• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

armor paint selection

Lord Atrocity

I don't have a particular color to list or suggest. But if I were to do it myself I'd get this file on my phone:

displayimage.php?album=27&pos=17 and take it in with me to the store.

Depending on your preference, I'd see about getting a color match and have them do that work.

If not I'd hunt around and play in the metallic-s, though I'm curious about mixing to get a better/closer match.

This airbrush paint caught my eye while I was browsing:

4334.jpg

(Auto Air Colors 4300 series Metallic Bronze #4334)

Play around with different bases and coats. Definitely test your paints on scraps of the actual material you're using. You might have to buy a handful of different shades to figure out what you like best, but it certainly beats dedicating yourself to one color and hating the end result. :D

well right now im using rattle can automotive/ enaml / and basic paints. i have a crap load of airbrush paints and my set up is crazy but i need tons of parts for my airbrushes so im just trying to blast em out before oct comic con in nyc. the rattle cans are working well with the material. just trying to find the perfect mix

I'm using rattle cans on my custom mandalorian and it's working well for me, even though I have an airbrush.

If you are up to it, do you feel like posting pictures? WIP on a custom build would be enjoyable/enlightening for all I suspect. If you feel like sharing.

oh i have no problem sharing my work.. its just a pain in the A!$ posting pix, like i stated in my last post in the other thread im not really that talented on this computer thingy lol. i have some time tomorrow, so ill start a build thread for all the world to see. ill put up the steps and all the good stuff. i hope i can do this tomorrow if not it will be done by the end of the week

I have no problems uploading them and posting on your behalf if you like. :P

I personally use Imgur.com.

Make a profile, then click images at the top right and essentially you can drag and drop files onto your screen.

There's a button when you click on your image to select where you'd like to share, one is BBCode and it'll put that into your clipboard so you can paste here.

Super simple but depending on your level of understanding and my sometimes sketchy use of grammar, that may be too much. :P

If you want help, lemme know.

sounds good to me, thanks for the help broski. ya ill try to figure this stuff out in the next day or so. first thing first i have to upload all the pix, thats a task in and of itself lol but ill start a build thread after work. its going to be interesting to see what the revan world thinks of my work lol

Yeah, I'd love to see! I'm also doing a custom build (as you know), and it's good to know the rattle cans are working well on the Worbla. I know most people who do Worbla armor of any sort just use acrylics, but I really like some of these more custom colors I'm seeing, so I might use my little airbrush I picked up. But if for some reason that doesn't work I can go rattle can, certainly.

What you can do with Worbla is smooth it out with either wood glue or gesso. Both are sandable and give you a nice, sealed smooth finish with the stuff. Put some Rustoleum sandable primer on top of that and you're golden. With gesso, you can use thicker coats, but with PVA/wood glue you need to use many thin coats.