• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Gucabe's Darth Malgus WIP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm starting this project but first of all i will like to thank Volund Starfire for all the work he has done researching this character. It has paved the way for me at least as far as collecting information and specially dissecting piece by piece.

Ok so being an Electronics Engineer it was obvious i was going to start with what i know best, how to build a lightsaber.

Fortunately there is a great starting option out there, ultrasabers has what they call the Malice and its their version of Darth Malgus Lightsaber. I did not buy the full saber because i like to make my own hilts and pick and choose the led type and soundboard. So i just bought from them the bladed emmiter and the hilt pommel. Since those are compatible with the Modular Hilt System from the custom saber shop i went and bought the electronics and the main body and other neat stuff.

It is going to be a rather large lightsaber about 20 inches long from pommel to hilt blades and a total of 48" length (i guess)

Ok so i have to wait till i get all the parts. :(

I always try no to work on every thing at the same time so until i finish the saber i'll start the next parts. For now its research research research.

Guest lperea

WOW! This look promising. I started to make a test for the leg armour using the Fierfek pepakura model, but I think it is not acurate enough for 501 standard. For the saber, I bought the Malice, and it is a great saber. The hilt may be a bit big, but it looks impressive. I wait your progress as I had to halt the building.

Guest Anonymous

Ok so i got the emmiter and the round pommel(which ill modify later)from the malice saber.. waitong on the rest of the stuff.

Quick mockup

20120730_174905.jpg

Size comparison

20120730_190545.jpg

Cause you know size does matter :mrgreen:

Guest Anonymous

Ok so there are several ways you can go about and make the saber look more like the original Game saber.

Ultrasabers always uses s "similar" approach because like all unlicensed products can't directly copy an image.

So in order for me to get a close enough saber to this:

ScreenShot2012-07-30at105129PM.png

i had to buy:

1.2" Double Female

Double ended male threaded connector style 1

MHS choke style 2

MHS body 1

here is what it should look like once is painted and assembled (note that i used another emiter and pommel just for show...)

TCSSpainted.jpg

anyways the components should get here early next week.. ill take some pictures once they do...

Guest lperea

Your concept looks good. But, I looks like you have purchased the emitter with big blades. After watching the capture of the trailer I personally think they are too big. Lets see it when you finish the saber. Here is a picture of a complete Malice with my other sabers so anyone could compare:

27yuyc9.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Your concept looks good. But, I looks like you have purchased the emitter with big blades. After watching the capture of the trailer I personally think they are too big. Lets see it when you finish the saber. Here is a picture of a complete Malice with my other sabers so anyone could compare:

27yuyc9.jpg

I totally Agree... so i ordered the smaller version ones... they arrived today at the warehouse... but i wont get to see them till tomorrow...

the choke and other components arrived and will try those on tonite...pics to follow.

Im planning on making a custom version with the larger ones... think of an AXE ;) with a larger double the size hilt like this:

IMG_2436.jpg

its the expanded universe... anything can happen LOL...

Guest Anonymous

so i received a few parts... the smaller blades, the square pommel and the choke, im still waiting for the main body and electronics which took linger for the custom machine work done to the main body.

Here is how it looks... it still needs to be painted accordingly ohhh and i ordered the emitter with the bronze button instead of red... I do not like the plastic look of the button ... ill cover the bronze one with some red ink to give it a red metallic look.

The body used here is the 5 inch extension, the main body measures 7 inches so it will be longer.

c66a6342.jpg

Here compared to Obi's

17eda5ca.jpg

And here next to the old larger blades...which is taking form too by the way ;) you will see when im done with it too.

0dc6dbd6.jpg

im supposed to get the remainder tomorrow so ill shoot some more pics.

Thanks..

Edit: I removed the bronze cap and used a red sharpie marker and it looks awesome... ill post pics later.. i recommend doing that 100% , its a lot nicer than the red plastic cap.

Guest Anonymous

ahh the remainder parts arrived.. i painted a few things here and there... on the emitter i will have a safety plug that till imitate the hilt tip... it will be removed and look like this picture to be used with the blade...

bfa3bf0b.jpg

what do you think ? its starting to look more like Malgus i believe

Guest Anonymous

Here is a side by side with the image provided by Volund Starfire

8a81fb1b.png

like i said the top piece between the blades will be a saber safety plug, the side bar graph will be custom made and what worries me the most is the larger pommel... it looks a lot larger... ill have to make an adapter of some sort...a sleve or something to go over the current one.

Ohhh almost forgot, here is the custom saber/Axe im making with the leftover malice claws... i chose a small blade because it seems like its more of a close combat weapon and it feels natural when giving it the spin...

d83f304f.jpg

Im working on the electronics for it. I might go for a different color blade... more of a fire red (orange look) ... we'll see.

Guest Anonymous

I didn't show this but here are some pics of the building process

b415ee41.jpg

c312cf76.jpg

f1c8186a.jpg

Here are a few screenshots of the hilt , im using a temporary solution for the led and lens holder, it's not very stable but good enough for show.

ab464670.jpg

4746fe43.jpg

57f84500.jpg

0ccddf01.jpg

268c269c.jpg

a0f6f87e.jpg

The saber plug is temporary too but it looks similar to what im building. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Well i did it... i went for the single piece leather wrap... with Herrinbong stich, or something like that... i liked it...

c2d0ebc3.jpg

64864d66.jpg

It's the first time i have done something like this.

871b8142.jpg

So the pommel is taking shape... i still need to find someone to make me the sleeve. Here are a few more screens

41f55e07.jpg

a91c94bd.jpg

daf2b92c.jpg

51f361d6.jpg

abc93585.jpg

3deb5417.jpg

630aee0e.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I'm also posting this thread on the FX-Sabers forum, they have been very very helpful on my Lightsaber build. In fact they recommended me to try making the pommel sleeve trough www.shapeways.com (3d printing company)

Created a shapeways account, uploaded my model and a few minutes later I was able to order it in may different material options. The cost is unbeatable since i quoted with other rapid prototyping companies... I fully recommend them. I made the sleeve model available for anyone to purchase it (no profit for me its just the cost of buying it directly from them)

So yesterday the sleeve arrived  :o

I just love when my expectations are surpassed... Shapeways and I are new best friends..

pics...

d1ab78cf.jpg

b3f0dc36.jpg

fc71df0a.jpg

0785027a.jpg

79fdaed5.jpg

d4b387d7.jpg

Comparison..

879ed13e.png

I loved the polish alumide look... i will not pain it... seriously... looks like rough aluminum....however  the 4 chips need to be painted because they need to be chrome or nickel like.

I need to sand the pommel again because the pain i used is dulling and melting in this 110+ degree weather. Then final assembly and i guess that will be it for the pommel.

Anyways i will update the pommel sleeve model slightly so anyone interested please wait for rev 2. minor tweaks... but still works as is.

Here are the test pics on the hilt...Again this is not finished yet... but i love how its turning out...

8e25c0a0.jpg

694a8d86.jpg

f1781d3f.jpg

02999e01.jpg

8a053b1e.jpg

09c11dbc.jpg

9badd3d1.jpg

6551ff9f.jpg

Thanks 4 watching.