• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

R&D on Lumiya

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ha, you said boobie head! :P That's hilarious! I know what you're saying. OK, I'm going to take a stab at forming the mesh free-handed.

Hello everyone! I just joined the group and I'm starting to research Lumiya. I have encountered a few issues and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were:

3. The legs and feet. It looks nearly impossible to have solid armor. It almost looks like a metallic silver spandex would work the best. However, I'm concerned about the part that goes under her belt and then juts out above it.

4. Upper body armor. Her right arm is solid metal. The left is easy enough. Maybe a gauntlet with an extension of some sort. Any ideas on how to fabricate?

Sewing and metal fabrication is beyond me. Any ideas would be most welcomed. Thanks and I can't wait to come out and play! :twisted:

The metal parts are overlapped lamellar style armour. In other words, you are dealing with a series of small 'hinged' pieces which pivot and allow for movement. If you have any experience with medieval armour, you will know what I am talking about. I am planning to use 16 gauge sheet steel and then get it chromed for the silver effect. An alternative is chromed ABS, but I have no experience working with plastics.

Maia

I have the patterns for the hard parts of the armour and helmet. My dad created the carboard pieces for me this spring when he was still well enough to design the templates. I dragged dad's anvil home last weekend since I will be doing the shaping needed to get it to conform to my body and articulate properly. My brother has offered to cut the sheet metal and do any of the welding needed, so now I am waiting for the sheet of 18 gauge steel to arrive.

Maia

For the helmet, you can see that she is wearing some kind of a helmet under the wrap. My suggestion would be similar to the ?horns? on Nihilus: Shape a helmet to the needed size.

It looks to be a VERY exaggerated Mandalorian cut face piece except without the visor. You can see that it is entirely a helmet in the second image with the unwrapped headdress.

It?s cool that you are using metal for the armor, but plastic would be easier for some to work with and less dangerous if you should turn too quickly and catch someone wit ha shoulder plate at cons. :P

MaraJadeVsLumiyaFinal.jpg

normal_Lumiya_partial_armour_10.jpg

If they are that close to me, then I would hit them with any shoulder armour I would be wearing. LOL. A Sith Lady needs her space, after all.

I don't like plastics or fiberglass where I need to deal with chemicals and messing with molds. Much easier to shape metal over an anvil and weld in together, but that's just me, I guess. :P

Maia