• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Twi'lek Body Paint

Twi'lek Pam

The body paint is one of the biggest Make-or-Break aspects of a Twi'lek costume, so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that is just about the options and techniques for body painting. I have never painted the Sith tattoo patterns, so I will leave that aspect of Talon costuming to the experts... but I do know a bit about body paints and getting that base color down good and even!

Here are a couple resources that I can offer. Everyone, feel free to add more resources, tips and tricks, and painting tutorials to this thread!

The Sith Lords Detachment has a lot of information about doing the Maul patterns... which can be transferred over to Talon's designs.

http://www.501stsithlords.com/

My Twi'lek website has information about the three kinds of body paint that are commonly used (water, alcohol, and latex based), as well as tutorials for applying the different kinds of paint. It also has links to places where body paint and other supplies can be purchased. Please excuse the dust... I'm in the process of giving the site and most of the pictures on it a complete overhaul.

http://chucrew.com/Twilek/Twilek.htm

Hope that helps!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

My spouse uses Graftobian Make-up for a professional clean look as she is allergic to latex. It breathes, looks very natural (you still have pores and you are not "glossy") and last for 14 hours. It does not clog your pores so you overheat much less frequently and it is soap removable though it is tougher if you try it before the 10-14 hour mark.

It is a professional airbrush makeup for special effects and film.

It can be purchased at the site

WWW.Graftobian.com

It is slightly expensive but well worth it. 2 bottles will cover you 100% and deep in color. She has tried the blue and the green and the purple, we have not yet received the red we ordered.

Alexis

*smiles*

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone tried Kett cosmetics? I've heard great things about their products, but have never tried it. I'm not planning a Talon, but I just thought I'd throw this as an option out there. We may end up having to play with this sort of thing a bit when my hubby gets his Vong going.

Has anyone tried Kett cosmetics? I've heard great things about their products, but have never tried it. I'm not planning a Talon, but I just thought I'd throw this as an option out there. We may end up having to play with this sort of thing a bit when my hubby gets his Vong going.

No, I've never tried that brand. I've never heard of it, in fact. Is it water based or alcohol based?

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

P.S. I just realized that a link on the first post is out of date... gotta change that!

Guest Anonymous

The website for them is http://www.kettcosmetics.com/. They offer a few different lines, although I'll admit I wish they had more variety in color. The Hydro Foundation is water-based. This can be sponge or airbrush applied. Hydro Proof is the alcohol-based one. Hydro Proof is airbrush only. They say it's "waterproof, smudgeproof and non-transferable on clothes." They also have the colorless powder to set the make-up. According to http://www.inmykit.com, it's a good product. The shade variety for Twi'lek looks seems pretty limited if you're looking for ready-made, but if you don't mind mixing you should be able to get what you need.

That website also mentions Graftobian, as well as Temptu http://shop.temptu.com/default.aspx. Temptu has the Dura line (alcohol based), which it claims will last for 5 days. The S/B line is silicone based, and the aqua is water-based. It's got a little more variety than Kett, but some of the colors for Twi'leks may need to mixed as well, depending on what you're aiming for.

Guest Anonymous

G'day all. So I'm currently building this costume along with another sith (although it'll take me a lot longer to build the courage to wear the Talon LOL!) and I have a couple quick questions about the body paint.

Firstly has anyone had any success covering tattoos with any specific brand of paint? I have the start of partial sleeves on both my shoulders which need to be covered so was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem before? Atm I'm looking at using a flesh based paint or tattoo concealer then painting over it to experiment but I have no idea how it's going to work out for me. Anyone know if there's a brand that will cover without all the additional hassle? (note, one that isn't latex since I do tend to react to it)

Second question. Pam, I saw on your site you mentioned using OCC body ink. I was wondering if you could give me a good honest opinion on what you thought of it and which colors you used. My reason for asking is that as a vegetarian I like the idea of being able to get vegan body paint but I also don't want to sacrifice the look of the costume and will wear the other paint if needed. I will be wearing leather for the costume but since the paint covers so much of the body I figured it would be worth getting an honest opinion on the ink to see what you thought and provide options.

Also I figured by asking on here and not pming you it might help others in the same position as me by providing easy to find answers!

Any help would be fantastic!

I haven't had to cover a tatoo but I have had experience with layering colours and one thing I'd recommend is using a sponge to stripple the consealer and using an airbrush for the main colour.

I have had trouble with paint layers lifting when using a brush, less so with a sponge bit it still happens. This is less of an issue when using one colour much more when you are working with two :)

Most skin coverage for tatoos will be opaque while all the red paints I've used have been transluscent, if the cover lifts and mixes with the red you wind up with a solid pink.

If your G'day is actually Aussie then I would highly recommend Latona's Inks. If you are comfy with mixing colours get the white and mix in pigments to the shade you want (I find Burnt umber and burnt sienna will mix to most skin tone be they cool or warm toned) as the white is so incredibly budge resistant I will no longer wear it on my face.

http://www.latonasmakeup.com.au/products.php

I have an NZ brand I use on my face, Reel Creations for most of my body and Latona's for my hands and elbows and will now also use it on my chest near where my Togruta headtails rub.

Can't comment on the vegetarianess off it but given these are essentially plastics and pigments (usually mineral) it would be sad if it were an issue. Sorry I can't find an MSDS but I do a have a bottle in my workroom I can have a squizz at tomorrow :)

I have my bottle of white latona's here :)

Contains: Alcohol, Ethyl Cellulose (cellulose is a plant derived molecule), castor oil (ditto). May contain Shellac (which is derived from bugs but it sounds like the bugs are not harmed- ie they are inside a tree that is scraped for the.. umm.. secretions...), Sucrose Acetate isobutyrate (chemical process uses sucrose which is plant derived). All the rest listed as possibles are pigments and they are mineral or plant based.

No idea if this helps but I figured it would at least be a start given this list is not available online that I could see! I too like to know what goes in to the stuff I paint myself with ;)

Guest Brit

I have a question about air compressors to use for an airbrush/spraygun. I bought a compressor but it is quite loud. I feel like if I tried to use it for a con it might be too loud for a hotel. Does anyone know of a fairly quiet air compressor? I know it won't be anywhere close to noiseless, but I feel like I'd be thrown out of a hotel with how loud the one I have is.

This is the compressor I use. It's pretty quiet, it's reliable, and it has survived being hauled back and forth across the country in my luggage over the last seven years!

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes50204.htm

Guest Brit

If I use reel creations body ink, does anyone know about how much it would take to cover my whole body?

If I use reel creations body ink, does anyone know about how much it would take to cover my whole body?

It's hard to judge exactly how much paint you will need, because it depends on what type of paint you use, how much body area you are painting, how much experience you have, and how thickly you put the paint on. The more practice you get, the less paint you will need. The most important thing to remember is that you should ALWAYS have extra paint on hand. Get more than you need, because it would be terrible to run out when you're getting ready for an event and you're not finished with your painting yet!

That said, this is Reel Creations, and it took me about 6 ounces:

DConHalo.jpg

::sigh:: I miss being that skinny....

Guest Rallyegirl

Being in the uk do a lot of these sites ship abroad?

Also do any of you have tattoo covering experience? How thick is the pain? And any recommended compressors/airbrush makes?

Any help is appreciated :)