• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan mask help

Guest RinzlerTron

Guest RinzlerTron

Okay, so I've been working on a Revan mask for personal use (just for fun, and hopefully to eventually sell if anyone likes them) but really, right now I just want one for myself. Anyway, I'd like to know what you guys like and don't like about the sculpt and what you think would make it more accurate. I've used tons of reference pictures, and I like the look of it so far, so I just wanted to know what y'all thought.

20140210_171651_zps9db2addf.jpg

Guest RinzlerTron
You have seen most of my feedback in PM, I'll see if anyone else has comments to bring forth. *Eyes the room*.

Yeah, and now that I've pretty much done everything you said needs to be done to it (well, I still need to sharped the parts connected to the panels, and define the circles a bit) I want to see if there's any other comments/things you didn't see :)

Guest RinzlerTron
For the group, do you have any more photos you can post so people can see other angles?

This was before it was smoothed completely (as in there were a few small bumps left here and there), but here is another angle.

Revansmooth1_zpsf3ae79d7.jpg

Yes, there are still bumps in this picture, and the line isn't as crisp as It needed to be, but that all has been fixed now.

My two cents:

You've got a great outline going on this one, definitely an awesome start. I would personally add some more layers to give the mask some more depth. The ridges around the "nose" are a bit more raised on most artists' interpretations you see.

That's the beauty of Revan's mask: there are so many different interpretations of what it looks like IRL. Go nuts!

Guest RinzlerTron
My two cents:

You've got a great outline going on this one, definitely an awesome start. I would personally add some more layers to give the mask some more depth. The ridges around the "nose" are a bit more raised on most artists' interpretations you see.

That's the beauty of Revan's mask: there are so many different interpretations of what it looks like IRL. Go nuts!

Awesome, thanks!

So when you say the ridges, which area do you mean? Do you mean the area inside the two lines directly under the eye slit where in real life the nose would sit? Maybe make that whole area 3d?

Awesome, thanks!

So when you say the ridges, which area do you mean? Do you mean the area inside the two lines directly under the eye slit where in real life the nose would sit? Maybe make that whole area 3d?

There's kind of a vertical ridge in the center that runs from the slit to the bottom of the mask, and some geometric ridges around it. Kind of like you see in this artist's interpretation (which happens to be my favorite interpretation of the mask):

DarthRevan_DarthMalak_EGF.jpg

You can also see there's some layering going on there with different parts of the mask.

Guest RinzlerTron

Awesome, thanks!

There's kind of a vertical ridge in the center that runs from the slit to the bottom of the mask, and some geometric ridges around it. Kind of like you see in this artist's interpretation (which happens to be my favorite interpretation of the mask):

DarthRevan_DarthMalak_EGF.jpg

You can also see there's some layering going on there with different parts of the mask.

Now THAT is just freaking awesome! I think I can do that... give me to the end of the day, and I'll post something I'm sure ;)

As much as I hate to point something out like this, I actually only just realized something that was giving me a funny feeling. Your edges, while very nice and curvy, are curvy.

376px-Revanludotomb.jpg

Should they not be a little more straight, with an internal corner there?

I have a suggestion on where to put the lines, I can draw something up after work.

I did my best to overlay the two images for comparison. I think in order to straighten the edges you might be better adding material rather than removing it. It'll change your proportions, but I think the end result will be a gain.

Pencil tool in PS is pretty terrible so my lines are far from straight.

RaSDfbs.gif

Guest RinzlerTron
I did my best to overlay the two images for comparison. I think in order to straighten the edges you might be better adding material rather than removing it. It'll change your proportions, but I think the end result will be a gain.

Pencil tool in PS is pretty terrible so my lines are far from straight.

RaSDfbs.gif

Oh that's no big deal at all!

I might have time to fix that today actually.....

I don't know how many people work with clay on here, but it's very very easy stuff to work with. The type I use is a sulfur-free medium hardness oil based clay.