• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Silver Vs. Black on the Chest Armor

DarthTagion

I'm currently discussing this with the LMO. If anyone would like to post links/images of this particular portion please do so and I will include them in the conversation.

Remember the sources need to be an actual source as opposed to fan-art.

It is my impression that the pieces are colored so as to create a false impression of light/detailing in a low-render game so that the character appears to be lighted, despite the lack of in-game lighting. This is achieved by the silverly look we see on the renders. I bring it into question because when you also look at the same model, you can see the 'black' cape/hood/hakama with sections that are also of the same color as the details on the curiass.

I believe the best solution to be the use of the word 'or'. As in black OR silver being allowed, as I'm not contesting that our main image is of a silvery coloring.

From our LMO:

Just like to say thanks to Brendon SL-99099 for contacting me in regards to the colours on the curiass in particular the "eyes" and supplying a number of images to back up his case.

Im happy for them to remain black - to a lighter shade of black or a silver/grey colour as well.

Guest Kilryth

I just paid attention to this requirement a few days ago and thought it was silly myself. The CRL's definitely need some revision. There's a lot of areas where artificial lighting/shadowing is added to the character textures, and this is certainly one of them.

I think the mid-section should be treated similarly to the boots: either black or a silver/gray. I personally see it as a black that's had gray added to it for a perception of depth and texture.

Some of these CRLs are almost as silly as "Cape must be stiff as a board, just like the reference image." and "Hakama must be as stiff as cape and split in the middle to allow for walking." Just like the game, lol. :)

Agreed. They're a WIP, and certainly better than not having anything at all. I'm thankful for the time that was put into them previously. But they do need some TLC.

Without talking to the original render artist, it would probably be impossible to tell for sure what it's *supposed* to be. I definitely think specific instructions on "this color or that color" are the best way to go. I'm probably going to go for black/dark gray with some metallic depth in places like the "eyes" and the bottom part of the cuirass on mine. But leaving it completely open to interpretation could invite too much artistic license. Lol.

Exactly. Ultimately the question should be whether or not it looks as close as possible to the source material, in this case we have that. The words in the description of the CRL are to help, but when it comes to color, side-by-side comparison is important.

If only we could just write CRLs like:

*Picture here* "It should look like this. PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY LIKE THIS. Just do it." XD

I wish. Some written description is nice, but particularly for video games and comics ect. it gets hard, even still it's hard for folks like BARC Troopers, anything CGI is subject to some debate because of screen colors and it not being a physical item we can imitate. Harsh stuff.

Oh yeah, one of the guys in my garrison is doing a Kashyyyk Scout and he is finding things wrong with the CRL for that one all the time because he's working straight off of the CGI references. When you're talking CGI, it can be even harder to come up with reasonable standards because artists design the characters without much regard for actual mobility and real body movements. At least in film people have to actually wear the costumes! Lol. Luckily, in the case of Revan, we don't have that issue so much, we just have the issue of dealing with early graphics shading.

Oh yeah, one of the guys in my garrison is doing a Kashyyyk Scout and he is finding things wrong with the CRL for that one all the time because he's working straight off of the CGI references. When you're talking CGI, it can be even harder to come up with reasonable standards because artists design the characters without much regard for actual mobility and real body movements. At least in film people have to actually wear the costumes! Lol. Luckily, in the case of Revan, we don't have that issue so much, we just have the issue of dealing with early graphics shading.

If you shoot me his e-mail, a co-worker of mine is building a BARC too and is in contact with one of their better sources, maybe they could work on build logs together.