• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte Armor - Mynock's build - Completed and 501st Approved!

Mynock

o I have finally started to paint and assemble the actual pieces of the armour I'm going to be wearing at C7 in Anaheim. After the shins and calves, I spent the past two days working on the gauntlets.These are cold cast in aluminum, with each gauntlet being comprised of 3 pieces: upper, lower, and missile. I initially, I had these come together with velcro, but in the end I epoxy puttied them solid. They slide onto the arm, and are held in place on with friction from the padding inside.

Ā 

The paint job was done using 4 types of spray paint: black undercoat that was left to dry for less than 5 minutes, followed by Charcoal Grey by Dupli-Color, and Magnetic gray also by Dupli-Color on the wrist, middle mini hand plate thingy, and the entire lower half. This layer was also let dry for about 2 minutes in front of a heater. After the two said minutes, I went over the surface with steel wool to dull the metal flakes inside the paint, and to at the same time smooth and weather down the paint. I find that using steel wool before the paint is fully cured produces a very gear looking weathering effect; lots of pressure rubs the paint right down to the cold cast metal (polishing this up in the process), while a little bit of pressure rubs off the top grey layer in clumps, revealing the black primer underneath. Finally, I used some Acrylic flat black to paint the seams, and to "dirty up" the overall look.

Ā 

Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think!

Ā 

20141129_195559-1_med.jpeg

20141129_195429-1_med.jpeg

20141129_195453-1_med.jpeg

20141129_195442-1_med.jpeg

20141129_195533-1_med.jpeg

20141129_195724-1_med.jpeg

Been keeping up with Mynock on this practically since the beginning when he started this build. This is by far the most accurate armor out there. The quality of these parts are top notch and amazingly detailed. All the parts are 3-D rendered from all available footage on this character. You can tell he did his research and then some. A well respected prop maker he backs up his work and is true to his word.

Ā 

I just finished my gauntlets as well and now gearing up for the legs! Almost done Mynock. What a journey. Great job dude. :))

Here is a pretty big update: for the first time ever, here are all the pieces of my Sith Acolyte armour gathered together for a group photo (forgot one of the boot assemblies, though!). COD plate and right thigh left to go, and we're in business! My supplier dropped the ball on my silicone order recently, which created a delay. But anyways, here are the photos!

Ā 

20141216_191724_med-2.jpeg

20141216_191742_med.jpeg

20141216_191753_med.jpeg

20141216_191602_med.jpeg

20141216_191748_med.jpeg

It is really cool to see all of your work together. It is looking great!

Ā 

I've lost track of which pieces are cold cast aluminum vs resin. I am curious- how heavy are the aluminum pieces compared to say, if they were ABS?

Ā 

Once again, what a beautiful job! (And I still love my version 2 mask!)

Ā 

Marin2AcolyteClose2Large_zps1b8d6498.jpg

98% there! ALMOST!!!

Ā 

Video of the armour here:

Ā 

Ā 

20150209_171949_med-2.jpeg

Ā 

Cod plate made out of rubber. I'm going to weather it a bit to make it blend in more; this is an experimental piece, so I'll keep you posted on how it holds up. But, to keep it true to the reference material, I wanted it to be one piece, made out of a flexible rubbery material. Here's a video.

Ā 

Ā 

I have some PM's in my inbox, and 'll reply to all shortly!

WOW!!! As always, you continue to AMAZE with your AWESOME updates!!! CAN'T WAIT to see this complete, & you wearing it!!! You're going to have to put together a tutorial video on how to setup a rig to wear this & put it on. I sent you a PM awhile ago too. I figure you've been busy working on all your gear trying to get everything ready for SW Celebration, so I haven't wanted to keep pestering you. Figure you'll get to replying when you can. Again, GREAT JOB on this!!! 8)

Just recently received a kudos from Blur Studio regarding the work I've done on the acolyte!!!

Ā 

In the photos below, my Sith Acolyte mask at Blur Studios, the birth place of the Sith Acolyte, where it will be put on display! How crazy is that!!! (Photos courtesy of David Wilson, director of the SWTOR trailers at Blur). Few more of my SWTOR pieces are on their way to Blur now as well to be enclosed in glass. What a huge honor!

Ā 

bluracolyte_02_med.jpeg

bluracolyte_01_med.jpeg

Ā 

Anyway, decided to update a few pieces of the armor to make them even more accurate! Stay tuned.

Just recently received a kudos from Blur Studio regarding the work I've done on the acolyte!!!

Ā 

In the photos below, my Sith Acolyte mask at Blur Studios, the birth place of the Sith Acolyte, where it will be put on display! How crazy is that!!! (Photos courtesy of David Wilson, director of the SWTOR trailers at Blur). Few more of my SWTOR pieces are on their way to Blur now as well to be enclosed in glass. What a huge honor!

Ā 

bluracolyte_02_med.jpeg

bluracolyte_01_med.jpeg

Ā 

Anyway, decided to update a few pieces of the armor to make them even more accurate! Stay tuned.

Ā 

That's totally AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!!! The honor is WELL DESERVED!!! Your stuff is by far the BEST I've seen! I'm looking forward to an update from you soon, hopefully with pics of you suited up. CAN'T WAIT to see all this AWESOMENESS finally come together as a finished WORK OF ART!!! I'm also hoping to hear back from you when you get a chance regarding my recent PMs to you. I've been trying not to pester you too much, as I know you've had a lot going on that you're trying to get finished before SW Celebration in April. Again, CONGRATS on the recognition! Talk to you soon! 8)

Another major update from the build. Sith Acolyte mask version 5! This will be the final iteration of the Bengal Sith Acolyte mask from me. It's completely CAD based, and VERY :)

Ā 

Mask is currently being molded, and will be ready to go shortly.

Ā 

20150227_132824_med.jpeg

Ā 

Also, redid the belt canister,

Ā 

20150227_140011_med.jpeg

Ā 

pouches,

Ā 

20150227_140650_med.jpeg

Ā 

as well as the elbows to make them spot on as well.

Ā 

20150227_135622_med.jpeg

Pouches are non-functional and made from Task 16 rubber.

The pinnacle of Sith Acolyte mask evolution is reached with my latest and final version of this mask! CAD-based, 3D printed, molded and cold cast in aluminum, this is the mask I've been trying to make all these years!

Ā 

20150301_140611_med.jpeg

20150301_140614_med.jpeg

20150301_140644_med.jpeg

20150301_140653_med.jpeg

20150301_140704_med.jpeg

20150301_140728_med.jpeg

20150301_140734_med.jpeg

20150301_140736_med.jpeg