• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Brute's Revan Build Thread - Finished

DarthBrute

I ordered my Revan from Rob. Now I have pretty much just copied and pasted everything from my Garrison Forum to here. I want everyone informed on what to expect from the armor, my thoughts, and my changes.

Well here is a link to a few pictures of the Revan armor. I did some playing around and did some poking and prodding of it a bit.

The mask is great. But has three straps 1 on each side and one at the top. Not really digging that as I have to tie all three straps together. I picked up some elastic fabric today that maybe I can sew together a 5 strap system that would work better for me, 2 on each side and one at the top. Maybe 6. i just need some thing to sew all the straps to at the center of my head so I have something that distributes the pressure from all that stretching in the center. I will also be adding some foam blocks in key points to hold it off my face a bit. The mask looks awesome but it is pretty shallow. It has very little at the top to "hold" it on the top of your head.

Red tabard is being held on by small black safety pins on the big ring. Since the black drape "belt" will hide the corners of what the tabard hangs on I will go ahead and sew the tabard on to it.

Soft cloth looks awesome. I am a little worried about a couple of straps on the armor itself. I picked up some 5/8" heavy duty snaps I am planning on using to snap some of the straps from the soft cloth and armor together in a few places. I almost picked up 2 small oval hook snaps to replace the small rings at the top of the armor but I couldn't find 2 bigger oval hook snaps to replace the inner ones so I passed on those. I am looking for the right match. I really want this thing to POP when someone sees it.

I haven't really tried anything on yet so as far as the fit goes I just don't know at this point. I am waiting until I find my balaclava so I can put on the mask and everything else and look at it that way. Maybe sometime this week or next week.

As I said before the lightsaber doesn't work. I got an email back from UltraSabers about it. They seem to think it may be a dead cell. I don't know the normal charge time for a 3.7-4.2 V AA battery but it shouldn't be more than an overnight. I emailed back to see if he was going to send me new batteries but I have heard nothing yet since yesterday.

Too small boots will be going back as soon as I hear from Valhalla Surplus once he can get into his store again. (He is in New York.) He is going to look for size 11 for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok a couple of more changes I would like to make.

Strapping for the chest and back armor will be difficult for putting on. It is basically just a tie it on type thing. I am going to rip the current straps off or I will see if I can add some snaps to the current straps.

The cape is the same way.

Attaching the back armor to the front armor (on the sides) is done by velcro. While I see that working for a while, we have all seen how quick velcro can wear out. Snaps for that too.

The hakama is a little big around the waist so I may need to make a couple of cuts in the fabric so I can get a belt through and properly buckled. Or I may use a hook and loop set up that will allow me to adjust it for good fit and flexibility.

This is the Mask before doing anything to it on the inside.

20121106_101739.jpg

After adding some foam pieces to help support it and keep my nose happy.

20121106_102615.jpg

Measured and cut a piece of elastic fabric to replace the 2 straps along the side. I kept the top strap and decided a 4 strap setup was unnecessary. I sewed the top strap to the elastic and then cut it. Then put a dab of hot glue to my thread on the back after tying it a couple of times. You know cause I have never sewn before and it will hold it. I hope.

20121106_130142.jpg

I ripped off the old straps and then used some E6000 to glue the straps onto the mask. I don't trust the stuff so I put some hot glue around the edges. Seems to be doing what I want it to do.

20121106_130155.jpg

Me wearing the mask. The Michael Bay effect was not done on purpose. It is just a tad too snug but it is no where near uncomfortable but then again what costume is.

20121106_130244.jpg

I think I am done with the mask. I tested out some snaps on the straps I ripped off the mask and pulled the snaps as hard as I could a bunch of times so I am pretty sure the straps on the armor itself would be able to hold. That is next on my list. I picked up some solid curtain rings to replace the key chain rings on the armor itself. They came with small links in them so I am going to use those to hot glue the rings to the bottom of the armor.

I finally got the saber to work. It was an issue with the charger itself. The contacts were not hitting the battery right. I had to fool with it a bit to get them to start charging.

20121106_130316.jpg

Silent, here is a more close up view of the saber itself. I need to get some brass or gold spray paint to paint the pommel and the emitter. This is the Liberator V3. I did not order sound but I recommend you do.

20121106_130329.jpg

That's all for now. The updates will continue!

I did a quick test wear of the cape, cowl, balaclava and mask. Just to see how it looks. Be advised that the chest armor has not been fitted around the back just yet. I also have a bead on some shirts for the Revan costume if anyone is interested. I just need to recheck the price.

20121108_094729.jpg

20121108_094738.jpg

I have ordered 4 of these snaps to put on the armor. After measuring the space that the rings occupy I concluded that these would work the best. They are 1" in width and 1 3/4" in length. As I have said before I will be cutting a hole for a strap a little further back on the armor for the outer straps. And using one of the straps I stripped from the mask I will be replacing the wire that is currently clipped to the rings.

HOLY CRAP!

Well me and some of the guys from the Garrison got together and did an armor party. We pretty much completed my Revan build. What we did:

Cuirass/Back Armor: Removed those ugly wires from the outside rings and removed all rings. If you remember from a previous post I bought 4 of these clips. For the inside they fit perfectly, for the outside I measured down a little (about an inch) and made a new cut that matched the width of the straps Rob had used and fed that through. Hooked it to the new clips tightened and glued.

Snaps, snaps, snaps. Vader held my back armor and we were able to use the velcro and attach it to the cuirass using the side straps. Measured out the straps and put snaps on the back that attach the cuirass straps to the back armor straps. The snaps are above the back armor but seeing as the cape and cowl will cover it my GML saw no reason why we couldn't do that. Added snaps to the straps for the cape that go will attach to their counterparts under the cuirass. I actually had to add another set under the cuirass as my cape was touching the ground. Now it sits at the right length for when I wear my boots. The 12 Rings: Yep I replaced them. I found some rings the same size as those key rings that are solid and have a brushed nickel look to them. They are actually drapery rings. They came with a little alligator clip on them that had a link attached to them. Tore apart the alligator clips straightened out the link and then hot glued to the bottom of the armor.

20121118_215204.jpg

20121118_215129.jpg

20121118_215112.jpg

20121118_215047.jpg

20121118_215212.jpg

Hakama: Resewed the seams in places where it needed it. And the hakama was too long in the waist so we sewed on velcro instead of having to cut it down.

Cowl: Two of the stitching for the pleats had come apart so those were resewed. Also sewed them at the end to hold the pleats all the way down.

Hmmm I think that will cover it. I still need to sew the bead across the shirt and then I will be submitting for approval.

20121118_221005.jpg

20121118_220950.jpg

20121118_220944.jpg

20121118_220937.jpg

20121118_220927.jpg

What do you guys think? The shoulders of the cowl just need to be straightened to show the pleats. I put it on by myself to show myself that I could. I need to sew in the bead across the shirt and it seems that I also forgot to sew the end of the black belt as well. Quick fixes and almost ready for approval. Aysel what do you think?

I think your almost there, do the things you know that need to be finished. When you take pictures next have someone there to help "primp" you for the pictures, have the reference pictures up so your helper knows how things are supposed to be laid down. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Revan Troop photos

Ok above is the link to the albums. As you can see the cowl holds perfectly on the shoulders due to the velcro I sewed on to the straps for the chest plate and the seam on the inside of the cowl. Although due to the cowl ends it doesn't seem like it. After a fresh tuck every now and then it looks pretty good.

But the problem still remains of the cowl ends that kind of don't lay right and come out ALL the time. Possible solution would be to measure out where the straps would go, cut a slit and sew up so it doesn't come unraveled there. Slip the straps through. If the slit is long enough it will allow the cowl to move around and hold it in place at the same time. My previous solution I was looking at wouldn't have worked well.

The cape fell off after the troop today. I used hot glue to hold on the snaps for the cape and back plate. The snaps came completely off the chest plate. I guess standing in the hot sun doesn't bode well for hot glue. So I am going to epoxy the snaps on and then add some hot glue after it dries just for security.

I still need to do the shirts. I need to find a thinner turtleneck and possibly a new balaclava. My and a friends sewing machine took a turn for the worse.

Well I think thats about it for now.

Alright I fixed the cape. Epoxied the snaps to the cuirass. Those things ain't going no where.

Currently trying to find a cobbler or leather worker that can add the strap to the boots. Cowl situation is ongoing. I am going back to the drawing board on that. Everytime I think about it I think how it will lay, where it will pull and how to keep it still.

Also going to sew some velcro to both sides of the opening in the hakama in the front to kind of tack the red sash down a little better. Wind like to take it and whip it around and it gets pretty annoying. Just going to cut a flap into the leather on the back of the sash so I can sew it on rather than using sticky back velcro. Easier? Yes but eventually it will fail.

Long term: Come up with a way to "buckle" the straps on the side to the back. So it looks a little better and to make it a more permanent placing and easier to put on without a squire to make sure it is all lined up.

Ordering a mock turtleneck online that has a lycra collar. I figure that will help keep the balaclava inside. I do notice it has a tendency to slip out.

Well. I feel like the farther I get with this the more solutions I come up with. I will be glad when this is all complete and approved.

My balaclava is sewn 2/3 - 1/2 the way around the front of my shirt, the rear is left open for stretching around my oversized noggin. For suiting up I pull the thing down not covering my face, on the off chance I'm in a parking lot, to minimize chance of a 911 call (Still happens from time to time). Turtle neck is a good option too. Love all the rest of your change ideas. Rob's work is great but tweaking it for personal comfort and appearance is what it is all about.

It was super-duper cold on my last troop, so I wore a hoodie (it's what I had) under my underarmour. I've also taken a black sweater I have and worn it over my underarmour. Thankfully the chest works as a great windblock.

I'm really wanting to add a saber to my costume. Mainly for photo's with people. What is the fun of taking a pic with a Sith Lord if he doesn't have a lightsaber. I have been scrounging around Ultrasaber's site and cannot find a way to contact them about getting the setup you did. Any info? Or will have to by the liberator v3 and the extra parts and switch them up myself?

Alright found a leather store to do the strap for my boots. He sent me a picture of 2 different leathers to choose from:[attachment=0]leather colors.jpg[/attachment]

One on the left is dark grey one on right is more metallic.

Here is the guidance here for the boots: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=985

Boots:

* The boots may be black or dark gray in color.

* The toes may be rounded or squared.

* The heels should be low, and there should be no visible laces.

* There may be be strapping near the toe in a dark metallic gray.

And here is the CRL: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_revan

Boots

For 501st approval:

The boots may be black or dark gray in color.

The heels are low, and there are no visible laces.

A wide strap may be included that goes over the top of the foot

You probably don't need me to post the links but I figured I would anyway.

So I need detachment staff to look at this and tell me which I should go for or if another color needs to be selected.

If I 'had' to choose between the two for myself, I would go with the darker one of the two, despite the CRL. I feel like it is going to be closer to any of the other grays on your costume and not stand out as a stark different material, which, it probably shouldn't be a drastic difference from the rest of the costume.

Unfortunately there is not much in the way of source material on the boots. Images are few and far between that actually show a boot.

If I had to color match it to any part of the armor I would go with the large O-ring or the pieces supporting it.

Even then I'm not entirely convinced as to whether it should be a color match or not.

This falls under my stance on "using shaded skins to define detail/depth in a game with minimal lighting mechanics".

I really don't have much to offer beyond "go with what you think looks right to you." This is a territory that not many have entered, and I don't have any personal experience or the wisdom of others to offer you. I'm pleased to see you going the extra mile on your costume; make it a choice that you personally will be happy with!

Pam :-)

Ok here is what it looked like. I hadn't sewn anything yet but it didn't feel right. Like it wouldn't hold up on a longer troop.

20130320_154300.jpg20130320_154248.jpg

So I did something a little different but similar. I looked at the webbed loops inside the cuirass that I wasn't utilizing for the cape (because that would have sucked to tie).

20130320_163318.jpg

I sewed on a longer strap that would go all the way through and used a larger snap than planned because there was no risk of it being seen.

20130320_163341.jpg20130320_163456.jpg

This will allow me to have that pull that will keep it tight around the shoulders and some down resistance to help it stay down on the arms. I am actually thinking about doing velcro on the upper sleeves of my shirt. But I think that might pull the shirt out of the greeves. Unless I add loops to the sleeves to go around my thumb inside the gloves.

20130320_163547.jpg

And this is for James D. I used the foam blocks purchased from trik toys and cut down to size.

http://www.triktoys.com/shop/catalog/armor-foam-fitting-blocks-with-adhesive-backing-p-70.html

20130320_164259.jpg

Well the next troop will be the test for this.

Next Episode: Securing the Red Sash!

I was considering doing something really similar for my hood. Let me know how yours works out on your next troop. Also, I might have missed it, but what do you do to keep your hood in place on top of your head? I was considering putting a spot of velcro ontop of the balaclava and on the underside of the hood so it would stay 'just so' over the mask so not too much of that dome showed at the top but at the same time didn't hang over the visor.

Okay cool, good to know. I've been studying your build in preparation for getting my set from Rob, so I'm just going down the checklist of all the things I'd need so once it arrives I can jump right in. Speaking of which, what'd you use to remove the straps from your mask and the chest armour? Anything specific?

In order to get my hood to sit low enough, I had to actually put a piece of velcro further back in the hood than the one Rob put in, this allowed me to still put the velcro at the very top of the mask, which allows me to hide it if I have a photo with my mask off (not many but nice to have the option)

My default velcro from Rob and having the velcro at the top put the hood really high and you could see way too much forehead. on the mask

Okay cool, good to know. I've been studying your build in preparation for getting my set from Rob, so I'm just going down the checklist of all the things I'd need so once it arrives I can jump right in. Speaking of which, what'd you use to remove the straps from your mask and the chest armour? Anything specific?

No. I just pulled it off. Be firm but slow. (heh heh thats what she said) Then sand off whatever glue may be left.

I will post some pics in a couple of days but I sewed on new straps to the cape. Moved them out a few inches. I did that to help them stay out of view. I felt that with where they were, it wasn't do the costume any justice to have almost visible straps. I also moves the straps for the back plate. I replaced all straps with the elastic strapping for better freedom of movement.

Also during a test fitting for the new cowl hook up, the inner snap fell off. I took it as weak fabric. So I cut off a small square of elastic strap wider than the snap (5/8 in) and put a new snap through it and the cowl cloth in the same spot. Seems to be a tighter more snug fit so that should hold better.

Good idea, would love to see the new photos. I didn't understand why a cape wouldn't have ties at the corners but it's okay. Need to do some work such as this after the con I think