieces when it's heated, and it cools and hardens into a nice hard shell. It's similar to a thermoplastic called Wonderflex, but it's stiffer and it can be used as a putty (no wasteful scraps, yay!). So the details on Revan's cuirass would be made out of the Worbla as well, because you can use it almost like clay. I might use apoxie sculpt for some finer details, too...it just depends on the kinds of issues I run into while I'm building. I decided on Worbla because it's rigid (thus conforming to 501st standards for the armored parts of the costume) and because I am using it on my Shepard costume and it has worked very well.

Now, for the female cuirass I haven't decided if I want to make it out of Worbla like the canon cuirass, or if I want to vac-form it. To me, it's much easier to sculpt a bust out of clay and then vac-form it than trying to get flat pieces of anything to try and conform to the compound curves involved. Since I will be doing the female cuirass after everything else, I have some time to decide on the exact game plan there. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Pants:

Shepard has taught me a lot about armor-making, so I'm not as concerned about the armored pieces as I am about everything else. I will admit, my mom's sewing machine scares me. Pleats scare me even more. XD Sewing is not something I'm as familiar with, but part of why I want to do Revan is because of the big, scary pleats. My plan for the hakama/trousers is to make them split trousers, since that's what they look like in the game model and because I think it would be easier to do than full hakama. If I'm wrong on this assumption, please let me know! I'd rather not do things the hard way if I don't have to. Lol.

Cloak/Hood/Capelet:

This is going to be the "fun" piece for me, being the sewing noob I am. Lol! My main question here is with the capelet. In the ref images, it looks gathered; on a lot of Revan builds I see, it's paneled. Would a gathered-looking capelet be acceptable? I'm pretty sure I can surreptitiously use glue and some thread to hold the gathers in place permanently.

I'm also curious as to what kind of fabric would be most appropriate for all the black cloth pieces.

Baclava:

I have an idea to effectively replace the baclava, and I was wondering if the 501st would find it acceptable. I find bodysuits help regulate my body temperature, so I was going to utilize one for this build since I imagine this costume can get very hot. You can get morph suits with a hood, and the eyes and nose are open, but the entire neck, ears and chin/mouth area are covered. I was planning on getting one of these to wear under the costume, and it would substitute the baclava. (I'm also going to order it so the hood is detachable.)

I have some doodles about my plans for the cuirass I will post later, since this is already way long and I can't seem to find the doodles themselves at the moment. XD Hopefully everyone will enjoy my documentation of this process and maybe it can help someone as well. Or help us both! I'm more than open to any suggestions or advice anyone here can give. Thank you all for bearing with the long post! :oops:

Here is why you might have an issue making pants work:

WebRevanSide2.jpg

You are not the first and probably won't be the last looking to do a gathered look versus the panels on the caplet. I would advise that if you can do it and make lit look nice, go for it, but it's going to be quite a bit of fabric to make look nice. Even with the sewn pieces like we have, if not worn correctly, they still can look like a bantha's rear. I've had a few photos I went "dang, I missed that, I wish someone told me" and worst of all, no one besides you is going to know what it needs to look like, no matter how many times you try to show/tell them.

To combat the issues with the soft parts you need to find ways to keep stuff in place while moving around, because trying to fix it yourself might frankly be impossible, and helpers who know what you really need fixed aren't always available.

There's a fabric thread up here near the top of the list where Aysel points out some fabric suggestions.

As for the body suit, I think it's safe to call the balaclava a highly-suggested recommendation. The idea being that your skin is covered.

When looking for approval it's going to be the details on the armor, everything lining up and all of the above.

As this is a scratch-build, I suggest going down to Amidala's thread in the Starkiller boards, she's done a great example with photoshop of laying the character over a picture of herself, it has resulted really well proportioned costumes, that might help to make sure all the details with Revan's chest piece proportion out right for you.

Here is why you might have an issue making pants work:

*Snip*

I am pretty much going to do that. Doing full pants seems like it would be much harder than a split-skirt type of thing! (I see I called them "split pants," I really meant "split skirt." Whoops. XD)

You are not the first and probably won't be the last looking to do a gathered look versus the panels on the caplet. I would advise that if you can do it and make lit look nice, go for it, but it's going to be quite a bit of fabric to make look nice. Even with the sewn pieces like we have, if not worn correctly, they still can look like a bantha's rear. I've had a few photos I went "dang, I missed that, I wish someone told me" and worst of all, no one besides you is going to know what it needs to look like, no matter how many times you try to show/tell them.

I can already tell this part is going to be a pain in the rear-end. It's nice you mentioned that not everyone is going to know how to fix the costume, I hadn't really thought about it but you're completely right. I've noticed there's only a handful of Revans around at any given time and I know I will be the only one in my garrison. Knowing that, I will try to get the capelet to attach to my shoulders with snaps, and not just at the top of the chest.

There's a fabric thread up here near the top of the list where Aysel points out some fabric suggestions.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. :)

As for the body suit, I think it's safe to call the balaclava a highly-suggested recommendation. The idea being that your skin is covered.

The hood on the body suit should cover everything that isn't covered by the mask, and only the eyes and nose are open. I found a pic to show you specifically what I'm looking at:

attrib-21-328.png

With this, I think I should still be able to achieve the same highly-desired effect of the baclava. I'm hoping the cotton lycra will be a cooler, more breathable alternative, since I've seen concerns about Revan being a hot costume to wear on a troop.

As this is a scratch-build, I suggest going down to Amidala's thread in the Starkiller boards, she's done a great example with photoshop of laying the character over a picture of herself, it has resulted really well proportioned costumes, that might help to make sure all the details with Revan's chest piece proportion out right for you.

Sweet! I will go there later today and check it out.

Thanks for all the info and advice! Let me know if you have anything more to add. Right now I'm still at the point of developing ideas, so anything and everything is open for change.

Plans for Dragon*Con fell through. :(

However, this means good things for Revan; I have decided to postpone my Shepard build because of it, and will be starting on Revan tomorrow! Shepard can wait for the next convention, but I want to start trooping with the awesome guys and gals of my garrison ASAP.

Patterning the armor will be the main activity for tomorrow, and I've ordered some supplies to make a cast of my face so I can start sculpting the mask. One of the guys in our garrison is sculpting a custom one I really like, so I may ask him for advice on that. WOOOO! I'm excited.

Edit: I decided I'm going to buy a pull of the mask the guy at our Garrison has made. (It's super awesome!) If he's cool with it I will post pictures when I get the kit.

i have the basic patterns for the armor if you need them. i also used worbla / foam and wonderflex... if you need i can try to post pix ( not really good on this technical box of a computer lol )

Oh neato! Yeah, I'd really appreciate that. It'll give me something to compare mine against. :D Thanks!

Edit: If you have the photos on your facebook, or on some other website where you can upload photos, you can right-click the photo and select "copy link/URL" and then paste it here, and put the BBCode tags url goes here[/ img] without any spaces. (I just put spaces so the BBCode didn't get confused and try to post an image that isn't there. Lol)

From Dragon**Con last weekend;

1235231_10151946373049623_1085488222_n.jpg

I thought for sure this beautiful Asian lady would be you. But she said she had not yet visited our boards. I thought you might appreciate the interpretation.

Be well,

Thomas

Hey Thomas!

That is someone I know, actually! We saw each other at SDCC in July and I got to see this beautiful costume up close and personal. She was so excited when I told her I was doing a Revan costume, too! We know each other through Mass Effect costuming (she does an awesome Tali'Zorah!).

Thank you for sharing this. :D

Edit: I showed her this post and it made her day.

That is a really nice interpretation, I'm curious about the material and how the chest armor is attached, how many pieces ect. It looks like it goes all the way around, and I would like to know how she gets it on.

That is a really nice interpretation, I'm curious about the material and how the chest armor is attached, how many pieces ect. It looks like it goes all the way around, and I would like to know how she gets it on.

My guess would be it is a corset type of piece that laces up in the back? But that is just a guess.

Guest ThresherMaw

Hello, I'm the girl in the above Revan armor.

I was told there were questions!

Instead of answering through SkySith, I can explain the build directly- for anyone wanting to know.

My guess would be it is a corset type of piece that laces up in the back? But that is just a guess.

It's just a breast plate (no back), with adjustable straps and snaps. The topmost set of straps work like a bra- going over the shoulders. The lowest set snaps onto the (lower) belt, looping through a back ring that holds the black leg-sashes. This back ring is almost level with the largest front silver ring.

There is a separate waist-belt, which also snaps in the back.

I cover that whole back mess with a black 'undercape' sort of thing- it hooks onto two O-rings I put in the shoulder straps, and hangs far enough down and around that you can't see past it.

The armor itself is simply craft foam. People at both SDCC and D*Con were guessing anywhere from leather to sintra, so I suppose all the paint layers worked to hide its foam-ness. It's shaped/reinforced with a wire frame on the inside. The raised/welded details were done with a small hot glue gun.

Soooo yeah. A budget build.

That is amazing for a budget build! I loved it when I saw it at SDCC! The mask is also amazing, did you make it as well?

I'm assuming the inspiration from it came from the picture that is my avatar? It looks very similar in design. I'm also working off of that for my fem build, once I get the male version done. :D

Guest ThresherMaw
That is amazing for a budget build! I loved it when I saw it at SDCC! The mask is also amazing, did you make it as well?

I'm assuming the inspiration from it came from the picture that is my avatar? It looks very similar in design. I'm also working off of that for my fem build, once I get the male version done. :D

Thank you! =]

Yes, the mask is part foam (again) and part Apoxie Sculpt at the 'mouthpiece'. It has a cradle-esque set of straps at the top to keep it on.

And that is the EXACT image I used. I cleared the artists' permissions first; they were actually thrilled! I mixed in elements of the canon armor, but the shape is- for the most part- based on that fanart.

Seriously looking forward to seeing yours and how you'll go about creating it. SDCC 14 maybe?

Thank you! =]

Yes, the mask is part foam (again) and part Apoxie Sculpt at the 'mouthpiece'. It has a cradle-esque set of straps at the top to keep it on.

And that is the EXACT image I used. I cleared the artists' permissions first; they were actually thrilled! I mixed in elements of the canon armor, but the shape is- for the most part- based on that fanart.

Seriously looking forward to seeing yours and how you'll go about creating it. SDCC 14 maybe?

I think I'm going to be missing SDCC in favor of D*Con next year, because I have to be at PAX East and two out of town cons are going to stretch my budget. I ended up spending too much to get to SDCC, and that's part of why I didn't go to D*Con this year as I had planned. But you go to D*Con every year, right? I'm sure you'll be able to see it. :D Hopefully I'll have the female version done by then, too!

Who is the artist, btw? I haven't been successful in finding her, but I want to base my Lady Revan on it, as well.

i have the basic patterns for the armor if you need them. i also used worbla / foam and wonderflex... if you need i can try to post pix ( not really good on this technical box of a computer lol )

Were you ever able to upload those patterns? I wouldn't mind seeing them as well. :D

Hey all!

Sky"is-terribad-at-taking-pictures"Sith just took some time to snap a photo of her new silk! Yay! :tkdance:

http://imageshack.com/i/0jvbxxj

On Kilryth's recommendation, I bought a ton of black silk noil from Thai Silks. That's the matte black stuff you see at the very end of the roll there. I'll take a better picture once I get everything unrolled and ready for soft parts construction. The burgundy charmeuse (also from Thai Silks) is obviously for the burgundy sash that hangs from the big O ring. The shiny black charmeuse (from Dharma Trading, to save some $$) is for the black sash that goes around the legs. I think the shiny black will make an excellent contrast against the matte raw silk for pictures and stuff. :D

It drapes BEAUTIFULLY. I can't wait to get started with this stuff.

Pictures of armor progress will be up soon...right now it's kind of a piled mess of Worbla, bondo, and scraps. XD I'm gonna get all the bondo sanded down at an armor party on the 23rd, so hopefully I'll have a lot to show after that!

In the meantime, here are some tidbits on what I've been working on...

Gloves!

I never can find gloves that fit my delicate mitts, so I decided to make my own. I used a technique a friend of mine uses for all her custom glove needs. :)

First, I traced my hand. (Actually, I had my mom trace my hand because I wanted to make sure the pen was straight up-and-down on the paper so there were no skinny parts on the fingers.) Then, I cut them out, about an eighth of an inch away from the lines. At first, the wrist was too narrow, and I felt the thumb was too tight, so we widened the wrist a bit and I moved my thumb out more on the second tracing to ensure there was enough room for maximum flexibility. (Version 2 is on the left, version 1 on the right.)

http://imageshack.com/i/n5fynzj

Then, I pinned the pattern on two layers of 4-way stretch lycra, good sides facing in, of course. We sewed around the pattern (make sure you use a small, skinny zigzag stitch when using fabric this stretchy!), then cut around the seam before turning the glove right-side-out. You can get pretty close to the stitches in the fingertips so they're clean, because lycra doesn't fray, but be very careful not to cut the stitches themselves.

http://imageshack.com/i/n5fynzj

The result was a perfectly-fitting glove! It even took to making a fist quite well. Very Sith. :D

http://imageshack.com/i/jwux0ej

http://imageshack.com/i/mszce8j

For the right glove, I did something special. I'm constantly seeing people take their gloves (and even forearm guards) off so they can use their phones, so I thought I'd have a glove I can wear and use my phone with at the same time! For my Commander Shepard build, I obtained a fat quarter of material that's conductive, so you can use touchscreens with it. To make this happen, we basically approached the right glove the same way as the left one, except we cut around the tips of the fingers we wanted to use the conductive fabric on.

http://imageshack.com/i/0a2bywj

Then, we unpinned just fingertips on the side of the fabric that would be the "bottom" side once everything was turned right-side-out, and snipped them off below where the first knuckle would be. We re-pinned on small squares of the silver conductive fabric, sewed them on, and then sewed the whole glove together just as we did with the first one.

This is the resulting glove:

http://imageshack.com/i/b8ny3yj

The gloves are just long enough that they will stay tucked under the bodysuit I'll be wearing and the vembraces. I got the bodysuit last month, and it's bigger than I was lead to believe by the size chart, but it's NBD, because I will probably have to take it in by hand anyway, and it doesn't need to be skintight for my purposes. :)

I also have a prototype of one of my hand plates, made from some scrap Worbla I had lying around. It doesn't have all the center ridges, I decided to abandon that design and go with a more symmetrical one, but here it is:

http://imageshack.com/i/0wur5kj

Regarding the mask, I know some people have asked me what mine will look like. It is being made by DH-P/FX, and he's on Facebook and has posted some pictures of the Revan mask he's working on. It will actually go all the way over the forehead and back a bit, so I'm planning on installing a rare earth magnet on it so my hood will stay in place.

Until next time! I have pictures of the cuirass I need to upload, even though they're kinda messy. XD