• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

body suit progress pic heavy

MothMonty

Guest Anonymous

On first glance, it looks great! I'd need to look at reference images to be sure, but yes...looks cool so far as I can tell!

- Carolyn

I actually found the material at a discount fabric store called "Marshals", here in Edmonton, Alberta. I was pretty lucky otherwise it would have been alot of sewing to get the 'ribbed' look.

Guest Sakara
I actually found the material at a discount fabric store called "Marshals", here in Edmonton, Alberta. I was pretty lucky otherwise it would have been alot of sewing to get the 'ribbed' look.

awesome! dont you just love those lucky finds!

Guest Anonymous

If you are talking about Malak's collar, I did do some investigation in to this for a fellow UKG member who was considering this costume, the conclusion was that it would need to be a custom sculpted piece to the individuals body in order to get it to sit correctly around the neck, and also the same again with the mouth piece.

Guest Sakara

I don't know if you've seen the gentle Giant bust thats come out, but they've designed the chin and neck piece to be very seperate. It almost looks like theres a stormtrooper type neck collar in between the chin and shoulder piece.

You can even remove the chin to see the lovely lack of lower jaw underneath....nice :D

Guest Anonymous
Yeah I made the mouth piece and back of the head piece already. It still needs to be painted and some of the detailing added ,but the colar is gonna be a tough one to do me thinks.

Yeah thats where we got slightly stuck.

lets see pics of the mouthpiece and back head piece :wink:

Here are some pics. Like I said this was after initial cuts and bending. As you can see I need to shorten the mouth piece and trim the sides, and of course add the detailing in the front. I have the back 'H' cut and bent but I haven't attached it yet. Let me know what you think...

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Looks like it is coming along. Is that just a template out of posterboard or the end-product material? Sorry, not asking to be snarky...it looks good. It's just in photos sometimes it is hard to tell what the material is!

I am excited to see some Darth Malaks out there.

- Carolyn

That's the finished material, it's made out of sintra. My Fett armor is made from the same stuff. I'm sure you're familiar with it. It comes in various colors, I've found that the Tan color is the easiest to work with.

Guest Anonymous
That's the finished material, it's made out of sintra. My Fett armor is made from the same stuff. I'm sure you're familiar with it. It comes in various colors, I've found that the Tan color is the easiest to work with.

Yep, I remade my vambraces and some other armor in Sintra for my own costume recently. Like I said, just was having trouble interpreting from the photo. Looking good. :)

Guest Sakara
Man Malak must have a giraffe neck! Between the colar, the face/head plates, I only have about a centimetre of room for the neck seal.

if you get chance see if you can get hold of the Malak gentle giant bust as this shows how the neck and chin mechanism sits and works with a real neck. you can even remove the jaw piece to see inside!

Guest Anonymous

& always remember to keep things in proportion to YOU!!! :wink:

(& MM, you're showin' some mighty nice ink there, buddy!!! :twisted: )

Well he as close to complete as I'm gonna get tonight. I will take one more crack at him before I leave for San Diego CC on monday. I'm gonna raise up the chest piece and fix the face plate so it isn't ripping up my nose. The colar needs a bit of work as well. Follow the link and let me know what you guys think.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/ ... h%20lords/

Guest Sakara

just looking at the pics...you might get a cleaner tighter fit if you scale down the belt and ear parts of the headpiece as they seem a bit big for your body.

but hey...your the first to attempt this costume so cudos for that.....