• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte Armor - Mynock's build - Completed and 501st Approved!

Mynock

Looking good, Mynock! What's next? Ha. No rush...

:D

SteveO

Trooper Wraith

Next will be gauntlets, abdomen, and fingers. I need to get a robe, so I can start demonstrating this build in character!

Looking amazing so far Mynock! I agree with you that with this costume the mask and chest plate make the most impact. Between your latest mask and this chest plate I'd say you're right on the mark! Great work my friend.

Chest plate finally done. Lots of mistakes and trial and error making this, but it is finally done!

Initially, built the model out of foam, then progressed through two casts in resin to get the master to this form. Anyway, full production notes are now posted on my website, http://mynocksden.com

img_5054_med-3.jpeg

img_5056_med.jpeg

img_5058_med.jpeg

img_5063_med.jpeg

img_5037_med-2.jpeg

img_5045_med.jpeg

Youtube vide here:

I have fingers and thumbs cast as well; will post photos soon.

Sith Acolyte thumb armour completed. Initially drawn on paper, traced onto an ABS sheet, cut out and folded to the correct shape, and finally cold cast in aluminum using ONYX resin.

Working on the fingers now. I have them cast in resin, but I think I will vacuum form them instead to decrease weight and bulk.

img_5072_med-2.jpeg

Hand armour fully done!

Hand plate was modified a bit from my first prototype to be more accurate; claws are now accurate shape as well, and are thinner and more flexible to prevent injury (seriously, my initial claws were deadly!). Also, now cold cast in aluminum as opposed to being painted.

Thumb armour cold cast in aluminum as well, while the finger/knuckle pieces are vacuum formed from .04 gauge ABS plastic and painted to match the rest.

Both hand and thumb plates are strapped to the hand using two elastic straps each, while the finger pieces are glued onto the glove using hot glue.

img_5090_med.jpeg

img_5109_med-2.jpeg

img_5112-2_med.jpeg

Lightsaber in the photos is by Jedi Master of the store Holocron on Etsy.com, modified with Makoto Tsai's V3 Super Plus red LED string blade and electronics. You need sunglasses for this thing!

Top half forearm armour master prototype nearly completed. I should be able to cast this week once my new shipment of silicone comes in. This will be cast in two pieces: the main forearm, and the little rocket/bullet assembly. Funny story: I was actually thinking "what should I use to make the little bullet thingy?", when it dawned on me "duh! the answer is in the question!" So I raided my SKS ammo crate and used a live 7.62x39 round to make it! lol.

There are also two little cables that come out of the front of the rocket in the reference material, which i will do post casting, using 16 gauge wires wrapped in heat shrink tubing.

img_5155_med-2.jpeg

img_5156_med-2.jpeg

For some strange reason, the forum will no longer allow me to link to my medium size photos from my website, which are now being deemed too large to post. Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch; larger photos can be seen on my blog mynocksden.com.

Anyway, elbows done. Initially thought about vacuum forming them, but decided to cast to retain sharpness of center ridge.

img_5299_med.jpeg

Dorsal forearm done. Cold cast (like everything else in this build), with the little bullet assembly being cast as a separate piece. This piece took me forever to build, and now that it's done, I don't like it because it's not sharp enough. I will rebuild it from scratch using slightly different methods; in the mean time however, this is the forearm.

img_5306_med.jpeg

Chest plate shortened from the bottom a bit, weathered to an even darker colour.

img_5301_med.jpeg

img_5304_med.jpeg

Overall, the build is proceeding nicely. I'm out of province all of next week for work, so the build will resume after I get back.

Decided to go back and redo the hand plates to make them more accurate in dimensions and detailing.

New hand plate now has sides so that it doesn't just sit on top of your hand, but wraps around it. It's also a bit smaller than the previous version.

20131117_160049_med-2.jpeg

20131117_155019_med-2.jpeg

20131117_155816_med.jpeg

20131117_160139-2_med.jpeg

Here is a comparison shot between the new plate (left) and the original one (right)

20131117_155109_med-2.jpeg

Larger photos and build notes here: http://mynocksden.com/projects/sith-acolyte/sith-acolyte-hand-armor/sith-acolyte-hand-plates.html

Forearm being re-worked now as well, and should be done soon. Also, starting the stomach masters; the abdomen pieces will be cast in rubber (or so I hope); I've never used rubber before, so this will be an interesting experiment :)

The lines are definitely sleeker and much more accurate. Great job!!!

Those spikes look mighty sharp, though! :0

Thanks! :D

The claws are actually made from very thin .04 gauge ABS plastic and are really bendy for safety reasons. I had them made out of thick .08 ABS initially but those were extremely stiff and dangerous. I'll do a "stiff and dangerous" version for my display, but for trooping they will definitely be made thin and flexible. Wouldn't want to take anyone's eye out by accident.

Dorsal gauntlet reworked and ready for casting. I wasn't happy with the original piece as I rushed the build, using the wrong materials for the job. As a result, the detail wasn't as sharp and symmetrical as could have been, which really bugged me, so I decided to go back to the drawing board and try to get this thing done right.

So, I took a page out of my Sith Acolyte mask detailing book and used ABS layering to make the gauntlet master. I used the original gauntlet mold to cast the old piece, then through a combination of sanding and Bondo filling made a buck for vacuum forming the general shape. I then vacuum formed two more layers, which I used for creating the detailing.

Here is the finished master ready for casting. The little rocket thingy on the top of the forearm will once again be cast separately. Larger photos and build notes are found here http://mynocksden.com/projects/sith-acolyte/sith-acolyte-forearm-armour/sith-acolyte-dorsal-forearm.html

20131119_224628_med-2.jpeg

upperarm_med1_med.jpeg

Guest daennika

I love how you made that awesome sculpting job for the aluminium piece, then made an even more awesome 3-layered ABS build... Those pictures make it look too easy. I hate you :D

I love how you made that awesome sculpting job for the aluminium piece, then made an even more awesome 3-layered ABS build... Those pictures make it look too easy. I hate you :D

Hahaha. Thanks! Honestly there is nothing more discouraging than working on a build for days on end and then discovering that the final piece did not turn out the way you were hoping. The realization that you won't be happy with it until you redo it almost from scratch just plain SUCKS Lol. Not to mention the work itself involved in rebuilding something you've already failed at once!

But, when it does finally turn out (which is in no small part due to words of encouragemebt from the community), it's an awesome feeling that fuels the rest of the build!

Guest daennika

Hahaha. Thanks! Honestly there is nothing more discouraging than working on a build for days on end and then discovering that the final piece did not turn out the way you were hoping. The realization that you won't be happy with it until you redo it almost from scratch just plain SUCKS Lol. Not to mention the work itself involved in rebuilding something you've already failed at once!

But, when it does finally turn out (which is in no small part due to words of encouragemebt from the community), it's an awesome feeling that fuels the rest of the build!

I'm so glad you're not the quitter type, because you have such great skills to make great props... without outside help, too! You are an inspiration.

Upper gauntlet finished! As usual, cold cast in aluminum. Really happy with how this turned out. Going to put everything on and take a few photos shortly just to show size and how it all fits together. The, onto the rest of the armour!

20131120_172115_med.jpeg

20131120_172141_med.jpeg

20131120_172124-copy_med.jpeg