• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

body suit progress pic heavy

MothMonty

Guest Anonymous

I think it's coming along well and has a LOT of potential. There are so few people attempting Malak out there, I'm really excited to see all you've done. Yes, it needs some work, but you already know that, and you've done a lot that's really awesome. I think the body suit in particular is looking really good so far. The prosthetics and belt do need some scaling rework, but that's something easily accomplished. I think you're going to end up with a really good reproduction when all is said and done. Congratulations.

It'll be nice to have my apprentice back. My backstabbing, fire-at-me-from-another-ship/won't-fight-me-face-to-face apprentice.

Malak, I've been expecting you...

*grin*

Well if you know you can't beat someone face to face, you shoot a really big gun at them from a distance while they're not looking.

I brought Malak down to SDCC but the chest piece came apart in travel. After looking at the chest piece and how it sits on my body, I believe in needs to be trimmed down a bit. It kind of looks like I have granny boobs. I'm thinking for the 'metal' belt moving aways from the sintra and using leather and then accenting it with craft foam or other leather pieces. The face plate and neck collar problem is still giving me a headache. One of my garrison members is building a vac table, and said he'd help me build molds once it's complete. At least them I could get all the detailing.

Guest Anonymous
Well if you know you can't beat someone face to face, you shoot a really big gun at them from a distance while they're not looking.

I brought Malak down to SDCC but the chest piece came apart in travel. After looking at the chest piece and how it sits on my body, I believe in needs to be trimmed down a bit. It kind of looks like I have granny boobs. I'm thinking for the 'metal' belt moving aways from the sintra and using leather and then accenting it with craft foam or other leather pieces. The face plate and neck collar problem is still giving me a headache. One of my garrison members is building a vac table, and said he'd help me build molds once it's complete. At least them I could get all the detailing.

"Granny boobs!" *dies* Oh man, you made me snort coffee out my nose. You really ARE evil. That's the second time you've tried to kill me long distance.

Sorry about the chest piece coming apart, that's really upsetting when you put a bunch of work into something and it has a costume meltdown. Ugh. But if your garrison member is making a vac table, I urge you to go ahead and make use of it. I can't imagine what a pain Revan's chest armor would've been without being able to sculpt and vac it. And that way, if you complete all your armor pieces with sculpts for vaccing, and take care of them, you can always remake something if it sustains damage.

Did you get any pics at SDCC of yourself as Malak before things went screwy? Would love to see it. This is my FIRST year not at SDCC since 2003! Wow. If I had known you'd be there as Malak, I'd've been tempted to come down just to get pics with you. :)

- Carolyn

Malak broke in transit from Edmonton to SDCC so I wasn't even able to wear it. :cry: I could have used some glue, but snaps ripped right out as well, which surprised me because of how thick the material is. I only had my Quinlan Vos and Damage (Atom Smasher ,JSA) costumes in reserve.

Well it's been over a year now and I made no progress on the Malak front. I remade the belt so it fits tighter, but my collar problem is still an issue. I don't really think there is a way to make it properly out of a firm material. After wearing my predator costume I did however have an epiphany. Why not mold the collar out of latex? Once it is done up it will be sturdy enough to appear firm. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately after I fixed up the chest pieces I stepped on it whilst packing for a move. It seems like the costuming gods never want me to get this one finished.

This is one of two long-term projects I'm looking at as well (Desann being the other). I would definitely sculpt the collar and cast it in a semi-flexible material. Smooth-On has several resins that are flexible post-cure.

I'd make the collar on the shirt/bodysuit so it velcro'd to the hard collar somehow. My own neck is quite long as it is, so I'd just scale it to fit and use a black TK-style neck liner.

Will be a challenge matching the chest armor color to the fabric.

This costume might cure me of my "head-tilting" habit. :P

~ Koda

I started this costume in 2007 and basically abandoned it. I recently decided that I want to try sculpting so I thought why not start with Malak. Here is the result of 8 hrs work. It is obviously still rough but the basic shapes are there,still a great deal to do. Any thoughts?