• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

nihilus feedback needed

Mike M.

i'm sewing a nihilus costume for a friend and wanted a little input from you guys on the cape. i've been reading over scotts build blog and put a muslin together because i'd rather mess up with that than the raw silk he bought for the project. so feast your eyes upon the great white nihilus!

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

DSCN1665.jpg

i know i should take 4-6 inches off the outer cape, and the front isn't draping right, but to be fair, it's not glued onto the crown, it's just held on with little clamps

Guest Aysel

that's basically how I started my husband's so your on the right track. On the final one I used fabric glue and hot glue for the places that weren't sitting right.

^_^ Katie

Guest Sarah1968
I keep laughing when I look at the picture. Because you've got the horn shape and capes looking great, but Nihilus looks strange in white. :-D

I agree. I quite like the sound of The Great White Nihilus though. Very cool :)

i'm going to start working on the tunics a bit soon, and i was wondering; is there a cap sleeve on the outer tunic? or at least over top of the full sleeve? it looks like there is one in the pic

wp79c20df1.jpg

i've seen a few costumes that have that detail and a few that don't, so i'm wondering if i should put it on or not.

i'm almost finished with this costume as far as i can tell. here's the breakdown so far: all the robes are made from raw silk as suggested on scotts website. the sleeves are made from polyester gabardine i had left over from an officer uniform, i used blanket batting in the sleeves to create the quilting effect. the quilting only comes down to the just below the elbow so it doesn't bunch up as much under the glove. the tunics were based on the same pattern i've used to make officer uniforms with a lot of modification. the gloves are leather, i picked them up on the 'bay. finally, i made the "black-out" mask myself from bathing suit lining.

please remember even though i'm wearing the costume in the pics this costume is for a guy a lot bigger than me.

innerskirt.jpg

innertunic.jpg

outertunic.jpg

innercape.jpg

glovesmask.jpg

things i know i have left to do:

- mask, crown, and cape. the mask is painted but needs to be attached to the crown, and the cape needs to be attached as well.

- weathering out the yin yang.

- belt and obi. the belt i'm wearing in the pics is from my officer uniform. i'm not going to assemble the final belt until the guy gets back down here so i can fit it to him. same goes with the obi, it's really long right now; so i'll cut it down to size and attach the closure then.

- add a dickie to the "black-out" mask so cover up any possible exposed skin around the neck.

is there anything else that i've missed? should i add a cap shoulder to the outer tunic? should i make "black-out" masks for other people, i know that it's a difficult part to find.

This is looking really good so far from what I can see. But yes, a flap under the neck to hide skin and shirts is handy. I also had to make my own blackout mask, but attached a long black piece of fabric down the front that tucks into the robes as well as it wraps around to the back to completely hide the neck. Lots of weathering and the robes look like they are done!

Cheers,

Nef

The sleeves are looking a little baggy and you'll get kicked back if you don't tighten them up a bit. That's the only thing that really stands out to me that I see from this test fit that you haven't already covered. When you get to fitting the hood make sure you follow the reference pictures as closely as you can, it's the hood and ear parts that can really make or break the Nihilus build. You are on track to a good looking Nihilus and good luck with the rest of the build.

^_^ Katie

like i said, i was just modeling the costume. the guy that it's for is about 5-6" taller than me.

aaahhhh, I missed that part of the post, let him know that when he gets it he may have to do some work to get it approvable for him.

^_^ Katie

so close to the finish line now, here's the costume all put together just about ready to submit but i'd like to get some more eyes on this before i do. i spoke with katie about it earlier and she mentioned i still need to do something with the edges of the belt. i'd like pam and scotts opinion on this because i did follow his tutorial very closely when working on it, also it's scott's mask and crown. but i would like to get other opinions as well.

DSCN2500_zps66d6df7c.jpg

DSCN2495_zps54d5e536.jpg

DSCN2496_zps316e75b9.jpg

DSCN2498_zps6c6144c6.jpg

DSCN2509_zps1d85e183.jpg

DSCN2507_zps00400fe2.jpg

DSCN2513_zps0cae1fdf.jpg

DSCN2512_zpsa2e32f9c.jpg

and a couple for funsies

DSCN2504_zps01dd5e2c.jpg

DSCN2502_zps3ec1310f.jpg

DSCN2501_zps9200e8eb.jpg

Hi,

Scott and I took a look together (he's hanging over my shoulder.) We agree with Katie that the belt needs a bit more detailing; the posts need to be painted black, and it looks like the edges of the belt are still tan. (Unless that's just flash glare making them look light in color.) We painted Scott's belt studs with some black hobby enamel, and it worked really well. We used black leather dye to color the edges of his belt.

wp54bb48b2.jpg

Aside from that, Scott suggested that the robes can use a bit more weathering at the edges. We took a wire brush to his and really shredded the edges... it makes the fabric look truly weathered and wearing out. It is possible that there's already plenty of frayed edges that just don't show up well in the pictures, though. With that costume, it's always hard to tell!

Nice work.

Pam :-)

i can take the studs off and put them on a thin piece of wood or cardboard and spraypaint them. though for the edges, they're more gray than black, would it be ok if i just took a super sharpie to the edge to make it a matte black that would hide in with the fabric a bit better?

well then, since katie, pam, and scott are all in agreement i will go about commencing with their suggestions. i've already painted the belt studs black (though i did really like them in the antique brass), i'll find a big ol' sharpie to take to the edges of the belt, and i know i've got a small wire brush somewhere, i'll attack the hems and tears with that a bit to shred the fabric a bit more.

in case anyone was wondering, my friend was approved with very little issue. here's the picture we took for his legion profile:

DSCN2681_zps2129ca3c.jpg

and here's another shot with my step-daughter. she saw trevor getting into his costume so she decided she wanted to play too. so she got dressed up and came out to the garage while we were taking pictures of nihilus.

DSCN2680_zps340947a9.jpg

she thought since trevors face was completely covered she had to do the same too with the hood of her little bath robe, then she followed him around for about an hour making the cutest evil laugh.

a friend of mine has asked me to sew palpatine robes for him, i was thinking if there was any waffle weave left over after making that i'd use that and the left over raw silk to make her a little mini-sith costume.

a friend of mine has asked me to sew palpatine robes for him, i was thinking if there was any waffle weave left over after making that i'd use that and the left over raw silk to make her a little mini-sith costume.

YES! Mini-sith (sithini?) :D We need more of those!

Good looking Nihilus! By the way, where did you get your gloves from?

i picked them up on ebay from seller: glovecityleather518

i had to search through the feedback i left for others to find the name, i couldn't remember it. they've got some black gauntlet gloves up for sale right now that look pretty good.