• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte Armor - Mynock's build - Completed and 501st Approved!

Mynock

After a month of work, my new Sith Acolyte mask mold is nearly completed! Just a few things to touch up, and it will be ready for casting!

Ā 

I went to the drawing board and rebuilt the thing from scratch, incorporating some details that were not available to me previously. I sculpted it using Sculpey, then cast in in 65D resin, did more touchup work using bondo. Lastly, I pulled an ABS sheet over this to create a shell, from which I cut out the detailing as in my previous masks. There is now symmetry to the detailing so that left mirrors the right, whereas perviously I had different patterns in each quadrant of the mask. The detailing alone took a week to complete, and several more days to smooth out and blend in.

Ā 

Once I get my shipment of silicone in (which should be in a day or two), I will be able to begin casting, at which point I will move on to the rest of the armor!

Ā 

I will not be doing a different back portion at this time, and continue to use the one with the Sith Empire logo from my version 3 mask.

Ā 

I will be posting a full A-Z step by step production diary shortly.

Ā 

img_3810_med-2.jpeg

img_3799_med.jpeg

img_3801_med.jpeg

The mask looks amazing! :D

Ā 

Thank you for the kind words. If you look at the first post in this thread, you can see how the design has progressed over the past year (hard to believe it's been a year!)

Ā 

I have updated my website with the production diary up to this point in the process, so I won't repost it all here. There are LOTS AND LOTS of photos and a pile of information documenting each step of the build that some may find interesting or maybe useful (to see what NOT to do, since I've made a pile of mistakes along the way!)

Ā 

I will be casting the mask in a day or two, once my shipment of silicone comes in. Will update the thread with photos then.

From first sculpting the mask in Sculpey, to making the molds and casting in resin, to finalizing the paint job, the process took over a month. But alas, the mask is finally done, and I can now move on to making the armour!

Ā 

img_3865_med-5.jpeg

img_3870_med.jpeg

img_3867_med-2.jpeg

sith-acolyte-mynock-side_med-2.jpeg

Ā 

And an alternate paint job:

Ā 

sith-acolyte-v4-red_med-2.jpeg

Thanks guys. I'm starting the armor build now, but it will most likely take a while. I have so many fingers in so many project pots righ now, I'm surprised anyhign is getting done at all lol. Some great Acolyte builds happening out there. Always interested to see what others are dong.

Just finished my hand plates, cast in urethane resin. Build diary can be found on my website, herehttp://mynocksden.com/projects/sith-acolyte/sith-acolyte-hand-plates.html

Ā 

img_4752_med.jpeg

img_4749_med.jpeg

img_4751_med.jpeg

img_4762_med.jpeg

img_4754_med.jpeg

img_4753_med.jpeg

Ā 

Also working on the chest plate and biceps, which are almost done.

Guest trooper wraith
Just finished the shoulder plates.

Ā 

Also working on the chest plate, which should be done soon!

Ā 

It starts with just one piece. Glad to see you're tackling this armor, Mynock!

Ā 

Can't wait to see the chest plate...and then the finished armor.

Ā 

SteveO

Trooper Wraith

Just finished the shoulder plates.

Ā 

Also working on the chest plate, which should be done soon!

Ā 

It starts with just one piece. Glad to see you're tackling this armor, Mynock!

Ā 

Can't wait to see the chest plate...and then the finished armor.

Ā 

SteveO

Trooper Wraith

Ā 

Ā 

I finally committed to the armour. I was too afraid to tackle the project, but I let my fear fuel the dark side, and so, here we are lol

Chest plate nearing completion, and should be ready in a few days! This was by far the single most intimidating piece of the armor that held me back from undertaking the full armor project this entire time. Aside from the mask,to me the chest plate can make or break the whole set! So, hopefully when it's done, it achieves the former and not the latter lol.

Ā 

I'm going to sacrifice light-weightness for best and sharpest detail retention here and stay away from vacuum forming.The chest plate will therefore be cast in semi rigid urethane resin, backed with ABS plastic for extra durability.

Ā 

1r7f.jpg