• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte Armor - Mynock's build - Completed and 501st Approved!

Mynock

Here's the armor finally set up on a mannequin. It's a bit taller and skinnier than I am, but I think the idea is captured quite nicely. The boots, biceps (which I am still making) and robe are still missing from the photo, but I will be putting this on in all its glory within the next few days!

20150408_004549_med.jpeg

After nearly 3 years, my Sith Acolyte build is finally finished! I'll be taking hi rez photos and video in the next few days and sending in my application to the 501st! In the meantime, here is a teaser photo!

20150410_233932-_med-2.jpeg

Just returned from Celebration 7 in Anaheim, and I am happy to say the armour was a complete hit! I've never been to a costuming event before, and Celebration was literally my first one, and it was truly an amazing experience! After about 2 hours of walking around on the floor, we tried to leave, but just kept getting assailed by people wanting photos! It was especially great to see the smiles on kids' faces when they posed for a photo. What a fantastic experience!

Here are some photos I compiled from the event. The absolute best part was when out of costume, and carrying my Shae Vizla helmet, I ran into the lead writer for SWTOR at BioWare, who recognized it and me from FaceBook, which led to a VIP invite to the SWTOR Cantina Tour at the Hilton with the senior SWTOR BioWare staff. It was by far the highlight of the entire trip!

mynock1-1.jpeg20150417_130551-2_med-2.jpeg

20150417_130558-2_med-2.jpeg

20684_986267211385107_24031_med.jpeg

20150417_124846_med.jpeg

20150417_124900_med.jpeg

4194_med.jpeg

42001_med.jpeg

And group shot with the BioWare development team - what a huge, huge honour!

11117702_939647972732122_17_med.jpeg

AWESOME JOB on this!!!  I've been following your build since the beginning, & it's been GREAT seeing this thing come together so well!  JUST AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME WORK!!!  You should be VERY PROUD of what you've created!!!  It's a WORK OF ART!!!  I TOTALLY have to get the rest of the pieces I need from you to complete mine!  PM sent sir!  WELL DONE!!! :tkdance:  8)

AWESOME JOB on this!!!  I've been following your build since the beginning, & it's been GREAT seeing this thing come together so well!  JUST AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME WORK!!!  You should be VERY PROUD of what you've created!!!  It's a WORK OF ART!!!  I TOTALLY have to get the rest of the pieces I need from you to complete mine!  PM sent sir!  WELL DONE!!! :tkdance:  8)

Thank you, sir! You've definitely been along for the ride with this build, and I appreciate your support and kind words of encouragement through it all! I'm glad you like how it turned out! Now let's get you kitted up and put another awesome Acolyte on this planet! :)

Mynock's Den Sith Acolyte armor is now officially 501st approved, and I'm honoured to finally join the ranks of the 501st as SL21028. 

Thanks to all who have watched and supported this build! :)

Do you guys know if Taras is still accepting orders for his sith acolyte armor pieces? I have some of his armor from an earlier run and want to complete the rest but I can't seem to get a hold of him to tell me if he's still doing those or not.

Thank you for sharing this gorgeous build and congratulations on your 501st Legion membership. SL21028 is Legion ID very well earned.

I am sharing this thread on The Flagship Eclipse’s Facebook page as our Friday Flagship Forum Feature.

We would be honoured for you to join us Taras.

TFE062015_zpsx1hp7xjh.jpg

Sorry for the silence, ladies and gentlemen! Been trying to catch up on orders and stuff as well as get some new projects going, so it's been a bit slow going with answering everyone's emails and PMs. Best place to contact me right now would be though email at taras@mynocksden.com, as I'm trying to consolidate everything through email. Marc, I got your messages! I'll be getting in touch shortly!

• Like 1

Sorry for the silence, ladies and gentlemen! Been trying to catch up on orders and stuff as well as get some new projects going, so it's been a bit slow going with answering everyone's emails and PMs. Best place to contact me right now would be though email at taras@mynocksden.com, as I'm trying to consolidate everything through email. Marc, I got your messages! I'll be getting in touch shortly!

Hi Taras.  Just sent you an e-mail.  Hope all is well. 8)

See the new SWTOR trailer "Sacrifice"? Just EPIC, and the acolytes make a return! Here are some screen grabs.

screenshot-2015-06-15-15445_med.png

1_med.jpeg

2_med.jpeg

4_med.jpeg

3_med.jpeg

Anyway, in light of the new trailer, the Sith Acolyte mask backplate in the works, which will turn my V5 mask into a full helmet as seen in the new trailer. To keep true to accuracy and proportion, the back piece is quite small and snug, so it may not fit all heads. I will not know the fit until I actually start casting. In any case, It will be a great addition to the build and allow for the mask to be displayed as a helmet.

20150619_131822_med.jpeg

20150619_131453_med.jpeg

Stay tuned for updates!

Introducing Sith Acolyte/TOR Jedi chest plate V2! Unlike the original version which was done 100% by hand, this is completely CAD based, and will be 3D printed. As before, the final piece will be cold cast in 65D resin, with the outer layer cold-cast in aluminum. The Jedi version will come with a 3D printed centre oval housing, which will be comprised of two pieces that will snap together. The assembly will be hollow to allow for installation of LED lights. I will be 3D printing this in the next few days once I finish up the model, so stay tuned for more updates!

screenshot-2015-06-21-04033_med.jpeg

screenshot-2015-06-21-03222_med.jpeg

screenshot-2015-06-21-03231_med.jpeg

screenshot-2015-06-21-03241_med.jpeg

Alas, no build is every truly finished! Thus, behold, the Sith Acolyte Helmet! 

Basically it is my version 5 Sith Acolyte mask supplemented with a detachable backplate. I've worked on this build for 3 years, and in that time have come by a lot of invaluable information and insight into this character; I've known for a while that the mask is actually a two-part helmet, though until now I didn't see the need do the back piece, as it was never seen in the old trailers. The unhooded Acolytes in the new SWTOR trailer "Sacrifice" changed my mind! :)

In the reference material the Sith Acolyte character's helmet is quite small in proportion to the rest of the body. When I initially modelled the front mask, I scaled it up so that it would cover the face of an average person. I then made the back piece to maintain proportion with the front, which made it very accurate albeit small. 

My goal in this was not to make a wearable component, but to turn the wearable mask into a screen accurate display piece - a full helmet. Don't get me wrong, the two-part helmet CAN be worn, though because of how snug it is, it may not fit all heads or be very comfortable to wear for more than a few minutes at a time. The two halves are separated for the helmet to be put on; they secure back in place over the head using Velcro straps. Some people have suggested neodymium magnets to hold the two halves together, and so I placed an order for some to experiment with. I'll be posting results soon.

(WIP photos and notes are being compiled and will be posted on my site as usual).

20150703_131526_med.jpeg
20150703_131611_med.jpeg
20150703_131620_med.jpeg
20150703_132016_med-2.jpeg
20150703_132057_med.jpeg
20150703_132105_med-2.jpeg

In other news: the redesigned and much more accurate V2 chest plate is finally ready! The new plate is reinforced with a metal rod across the central bridge (the weakest structural point), and is lighter than the old version. I have some amber LED lights on order as well; once those get here, I'll put together a lit Jedi version to give you an idea of what that will look like.

screenshot-2015-06-21-04033_med.jpeg
20150703_194402-1_med.jpeg

Love that armor.  How big of a head do you think that helmet would fit?  I'm sure my big dome wouldn't fit at all in it, but I'd like to see how that would look on someone in the full costume.

If you're up to doing a commission on an Acolyte armor set I'd be interested.  Though it would have to be a few months so I can catch up on things after my current house purchase.