• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

A bit wiery of lifecasting my head

Guest TD4395

Guest TD4395

Ok so im looking into getting started in making latex prostetics. Such as bald caps(my wifes gonna do ventress for the 501st), elf ears and eventually a full head mask. However we are not able to do life casts of our heads. I read somewhere that you could use styrofoam heads if they were sealed but everyone one i have found so far are smaller than the avg. Adult head, and was wondering if there were any alternative ways to get a basic head for mask making? Thanks for your time, and knowledge.

There are various pre-made sculpting forms available online, in stone, plastic, or foam. You just have to do some looking for them.

Here's an example:

http://www.monstermakers.com/product/de ... -size.html

Pam :-)

If you are okay with slip casting latex you don't need to worry too much about the size of the head, you can build up with plasticine to the size you need then work your clay over that.

I have a few alien headpieces sculpted and cast this way, as they are hollow you can adjust your filling and also make use of bald caps to help keep the pieces in shape.

th_sm_DSCF4031.jpg th_sm_DSCF4033.jpg th_sm_DSCF4035.jpg th_sm_DSCF4039.jpg th_sm_DSCF4040.jpg

male and blank headforms for Asari pieces (in two parts to allow the tentacles to move independently of the neck folds.

th_sm_P1080479.jpg

Shaak Ti in mold- again blank wig form and clay.

I do recommend making a small test piece first. My first set of Asari pieces wound up with the cheek flaps sitting half way up my cheek due to following the contours of the form. This is why I used the male form in the end as it was a little more like a real head than the female. A but flat at the back though.

Guest TD4395

Im probably going to attempt this method first. Ill will deff. post a progress thread. :)

The 1st thing is going to be bald caps, than im going to attempt a mask of a bounty hunter from the clone wars animated series.

Thanks again.