• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan - Saber(s), Misc. Costume Pieces

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I normally costume as Anakin and Darth Vader but I have really been wanting to costume as Darth Revan since playing the games on Xbox. I was wondering if anyone has a reference pic of a Revan lightsaber? I know of several places that will make EL custom lightsabers if they are given the specs of what is needed. Does anybody have an upclose pic?

Guest Anonymous

Oh and by the way, just because my user name is Jedi Nate, do not assume that I am a jedi. I like the sith much more and costume as both. I used this name because it is the name I use on several other forums. I don' t remember too well anymore most of the time, and I am a member of several forums, so this was the first name I chose, and it will continue to be my name. "I AM SITH" -Asajj Ventress, Clone Wars

Guest Anonymous
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I normally costume as Anakin and Darth Vader but I have really been wanting to costume as Darth Revan since playing the games on Xbox. I was wondering if anyone has a reference pic of a Revan lightsaber? I know of several places that will make EL custom lightsabers if they are given the specs of what is needed. Does anybody have an upclose pic?

I can give you a screencap link if you want, but as I mentioned on other threads just a bit ago, the sabers in the games, due to the graphics limitations, are extremely undetailed...basically silver cylinders with the bare suggestion of an emitter head. That's why so far in the draft standards for Revan we've mostly just specified that the saber hilt needs to be one NOT used by, for instance, a movie Jedi or Sith. But I can provide a screencap if you like, anyway. Personally, I just had a custom hilt made that seems stylistically (to me, anyway) to work with Revan's appearance, and will use that until or unless we've got better references to work from - perhaps from the Revan figure that's coming out this next year, or from a Revan appearance eventually in the KOTOR comic book.

Sorry for the slow reply - been out of computer contact most of last month.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

This saber is not, I repeat NOT, a replica of Darth Revan's saber from the game. Frankly, there's not much to the sabers in the KOTOR games, due to limitations of the graphics - most if not all of the decent looking sabers you see on the web that are identified as screencaps of KOTOR come from modded versions of the game and are designed by fans who have made their own designs and are often downloadable - but not "game canon."

So, just to have a saber I can use for now, for Revan, that is not a saber used by any character in the films, I had this design made. The original sketch was made by a friend of mine who is active in Star Wars fandom (and a professional concept artist) who very kindly gave me permission. The design strays from his in small ways, but is pretty faithful. At first, I made a prop version of my own from the local hardware store. I think it came out pretty well, but of course won't hold a blade.

Last year, I contracted with a known saber-maker on the web (PM me if you want contact information - I don't know the policy about listing people on the boards and am erring on the side of caution). On the bright side, he did an excellent job, in my opinion. On the down side, it literally took a year, he's so swamped and back-ordered. Also on the plus side, the price was quite reasonable for a custom saber and he's very friendly. Make of that what you will as far as whether his services are useful to you. I'd say if you have the time to wait, his product is very good.

Anyway, this saber is kitted out with the electronics, etc. for an EL blade. Once I stick the battery in and the blade, I'll take pictures with it so you can see it "lit up." Red blade. Eventually, I may get another with a purple for dual-wielding.

So, for what it's worth, this is my temporary "Revan" saber. If we get better visuals at some point, I may have to get a whole new saber, but it'll do for now and I'm very pleased with the look of it. It's distinctive without, I think, getting too far outside the conventional saber aesthetic, and it incorporates some of the brass color on Revan's armor.

s640x480.jpg

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous
That is one sweet looking saber if I do say so myself. :D

Thank you! I feel in love with the design the first minute I saw it. I wish I could claim it as my design, but nonetheless, it just sat there on my screen begging, "Please make me! Please make me!" LOL!

Guest Anonymous

s640x480.jpg

The red saber is a long saber, the purple is a shorter blade. Both are relatively featureless and seem basically identical in design, merely with different colored blades and different blade lengths. This featurelessness is probably due to the level of graphics detail in the game.

The sabers consist of an emitter head with a flare at the emission end and ribbing or rings in the emitter head area. One can argue that the emitter head is hexagonal or some such, although I suspect it was meant to be round in cross-section and the squaring off is simply due to graphic engine limitations. The emitter head is silver, as is the haft, and perhaps they both boast a brass-tone detail, semi-rounded, on the far end. The haft is featureless, lacking in buttons or other details.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping that the KOTOR comic gives us more to work with.

Guest Anonymous
I like simple sabers (they twirl better for me and seem to fit my hands nicer) :)

Great ref photos..

Jen

That's true, they do have that going for them. And glad there's at least a hint of brass detailing on them, personally.

Guest Anonymous

Oh dear. All of the KOTOR sabers basically...are the same.

Nihilus.jpg

As far as I can tell from the above image, the Nihilus saber is probably the same model exactly as the Revan saber. Obviously, though, since there are concept paintings of Nihilus out there (such as the detail already posted on this thread) Nihilus costumers have a bit more lattitude to work with. So do Malak costumers.

However, sadly, as I feared, the saber model is basically featureless and the same for both Revan and Nihilus. And, as you can see from this screenshot from the first game with the PC and Malak fighting, Malak's saber looks identical as well.

http://www.realitysedge.co.uk/images/ma ... malak1.png

And here we have the PC, with a saber that...also looks pretty much the same...a silver cylinder with a brass-looking detail at the far end and (when visible) an emitter head with some simple ribbing:

http://www.madshrimps.be/upload/B%7Cowi ... vallen.JPG

And here's a Dark Jedi with the same saber:

http://www.jamesplee.com/images/kotor3.jpg

I think we're dealing with a single, simple saber model for everybody, folks. Sorry. The custom saber project referenced on the Revan and Nihilus boards either means you make a game saber that looks like all the game sabers (except the double bladed, of course), or you will need to go with the Nihilus concept art (or in my case, maybe Revan from the comic, if he shows up). I hate to call it dead in the water, as it's not, technically. But all the sabers in KOTOR appear to be the same.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Well this is the one i've had made, because of a lack of reference at the time, there were no Revan saber pics on the web, I searched for days, and this was the best reference I could find:

b1.jpg

and now here's the almost finished saber, machined from Aluminium and Brass,because the game pics aren't that great to base a design off, some things were improvised a little, since this pic was taken it now has all the electric gubbins installed, it runs a 3 watt Red Luxeon LED and looking at the pics Revan3956 posted, it's not that far off from what they found, same look just subtle differences!

sj3sabre.jpg

Guest Anonymous

THAT is GORGEOUS. Just GORGEOUS. Don't mind me while I drool all over your new saber.

If I may ask, did you do the milling yourself, or was that done by Random Sabers?

Either way, that is a splendid interpretation of the saber design from KOTOR.

WOW.

*drool* S'cuse me...

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Wow! Thats a fantastic saber. I really need one of those. :D

BTW. I came across this resin hilt for sale on another site. Its actually a Ki Adi Mundi saber but the emitter looked alot like the one on the screen shot above. Obviously not the same in other respects but I thought I would share.

normal_1001663of7.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Interesting. With a careful paint job, the resin cast could probably work ok as a Revan hilt for now, definitely. Hell, the last thing I need is ANOTHER saber, but I'm really interested in the one posted a few days ago. *sigh* Costuming will suck away your life, not to mention your pocketbook.

*grin*

- Carolyn

Guest Darth Revan

I personally think that any red blade saber, that is not an iconic hilt, would qualify. There just not enough "good" picture of the hilt to say one way or another.

Guest Anonymous
I personally think that any red blade saber, that is not an iconic hilt, would qualify. There just not enough "good" picture of the hilt to say one way or another.

That is the direction I am going with the guidelines for now, definitely. We can always modify later, if need be.

Guest Anonymous
THAT is GORGEOUS. Just GORGEOUS. Don't mind me while I drool all over your new saber.

If I may ask, did you do the milling yourself, or was that done by Random Sabers?

Either way, that is a splendid interpretation of the saber design from KOTOR.

WOW.

*drool* S'cuse me...

- Carolyn

I can't take credit for it, it was a friend in the UK garrison who machined it all, he is in my opinion one of the Master Saber makers out there,although he does'nt like doing them that much, he'll only do a run of custom sabers once a year, just managed to find a reference pic in time to get this one done, i'll post some pics of the finished saber once i've picked it up on sunday!

Guest Anonymous

Well, SJ3, it's quite wonderful and I am officially jealous...but in a good way. Very well done, all around!

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Beats me. However, for a look at the saber in Revan's hand, you can look here:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... m=6&pos=14

You can also see the gold/brass detailing that shows up in-game using those computer models.

Looks to me, glancing from that image to the picture of me in costume, holding the Darth Maul saber I used at the time (1/2 of the Maul double saber, that is), that the dimensions are roughly the same as far as length and diameter. Bear in mind, however, I'm a 5'4" female, so my hands may be relatively smaller than yours. But I don't think you'd go too far wrong assuming that the basic lengths are equiv.

- Carolyn

Guest Darth Revan

I was wondering if a Royal Blue Blue LED would be acceptable for Revan's Sec lightsaber, snice I have yet to find a source for a purple Luxeon III Star LED?