• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus COTF CRL update suggestion

Atavistic

also keep in mind that the robes cross left over right

copy the way this one is worn and you'll be good

^_^ Katie

Sorry, but this is incorrect. The tunics close right side over left. The CRL picture is wrong.

You are correct, jedi_master_boy.

I suggest that the main reference photo for Darth Nihilus in the CRLs be updated to show the proper closure of right side over left. All of the other pictures show this correctly.

Every time I look at the wonderful Darth Nihilus costumes that appear in this forum I admire the attention to detail that this Detachment has. There is one detail that I think is lacking, though...

Pleats in the outer tunic.

Let's look at our reference picture:

DNs.jpg

The front panels of Nihilus' outer tunic are not smooth and flat, as almost every Darth Nihilus costume in this forum is. The front panels are voluminous and their lines suggest pleats. This is a detail that I sought to replicate in my own Nihilus costume...

IMGP5479.jpg

IMGP5471.jpg

IMGP5481.jpg

This detail can be replicated, as my photos show. I suggest that the Darth Nihilus COTF CRLs be updated to require this detail. And that the main Nihilus photograph be updated to show the proper tunic closure of the right side over the left.

Guest Aysel

I think pleats are the wrong word, to me a pleat is something that is sewn in, and in this case I wouldn't want to sew in the folds of the fabric, I'd just make sure that the front had enough fabric to replicate the voluminous look. So basically I agree with you. I don't know if I'd take it as far as to make it a requirement to the costume, if we had different levels of costume standards like the TK's then I might, but we don't. I wouldn't hold up an applicant's submission if he/she didn't have the extra fabric in the front. I'd just put it on the list of things that they might want to upgrade.

^_^ Katie

Guest Aysel

cotf_breakdown2.jpg

the outer robe doesn't really cross, it meets at the belt, the inner tunic does cross and it's a left over right cross. So in regards to the CRL pic being wrong, it's only wrong in the sense that the outer robe is closed to tightly. Please use this picture for reference on how to wear the robes.

^_^ Katie

Fair enough, the outer robe doesn't cross. I still think that the inner tunic closes right side over left...

DNs.jpg

Look at the bottom of the inner tunic in the real picture. the right side is over the left. You can see the edge of the left side pushing up underneath the right side of the tunic. The fabric of the right side is even sightly deformed due to the fabric underneath it.

This is why we need to look at the actual picture instead of the color-coded version. We lose detail when looking at the altered version.

And the CRLs are clear on this point:

6. Inner tunic: The inner tunic is made from the same black material as the hood and cape. The right side of the tunic crosses over the left side in the front.

7. Outer Tunic: The outer tunic is made from the same black material as the hood and cape. It is a sleeveless tunic that reaches to mid thigh. The right side of the tunic crosses over the left side in the front. The outer tunic is heavily tattered at the lower edge.

Guest Anonymous

Looking at the pics that go with the CRL descriptions, the individual pictures of the parts do match the descriptions. I never noticed that about the CRL before :lol: